Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Strange. Very strange

buki

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Xenon Blue XLR
I hit the switch to open my fuel door this afternoon. After filling when I pushed it shut, the door would not stay closed.
I went to the manual and decided it could be fuse #52 in the inside fuse box. When i opened the fuse panel I could not find that fuse. I think it is behind an enclosure which I could not figure how to open.

So I decided to tape the door shut for the ride home tomorrow. I went out with the tape and when i pushed it to to tape it, it shut perfectly.

What happened? Is it truly fixed?

HELP!

Hi, no big deal, it's probably the spring inside the plunger.it rusts out and breakes.search here for how to fix.if not pm me and i'll talk you thru it.:wave:

Al...I tried to PM you and apparently it didn't work.

So here goes. There was not a link in your reply so if you can post it as a reply. I searched all of the forums and found very few posts regarding this problem. One I found involving removing the rear wheel and wheel well and replacing a hidden solenoid. That cant be practical since the door closed properly after a bit. Your analysis seemed much simpler than that.

Thanks in advance your help.

So here goes. There was not a link in your reply so if you can post it as a reply. I searched all of the forums and found very few posts regarding this problem. One I found involving removing the rear wheel and wheel well and replacing a hidden solenoid. That cant be practical since the door closed properly after a bit. Your analysis seemed much simpler than that.

The plastic cord that holds the fuel cap may have kept it from closing. I closed mine and then could not get it open the next time I went to fuel. I always watch it when closing to make sure it isn't in the way and have had no problem since.

I got your pm,sent you a new one,if it's working now maybe it is sticking at times or it's the cap lanyard as others have said.either way give give it a spray of wd40 will help. pm me if I can help.:) Al

You have almost certainly found the right answer, don't ignore it.

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/6856-gas-cap-door-solenoid.html

There is a nylon 'washer' inside a nylon type tube. The 'washer' bit pulls on the cable that releases the door and gets stuck, so the spring is not able to let the catch return into position to hold the door closed. If you read through the posting you will find one I wrote (amongst others) that sets out all the steps to fix it, assuming you have the same problem. From your description, you do.

HTHs

I'd suggest if it starts sticking again give a shot of silicon spray as WD-40 tends to attract dust from the oil in it!!! Just my opinion Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry