Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Power Steering Fluid - Anything Unique?

newv

Seasoned Member
Enjoying my relatively new 06 V a lot. Still getting to know it. Found the power steering fluid low (about 1/2 way up the cold mark when hot). So a system that shouldn't leak is low, makes me worry - haven't had a chance to eyeball for leaks. Has anyone dealt with power steering leaks? Found just a couple stories on old threads. Second question, is the GM power steering fluid recommended anything special? Normally I wouldn't have even thought about that, but then there is DEXCOOL...

Thanks Bruce - that's what I figured but wanted to double check.

Another PS issue

I got my car at 19,000 miles. 3 1/2 years later at 41,000 miles i started noticing a low growling sound when making left turns and then mildly accelerating. After it became more consistent and repeatable I brought it to the dealer to find out what was wrong with the brakes. PS fluid was low and what I was hearing was the PS pump. They topped it off and the noise went away. Last Fall I heard the sound again, checked and the PS level was down so I bought a pint of PS fluid and I now top it off myself. It takes very little PS fluid to go from min to max on the PS dip stick. Hope this helps.

Enjoying my relatively new 06 V a lot. Still getting to know it. Found the power steering fluid low (about 1/2 way up the cold mark when hot). So a system that shouldn't leak is low, makes me worry - haven't had a chance to eyeball for leaks. Has anyone dealt with power steering leaks? Found just a couple stories on old threads. Second question, is the GM power steering fluid recommended anything special? Normally I wouldn't have even thought about that, but then there is DEXCOOL...

There exist power steering fluids that are not compatible. There is a very simple test before you pour new stuff in. Take a very small quantity of the fluid from the lid of your existing system and mix it into a small quantity of the new fluid (I put a small amount of the new into the lid and shake one drop of the old into it.) If they mix, that is a positive sign. If they don't then don't pour it in!

This is a miscibility test and is a useful test whenever mixing two unknown fluids, just to make sure they are basically compatible.

It takes but a few seconds and could save $$$.

HTHs

I got my car at 19,000 miles. 3 1/2 years later at 41,000 miles i started noticing a low growling sound when making left turns and then mildly accelerating. After it became more consistent and repeatable I brought it to the dealer to find out what was wrong with the brakes. PS fluid was low and what I was hearing was the PS pump. They topped it off and the noise went away. Last Fall I heard the sound again, checked and the PS level was down so I bought a pint of PS fluid and I now top it off myself. It takes very little PS fluid to go from min to max on the PS dip stick. Hope this helps.

Anthony, Interesting - did you ever determine if you had a leak? Luckily my pump wasn't making noise yet but it's good to know you had a repeatable cause and effect. It does seem like a pretty amazingly small reservoir. It was about 2oz from low to full as best as I could tell. Appreciate the info.

There exist power steering fluids that are not compatible. There is a very simple test before you pour new stuff in. Take a very small quantity of the fluid from the lid of your existing system and mix it into a small quantity of the new fluid (I put a small amount of the new into the lid and shake one drop of the old into it.) If they mix, that is a positive sign. If they don't then don't pour it in!

This is a miscibility test and is a useful test whenever mixing two unknown fluids, just to make sure they are basically compatible.

It takes but a few seconds and could save $$$.

HTHs

HTH, Good idea - at least weed out any principle level incompatibility. What PS fluids have you actually seen fail this test - or which ones did you know were incompatible? All the info I found seemed to agree with Cadillac Tech that there were no fundamental differences between PS fluids. Thanks.

HTH, Good idea - at least weed out any principle level incompatibility. What PS fluids have you actually seen fail this test - or which ones did you know were incompatible? All the info I found seemed to agree with Cadillac Tech that there were no fundamental differences between PS fluids. Thanks.

I am being careful, or, if you prefer, 100% accurate.

It is easy for me to stand corrected on this, but I have an idea that Rolls Royce and Citroen use a different kind of fluid in their systems. I am on the edge of my knowledge and I do not speak from personal experience. It might be when there are more complex hydraulics fitted, most commonly for the suspension. Some power roof systems use brake fluid, that would be an example of a hydraulic system that would not be compatible with regular power steering fluid.

However, I do the miscibility test as a matter of course. If nothing else, it tells you you have taken the correct lid off! It guess it comes down to which hydaulic power fluid the manufacturer selects to use. There are many hydraulic power fluids that exist (aerospace, manufacturing etc etc), it makes sense that automotive use hits the standard one, but well, manufacturers are capable of about anything when it suits them.

At heart, the vast majority of automotive power steering fluids are modified ATF, if you were low and couldn't find power steering fluid, ATF would do at a pinch (after the miscibility test of course). Get it swapped for power steering fluid at the earliest opportunity. There are different additives.

A brief look at Wikipedia gives these two:

Automatic transmission fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - the discussion on how fluids have changed over the years offers some background on why fluids are not all the same
Power steering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - mentions the Citroen experience. It is possible that Rolls Royce also used a similar suspension system (under licence). I know Rolls Royce built their auto transmissions under licence from GM/Oldsmobile.

My 2c worth.

Last edited:
Xlrlist01,
Very interesting, Rolls and Citroen may be the oddballs. Lucky for me I don't have to worry about fluid for those two sitting on my shelf (perhaps un-fortunately in the case of Rolls). I do really like the idea of the miscibility test just as a matter of course. Having never thought too much about this previously I hadn't thought of the fact that this is all "hydraulic fluid" with whatever special additives and perhaps slight viscosity differences. I do know when I have read up on things like oil and antifreeze it is pretty amazing some of the variations in additive properties and the tradeoffs they were addressing with them. Thanks for the info.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom