Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Steering Wheel Replacement

danno58

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Zenon Blue
The leather on my steering wheel is starting to look ratty. Has anyone replaced their wheel? Anyone know where I can get some instructions?

The leather on my steering wheel is starting to look ratty. Has anyone replaced their wheel? Anyone know where I can get some instructions?

Can't help with the technical issues here, I imagine it is a bit tricky, considering the airbag issue.

What color is your wheel?

Do you already have a replacement?

I have a good reason for asking, trust me.

Mine was looking a little ratty so I had a local DrVinyl re die it. 50 bucks and it looks like new.

Definitely understandable that you want to keep your XLR in top shape. They are rare and beautiful cars. I would suggest visiting a local dealer to see if they can order a new wheel or make other suggestions for maintenance. I hope you find the right solution. Let us know what you discover. Thank you and I hope you have a great holiday season!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

The color is shale and yes, I have a replacement already. Picked it up up on ebay...new in box.

With mine it is the drivers seat. When I bought it, it was looking a little used. I guess it's always when you get out of the car you crunch to that side. It happened to my Honda crv too. The edge of the seat. Oh well if I replace it then it'll just do the same in a couple years.
This is a great site for questions and answers about our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can still get the drivers seat covers from GM but the passenger side is discontinued. That's the next thing ill be trying to track down. Also the shift knob.

So... Some of us might want to stock up on xlr parts. I see on shows that some guy has a building filled with old Porsche parts. I guess they go to junk yards and bring back the old cars. Then they sell the parts to people that own and looking to restore.
The moral of what I'm getting to is I guess some of us should go and do what that guy did before these parts are totally "lost".

So... Some of us might want to stock up on xlr parts. I see on shows that some guy has a building filled with old Porsche parts. I guess they go to junk yards and bring back the old cars. Then they sell the parts to people that own and looking to restore.
The moral of what I'm getting to is I guess some of us should go and do what that guy did before these parts are totally "lost".

But who has THAT much room??? OR that much $$$, for that matter??

True especially in these times.

SMC Performance bought the Bowling Green XLR inventory when production ceased, so someone has the $$$ and room!!:lol::lol:

Being the wheel is leather couldn't we use shoe polish??? A lot cheaper & easier than replacing the wheel--no?

The leather is worn in certain areas. Don't think shoe polish will cut it. It probably wears about as good as any other leather but since it is light colored it shows more.

steering wheel re-wrap

My original wheel cracked in the wood part in 2 places. My 2006 was still under factory warranty at the time. There are no new steering wheels available so GM got a good used steering wheel for me at no charge. I was able to get my old wheel back from the dealer and now I would like to have the leather from my old wheel put on the replacement wheel. Can anyone recommend a steering wheel restorer that can do an excellent job?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom