Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Problem getting top down.

misty

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Light Platinum XLR.
Y'all said if I ever needed help, or had any questions, just to ask....well, I do now!
ive had my Xlr for about a month. Twice now, when putting the top down, she gets hung up and just sits there....won't go up, won't go down. Both times, after about 20 minutes the problem seemed to "fix itself". The error message is, top not secure and trunk ajar.
I apologize if there is already something out there on this Topic....I'm also new to forums and message boards and am still trying to maneuver my way around them.

has anyone had a similar issue? Last night, I almost went into panic mode....sitting in front of an office building with the top halfway down.

New Owner Same type of problem

I am also a new owner of a 2006 XLR, a new member of the XLRnet.<o:p></o>
When I try to lower my top, it stops when the top is supposed to release and go into trunk.<o:p></o>
The windows go down the trunk opens the flap comes up andthen it stops and I receive the error message Top Not Secure. I can lower the trunk manually and the flapwill go back down and the error will go away<o:p></o>
I have tried a couple of things but nothing has worked so far. I guess it could be worse and have the top stuck down.<o:p></o>
Looking for some ideas before I take it to a dealer, I have seen on this web page a Tech2 can be very helpful but it does cost some money.<o:p></o>

There are sensors to 'watch' and make sure everything is doing what is supposed to do. You both may have either a sensor out of alignment and/or a bad sensor. Without having a TechII it will be hard to figure out which one, so the best suggestion is to take it to the dealer and let them check it out.

I am also a new owner of a 2006 XLR, a new member of the XLRnet.<o:p></o
When I try to lower my top, it stops when the top is supposed to release and go into trunk.<o:p></o
The windows go down the trunk opens the flap comes up andthen it stops and I receive the error message Top Not Secure. I can lower the trunk manually and the flapwill go back down and the error will go away<o:p></o
I have tried a couple of things but nothing has worked so far. I guess it could be worse and have the top stuck down.<o:p></o
Looking for some ideas before I take it to a dealer, I have seen on this web page a Tech2 can be very helpful but it does cost some money.<o:p></o

Y'all said if I ever needed help, or had any questions, just to ask....well, I do now!
ive had my Xlr for about a month. Twice now, when putting the top down, she gets hung up and just sits there....won't go up, won't go down. Both times, after about 20 minutes the problem seemed to "fix itself". The error message is, top not secure and trunk ajar.
I apologize if there is already something out there on this Topic....I'm also new to forums and message boards and am still trying to maneuver my way around them.

has anyone had a similar issue? Last night, I almost went into panic mode....sitting in front of an office building with the top halfway down.

Been down this road... Part of what makes this problem difficult to solve is that there are no error codes stored with the roof operation. The dealer's diagnostic device (Tech II) must be connected at the time of the failure to find which sensor is causing the problem. Not very likely.

Re-teaching the roof operation by a dealer may solve your issue as a sensor may be "on the edge" making sometimes and not others.

In my case the dealer replaced all 4 sensors, glued (they like to call it bonded) in place, and cleaned and greased the ground points near the rear of the chassis. Problem solved! Prior to that my car had been to the dealer at least 10 times with them trying to solve the problem. This fix was a suggestion from the factory at a Homecoming a few years back. The sensors were about $30 each and are not much more than potentiometers in a special housing.

HTH

Lid Problems

I have this problem every once in a while. I have learned to check the trunk to be sure that the protector is locked into place securely. If it is, the top normally goes down, unless something is in the way that I missed. Also The message that the top is not secure seems to come from that same issue. i have been driving with the top down and had that message pop up (it also interfers with the radio), when I get a chance I stop and make sure the protector is locked into place and that seems to solve the problem. Hawk

I have this problem every once in a while. I have learned to check the trunk to be sure that the protector is locked into place securely. If it is, the top normally goes down, unless something is in the way that I missed. Also The message that the top is not secure seems to come from that same issue. i have been driving with the top down and had that message pop up (it also interfers with the radio), when I get a chance I stop and make sure the protector is locked into place and that seems to solve the problem. Hawk

Sometimes this happens to me too I too double check 1st the trunk then I raise the roof fully and lower it again. I do this so it can fully "reset" the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What they are describing is when the top "freezes" part way through the motion of opening/closing. If the safety divider in the trunk is not in place the process will not start. If it freezes there is nothing that can be done but wait. It can be very frustrating.

There is a procedure to raise and lower the top manually that should be reviewed, if not done, by everyone just in case you need to do it sometime. It requires a "special" tool that came with the car when new.

It should also be mentioned that if the roof will not go down and there is no message displayed the windows may need to be re-indexed. This is particularly needed after a battery change or dead battery. Run the windows down and keep the buttons depressed for a three count then up and hold the button for a three count. The windows can be done individually. This will re-index the window position so that the roof knows where they are.

Been down this road... Part of what makes this problem difficult to solve is that there are no error codes stored with the roof operation. The dealer's diagnostic device (Tech II) must be connected at the time of the failure to find which sensor is causing the problem. Not very likely.

Thanks, Phrede for anticipating my next question of whether the codes would be stored.

Top down problem

Thank you all......to the dealer it is! I appreciate the help.

hubby and I went to sonic for milkshakes tonight....this car just makes everything special!

That's what this website is here for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hubby and I went to sonic for milkshakes tonight....this car just makes everything special!
Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

How did you ever live with out it ??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back