Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Suggestions? Replacement High Mount Brake Light Dosen't work?

CNC

Supporting Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Gold Mist XLR & 79' Eldorado Convert
My old slightly chipped and cracked High Mount Brake Light was replaced with one from a salvage yard out of Wisconsin. I installed it today and am shipping the old slightly damaged one off to a friend in Chicago tomorrow. --- Anyhow, on the replacement one now installed and all the wires are hooked up correctly, it does not illuminate when I step on the brake pedal? :confused:

The liner is still out of the trunk and it has wires glued in various spots to the top of the liner? The liner was plugged into little sockets on each side of the trunk. It was and is still out of the car. I haven't a clue what the tiny wires would be for on top of the trunk liner? All I can think of is that they are for tilt mercury switches for some purpose? They wind around on the top inside of the trunk liner? --- Or are they radio antennas? Would these wires not being hooked up prevent the high mount not to illuminate if not installed?

I am going to jump a 12V power source directly to the lead wires to the high mount in the morning to see if it works? I notice that there are no exposed bulbs, and the high mount is a sealed unit. Ugh. --- The replacement one I installed is indeed 'Pristine'. It just doesn't work. I did have the battery disconnected while I did the work. ---- Suggestions?

I'd probe with a multi-meter to verify you have voltage at the connection (the new light side of the connection). Also verify polarity. Lights are just resistors (or diodes) - if you are getting voltage to the connection, either the wire is broke after your connection or the light is burned out.

I'd probe with a multi-meter to verify you have voltage at the connection (the new light side of the connection). Also verify polarity. Lights are just resistors (or diodes) - if you are getting voltage to the connection, either the wire is broke after your connection or the light is burned out.

Better idea than hooking 12V directly to it. I agree. Will do that in the A.M. --- I suspect the light is burned out. Not good as I can see no way that is apparent to take it apart to get to it? It is a sealed unit and there are no exterior bulb sockets, just the plug block for the harness.

My old slightly chipped and cracked High Mount Brake Light was replaced with one from a salvage yard out of Wisconsin. I installed it today and am shipping the old slightly damaged one off to a friend in Chicago tomorrow. --- Anyhow, on the replacement one now installed and all the wires are hooked up correctly, it does not illuminate when I step on the brake pedal? :confused:

The liner is still out of the trunk and it has wires glued in various spots to the top of the liner? The liner was plugged into little sockets on each side of the trunk. It was and is still out of the car. I haven't a clue what the tiny wires would be for on top of the trunk liner? All I can think of is that they are for tilt mercury switches for some purpose? They wind around on the top inside of the trunk liner? --- Or are they radio antennas? Would these wires not being hooked up prevent the high mount not to illuminate if not installed?

I am going to jump a 12V power source directly to the lead wires to the high mount in the morning to see if it works? I notice that there are no exposed bulbs, and the high mount is a sealed unit. Ugh. --- The replacement one I installed is indeed 'Pristine'. It just doesn't work. I did have the battery disconnected while I did the work. ---- Suggestions?

Good to see you found one. Those wrapped up wires could be for the xm antenna. Does your car have the wort on the trunk lid? I would personally check the operation before you install. Did your old one worked fine which I'm guessing it did. Check fuses for the system you never know. Then apply voltage manually to the light assy it should illuminate. Good luck

Hi Stella : )

Good to see you found one. Those wrapped up wires could be for the xm antenna. Does your car have the wort on the trunk lid? I would personally check the operation before you install. Did your old one worked fine which I'm guessing it did. Check fuses for the system you never know. Then apply voltage manually to the light assy it should illuminate. Good luck

Yes, the replacement one cosmetically is perfect. It just doesn't work. :confused: Yeah, the old one now gone, shipped off, does work. Although it had a few small gouges at the top and about a 1" crack just above Caddy Crest emblem. I am again going out in the unheated garage in my eskimo uniform : ) with a volt meter and will go through the whole circuit. It has been bitter cold here. Monday A.M. was -19 below and the garage is unheated.

The donor car this one came off of was totaled. Hit in the front and wiped out pretty much up to the windshield. I suspect that the impact may have killed all the led lights in the high mount?

I found a company in Tennessee that takes them apart and rebuilds the internal wiring and installs new led's; logandiagnostic@aol.com. I have a feeling I will be shipping it off to them. Really nice guy! He emailed me the complete wiring schematic in case I need it.

Thanks for the input. I'll get it sorted. Merry Christmas

PS - Yes the wires I questioned are for the antenna. You are correct. There is no 'wort' for the On-Star.

Yes, the replacement one cosmetically is perfect. It just doesn't work. :confused: Yeah, the old one now gone, shipped off, does work. Although it had a few small gouges at the top and about a 1" crack just above Caddy Crest emblem. I am again going out in the unheated garage in my eskimo uniform : ) with a volt meter and will go through the whole circuit. It has been bitter cold here. Monday A.M. was -19 below and the garage is unheated.

The donor car this one came off of was totaled. Hit in the front and wiped out pretty much up to the windshield. I suspect that the impact may have killed all the led lights in the high mount?

I found a company in Tennessee that takes them apart and rebuilds the internal wiring and installs new led's; logandiagnostic@aol.com. I have a feeling I will be shipping it off to them. Really nice guy! He emailed me the complete wiring schematic in case I need it.

Thanks for the input. I'll get it sorted. Merry Christmas

PS - Yes the wires I questioned are for the antenna. You are correct. There is no 'wort' for the On-Star.
Yeah the guy or girl probably mashed the brakes so hard to try to avoid their accident that the power surge popped all the filament wires in the LEDs. Have you tried contacting who you purchased the newer light bar from. Good luck

<snip> It has been bitter cold here. Monday A.M. was -19 below and the garage is unheated.

<snip>

CNC, where in Colorado do you live? We "only" got down to -7ºF in Pueblo West.:chuckle

Gonna be in the "high" 50's today. :wave:

Tim

The small wires on the bottom of the rear decklid beneath the rat fur liner are for the radio antenna.

CCC

I believe those wires are for the AM/FM
I had my apart and forgot to plug the connectors back together and the radio FM had no signal. Had to tear it back apart just to plug them back together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry