Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Steering wheel design

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
I was approaching the belief that only XLR's incorporated the matching wood grain on the top one quarter of the steering wheel... and then I see one of Rob's postings of an '06 V with that type of wheel. My V's wheel is completely leather-wrapped. It certainly appears that there was a LOT of variation within the interior trim schemes of our cars.

Does a site exist that would show the trim options available within each year's offering?

The XLR-V does not have the wood section on the steering wheel. All other XLR models do have the wood on the steering wheel that matches the interior wood.

The XLR-V does not have the wood section on the steering wheel. All other XLR models do have the wood on the steering wheel that matches the interior wood.

I thought that the base XLR model as of 2008 had a leather wrapped steering wheel for the heated option?

I know my base 2008 is leather wrapped and has the heated option.

Sully

Heated steering wheel

Jaxsully... just where is the activator for your heated wheel... on the wheel itself or elsewhere? Thanks.

Jaxsully... just where is the activator for your heated wheel... on the wheel itself or elsewhere? Thanks.

Not looking at it right now I believe it is on the right side of the steering wheel controls. I will look when I head out to lunch and snap a picture if needed.

My 2009 Platinum has a wood sectioned steering wheel and is also heated with the control on the left side the radio controls on the right side
I may add that the top wooded section is not heated, just the leather wrapped portion of the steering wheel.

I thought that the base XLR model as of 2008 had a leather wrapped steering wheel for the heated option?

I know my base 2008 is leather wrapped and has the heated option.

Sully

2008 was the first year for heated steering wheels on not only the XLR but also the STS & CTS & there was a supply problem with the steering wheels. There were quite a few XLRs that were built without the wood section steering wheels. These cars were fitted with the all leather wrapped steering wheel and there was a discount applied to the sticker price. Some customers declined the discount and had the correct steering wheel installed when they became available.
I thought I had some information on this subject but I haven't been able to locate it. If I find it I will let you know. :)

You are correct Bruce. The early 2008 XLRs came with the leather wrapped wheel. When Jean got her 2008 at Bowling Green at the Rendezvous, it came with the leather wrapped wheel. We were told that there had been a problem with the wood cracking and they didn't offer the wood top part until later in the model year. They would replace the steering wheels on the earlier cars if you wished. Jean took hers to the local dealer later in the year and had the wood top steering wheel replaced at no cost.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom