Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Salvage yard parting out 2 XLR's

flood cars

both are flood cars and the salvage yard photos show water way up In the cars. Body parts ok. Any electrical I would avoid and also lamps would have had water in them. Danger will Robinson DAnger

What?

I went to the link, and there is a You Tube video on one of the XLR cars... it appears to have no apparent damage, and the yard owner demonstrates that it is entirely operational as if he were selling the car.... what is up with this? I checked his web site for XLR head lights $2,900 a piece.... so Is a 50K 12 year old XLR worth more in parts than for used car resale????? Please explain. James Landi

flood cars

some flood cars cannot be resold. they get branded titles. "THEY ALL SHOULD" > the selling salvage yards bring crews in to clean and recondition the cars because many go over seas. Just because a car runs and drives does not say anything for a car that's been In a flood. Corrosion kicks in on ALL electrical parts. even if just the carpets get wet. They cannot remove all the moisture I n the car unless it is completely taken apart and every part dried ,cleaned inspected. When a car with moisture sits in the hot Texas and Florida sun for a month or two that moisture gets into everything. The car is sealed and the sun draws the moisture into every crack and crevice. These cars sat in water for days before being moved. Gm builds car to be dry in rain and driving but summer a part in water for several days and it can easily leak. Even parts that appear clean have been subjected to salt and brackish water. Its not just raining into a car. Its polluted water.And yes if you break down a car that was worth 20k$ maybe not 50k As you asked.. it will not bring near as much with a branded title as it will in parts. Not to say that some few cars can be bought cleaned parts replaced etc .One owner on here was talking about a shallow flood car that he bought and after 4 months started having all sorts of electrical problems. He took the wiring harness out and there was corrosion all over it. every plug that was wrapped had rust/corrosion. seat motors , seat tracks all are not even painted from the factory or have very little paint . They will rust when wet. Both of the cars listed had flood markings required by insurance companies before sale that showed water almost to the xlr emblems on the fenders.. Looking forward to which ebay seller drops the other shoe and starts lowering the prices on headlights and taillights. The body models have come down from 1450 to 500 due to people getting a bunch of them and not being able to sell them so Lets see when the headlights start falling to a more reasonable 1200 and taillights 1000.

I can only assume it has a salvaged title making parts worth more than the car. They want more for the lighting than the engine. That's gouging and taking extreme advantage of the parts shortage. After a while we'll have to worry about thieves stealing them for parts.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Salvaged XLR

I can only assume it has a salvaged title making parts worth more than the car. They want more for the lighting than the engine. That's gouging and taking extreme advantage of the parts shortage. After a while we'll have to worry about thieves stealing them for parts.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If you can bear to watch his You Tube video, he makes a point of demonstrating not only the operation of the mechanicals---engine, seats, but most pointedly the front and rear lights... he's selling them as if they are not affected by flood damage... and then in the final moments of his presentation, ends with "God bless America" --- and my reaction, "God help those folks who purchase damaged goods from this person, posing as an honest broker of "used" XLR parts. Happy day, James

do you have one of theses

Genuine GM Parts 15284659 Passenger Side Front Fender Inner Genuine GM Parts 15284659 Passenger Side Front Fender Inner Panel
also looking fo the driver side inner rear panel Part #:10341340, B004GDAOMQ, C1502B, 11767092
thanks in advanced

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry