Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Painted vs. Polished stock wheels

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
The registry lists some cars with painted wheels and others with polished. I understand the chrome conversions, but did both painted and polished come stock depending on the vehicle? What's the difference? Thanks!

The registry lists some cars with painted wheels and others with polished. I understand the chrome conversions, but did both painted and polished come stock depending on the vehicle? What's the difference? Thanks!

stock wheels are polished w/clear coat finish.

stock wheels are polished w/clear coat finish.

Thanks... that's what I thought they all were. I think mine are listed as painted for some reason :dunno:

Thanks... that's what I thought they all were. I think mine are listed as painted for some reason :dunno:

Upon further review it appears the Base XLR's are listed as polished and the V's are painted. Hmmm...

Upon further review it appears the Base XLR's are listed as polished and the V's are painted. Hmmm...

The difference is the base modeled is polished with a clear coat like stated before. Then the V model has a gray/silver powder coated"painted" wheel. I believe both models had the option of chrome versions. I don't think they had like color "painted" rims.

The difference is the base modeled is polished with a clear coat like stated before. Then the V model has a gray/silver powder coated"painted" wheel. I believe both models had the option of chrome versions. I don't think they had like color "painted" rims.

That makes sense, Stella. The powder coating is the difference for the V's. Both are clear-coated for final touch.

I reckon...

Base models were polished wheels. The V's were painted wheels. Chrome wheels were not an option, except they were standard on the Platinum and Limited Edition models, then I believe standard on the '09 models. Most chrome wheels on XLR's that do not fall into the above were most likely sent to someone like LA Wheels and exchanged or bought outright. The LA Wheels are OEM wheels just chromed. Cadillac didn't see the need for the extra cost of chrome wheels on a limited production vehicle to offer it as an option.

Base XLRs came with polished wheels as standard. XLR-Vs came with painted wheels as standard. Both are clear coated. If you look at polished XLR wheel next to a "painted" XLR-V wheel, there is a big difference.

Chrome wheels became an option on the XLR-V either during the 2007 or 2008 model year. Same for the base XLR, however, chrome wheels were standard on some XLR models such as the 2006 Star Black Metallic Limited Editions, 2007 Passion Red Limited Editions, and the 2008 Alpine White Editions.

-Rob

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back