Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Scan Tools

BusaMan

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR
After reading thru the discussion of the Tech2 (on the "Top is Stuck" thread), I'm convinced that it's the one-all-end-all of scanners, BUT it's really high bucks. I'm not planning on opening a dealership, so it's pretty much out of the question for me to spring for thousand(s) of $$$ for one. (Retired, fixed income, blah, blah...)

My question to you folks is: Aren't there scanners that will work w/ the XLR that can do an OK job for a ton less money?

For example, I read, w/ great admiration, the thread about how to program a replacement fob (wonderful writeup, BTW). I'd like to be able to do simple things like that, and interpret DTC's. Can't something like the Equus 3120 do that kind of stuff? It's around $150±. :confused:

Tim

Unforunately no.

The "other" scan tools will only read the "generic" OBDII codes... so for basic engine diag the "other" scan tools are typically ok... stuff like misfires or emissions related stuff.

But for everything else, you need the Tech2

I've played with the other scanners and eventually bit-the-bullet and bought a Tech2 and I can tell you that the I was only seeing 10% or less of what the Tech2 was showing before getting it.

Essentially anything that is either GM specifc or XLR specific will only be in the Tech2... so key fobs, folding top, radio, onstar, etc.. anything but the "basic" engine stuff will need a tech2... even many of the engine stuff will need a tech2 as well - like supercharger bypass valve or intercooler pump stuff... oh and stability diagnosis, or even transmission work.

Drat!!! :pukeface:

I was really hoping someone would tell me that, "... the Kenmore 355 is the scan tool that will do everything for $99.", or something like that. Next, I guess someone will tell me the Tooth Fairy is a myth... :bash:

Well, firstly, THANK YOU for the dash of reality, Richard. I'm really going to have to do some deep reasoning to justify the thousand(s) of $$$ for that Tech2 tool. The Engineer in me wants to know all about what's going on w/ the two Caddys we have, but the pragmatist side of it all points me to the "let the dealer fix it" strategy. My motivation is intellectual curiosity, but the dealer tech(s) have had the training to do a better job, I'm afraid, and they already have the equipment.

Thanks again for the explanation! Happy New Year, y'all...

Tim

Unforunately no.

The "other" scan tools will only read the "generic" OBDII codes... so for basic engine diag the "other" scan tools are typically ok... stuff like misfires or emissions related stuff.

But for everything else, you need the Tech2

I've played with the other scanners and eventually bit-the-bullet and bought a Tech2 and I can tell you that the I was only seeing 10% or less of what the Tech2 was showing before getting it.

Essentially anything that is either GM specifc or XLR specific will only be in the Tech2... so key fobs, folding top, radio, onstar, etc.. anything but the "basic" engine stuff will need a tech2... even many of the engine stuff will need a tech2 as well - like supercharger bypass valve or intercooler pump stuff... oh and stability diagnosis, or even transmission work.

if you're an engineer you'll love the tech2 - it gives you tons of information... it drills down and will show you what each of the sensors are seeing... both intrepreted output (like lets say in PSI) and what the sensor is seeing in voltage or other state (on, off, etc)

Also - the tech2 will allow you to actually command things... for instance, I was diagnosing a supercharger bypass valve on my car and I could get the tech2 to command the bypass to open, and slowly close... turns out that it was fine between 0% - and 90% but as soon as it hit 100% the valve would fail and show 100% but actually go to 0%... the tech2 would so that it was commanded to 100% but it would also say that it the ECM could no longer confirm that it was at 100%... and once I put a manual vacuum gauge on it I could see that the tech2 was telling me the truth. So I ordered a replacment solenoid. This would have taken hours to track down without a tech2.

I also had an issue where my brake pedal position sensor when out of calibration... so my stability track would shutdown and I'd get the message on the DIC... plugged the tech2 in and I could see that the codes were for the brake pedal, and I could see that the sensor was working correctly since I can see the sensor outputs on the tech2 display... then I could command the BCM to do a pedal sensor recalibration and boom the problem was fixed...

Expensive Yes, but nothing else can do that sort of stuff... I bought mine used on ebay for about $2500

I believe the Tech II's will become technically obsolete in the relatively near future, making the purchase of a used one economically feasible (for backyard mecanics like me).

I really hope GM does what Toyota presently does. They have relatively cheap cables you can buy to hook your PC (the USB port on your laptop with WiFi) up to your car. You may then go online and (of course), for a fee, "lease" the software to do whatever you want to the car.

Tho the equiment in V-Love's links looks pretty sweet.... ;-)

I believe the Tech II's will become technically obsolete in the relatively near future, making the purchase of a used one economically feasible (for backyard mecanics like me).

I really hope GM does what Toyota presently does. They have relatively cheap cables you can buy to hook your PC (the USB port on your laptop with WiFi) up to your car. You may then go online and (of course), for a fee, "lease" the software to do whatever you want to the car.

They do, its called an MDI and you need it for any car newer than 2010 I believe... the problem is that the price for "leasing" the software is more than the Tech2 for a year!

But since the XLR had stopped production in 2009 there really isn't anything the MDI can provide that that the Tech2 can't do - this isn't true for the newer GM cars, however

Yes, you must have a CANDi module for the XLR. The link Larlar provided has a CANDi module.

The Vertronix units are Chinese clones of the GM Tech 2's.

CC

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back