Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

pads and rotors sooo easy !

lextoy

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Liquid Amethyst
well, after talking to my local dealer, they wanted 175 to install the front pads and rotors... i already had the parts, that was just labor!!!!
so i decided to do it myself, after having done the brakes on my mercedes and toyotas for years i figured, how hard can it be ??
i was right, super easy!!!
while i was in there i washed the calipers and the inside of the wheels, waxed the wheels, i upgraded to porterfield pads for low dust...
everything is back together and looks awesome, rides awesome, no squeaks :)
also used very few tools as i suspected, i read thru the c6 brake replacement and just winged it from there. caliper bracket didnt even have to come off to replace the rotor and pads, just unbolted the entire caliper and bracket assembly as one and worked from there.
while i was under there i also replaced the entire front skirt with new rubber.
i really really wish i had a lift to work on. then i could do the job in 1/2 the time, and less struggle. i hate working around my ankles/ knees for hours!

Good for you. I found the same with my shocks. For as much as they wanted. It was really easy.

i have had great success with the porterfield pads for low dust and good brake performance on my mercedes.
fancy wheels need a low dust pad or they look like crap after 3 days driving!
porterfield makes a few different compounds for their pads. track, street etc.
the high performance street pads are the R4S compound.
for the base XLR, and vettes the correct pads are
AP 731 R4S front set $153
AP 732 R4S rear set $102
this site had the best price i could find
Porterfield Brake Pad, R4S / R4 S / R4 / R4E

i did a little more writing about the rotors etc on this thread,
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/8044-oem-rotors.html#post57467

i never tried any other ceramic low dust high performance pads, like hawk or EBC. when i did my research years ago i settled on the porterfield, and i was satisified with the low dust, good performance, no squeeks, long lasting, aspects of them. used them on my benzes for 15 yrs.
perhaps some others can chime in if other pads perform better? less dust?

also to note, rear not as critical as the fronts, i did my front rotors and pads immediately, due to rusty rotors and dusty pads.
i will do the rears whenever the oem wears out, and replace the rotors with new at that time also. rear makes 1/4 the dust that the fronts make.

Thanks for the great info. I don't get 3 days, I think they get dusty even before the water dries after a wash. Lol

Last edited:
sale

they are actually selling now for $294 on Amazon
CBC.62064.02

I have used R1, drilled and slotted rotors, and I am happy with them. I got the PosiQuiet ceramic pads. Others have gotten Hawk and swear by them. Check Retailmenot.com , they had a 20% off code that worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

installed black R1 drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads

So the brakes work great. I was having problems with pulsing when I was applying my brakes at speed and decided to upgrade. Makes a huge difference. I need to get the calipers powder coated now.

Attachments

• new rotors and pads.jpg
    new rotors and pads.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 410
Contact Cadillac Tech. He has access to a powder coater that as a set of caliper cores. That way you get the new powder coated calipers and send your cores back after the new ones are installed. You need to tell him what color combo you want. I went with infrared calipers with black brackets and silver lettering.
67a0efea039e53e59857b124f1c95b42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They still look good. The wheels are dirty but took a picture for you just now.

Attachments

• rotors 8-12.jpg
    rotors 8-12.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 367
If you are buying from R1 Concepts, there is a 20% off coupon on Retailnenot.com. I saved about $80 when I ordered. This link might be outdated, but if it doesn't work, just go to their website, search for R1 Concepts, Inc and look for the 20% off brakes and rotors.
Access Denied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry