Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Warning! RUBBER SNUFFERS

xlr 443

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR-V
This past summer with the temps, rather high while washing my car I noticed a tar like substance on the rear cover where it meets the deck lid. Upon further investigation I noticed that the rubber snuffer had melted. Has anybody experienced this in the past ?

Rayzor

yep they are available new. Made out of a rubber that will break down over time. also the adjusters on the deck lid near the taillight are made of the same material.

I have two that need replacing but the parts guy at my local dealership says he's never heard of that part and/or he can't find them and says they're not available. I guess I will have to research deeper into the topic...

I don’t know what sniffers are, but the part you are looking for is called a bumper, part number 10346849 and is still available. The under $5.00 at gmpartdirect.com

I have two that need replacing but the parts guy at my local dealership says he's never heard of that part and/or he can't find them and says they're not available. I guess I will have to research deeper into the topic...

What do the rubber snuffers actually do? It's a little unclear from the diagram.

Bill

Bill,

If you are talking about the bumpers, they help keep the trunk centered when it is closing and are also an adjustment for the ‘up and down’ limit on closure.

What do the rubber snuffers actually do? It's a little unclear from the diagram.

Bill

If anyone is fortunate enough to locate this part, please advise source. I've checked with dealers and many of the "GM Parts..." online places with no luck. Thanks!

trunk align bumper

Hey, I purchased the last two OEM truck bumper alignment units know to exist last fall. Both mine melted last summer. I am working on making molds now to make reproductions units. Should not be to difficult. When I finish I will post information on this site. Probably sell for just a couple bucks. :thumbsup

actually GM still showed them in stock a month or so ago so I ordered 40 of them and they shipped 3. They have not discontinued the part number yet so my parts guy says I should get them some time before the end of the month. It would be good to have a backup plan if they don't make any more. Aveco has one that is very close to what we need and will work for about 3$ so don't invest too much time .

Well that is great news. GMparts direct told me about the last two...that being said how or what is Aveco? Sorry to sound dumb but I would like to have two more. Any direction you can give would be great and thanks for the response !!

Both of mine are gone. Would appreciate a head’s up towards acquiring a few myself. Thanks!

I was looking for the one that closely matched ours but have not found my notes. Once the dealer told me they had them I stopped looking . then he told me they had three. hahaha I sent you a pm

I replaced mine 3 yrs ago because they had turned to goo. What a mess!! So I bought a couple extra when I replaced the 2 on my trunk lid. I just checked mine and they feel mushy so Im thinking about taking them off until something else comes available. I cant get access to my spares for a couple months so I'll know later how they hold up in a storage container. My car is usually in the garage with temps never and seldom above 80 degrees. What a shame ... $108,000.00 car and the parts melt. :mad:

I tried ordering these from gmpartsdirect and they said they have none remaining. Anyone found an alternative yet?

wait another couple of weeks .if Gm is going to make them the yshould by the end of the month .if not once the ydiscontinue the part number we have alternatives. But no use working on those if GM makes more of the part. i orderer 40- 50 I forget and they shipped the last three they had so with an order paid and waiting they may fill it or they may not .I will know as soon as they decide. I put you on my list to notify you .

well by my ordereing a bunch of them and my parts guy calling them( often) they have made more and seem to be in stock again. Just like I told people to order the top modules and enough did that they made more. I ordered 10 and paid 7500$ to help get them made. Anytime a part is still listed but out of stock if enough people buy and pay for an order GM will usually make a few to fill the orders at least. so you better order a couple of these and hold on to them as next time they may discontinue them. part number 10346849

Thanks for the head's up, LTS. Local Caddy parts guy said he was showing some stock in Lansing and I ordered four. Now to see if they actually arrive...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom