Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Suspension Noises - GM parts vs after market parts

vette100

I have been replacing parts to fix a suspension noise in the front end of my XLR. It is amazing to me that a car with 30K miles on it makes so much noise. Anyway I have replaced the shocks. I am looking now at replacing the tie rods and control arms. I have two choices I can use GM parts or I can use aftermarket. eBay has a brand called Mevotech that seems reasonable. Does anyone have any experience on the quality of these aftermarket suspension parts? or maybe there is something out there better than the GM original parts? Thoughts? Thanks.

I have been replacing parts to fix a suspension noise in the front end of my XLR. It is amazing to me that a car with 30K miles on it makes so much noise. Anyway I have replaced the shocks. I am looking now at replacing the tie rods and control arms. I have two choices I can use GM parts or I can use aftermarket. eBay has a brand called Mevotech that seems reasonable. Does anyone have any experience on the quality of these aftermarket suspension parts? or maybe there is something out there better than the GM original parts? Thoughts? Thanks.

What kind of noise are you experiencing? Creaking/popping?

I would classify it as a pop. It occurs when I turn the wheel. Also when I start the car and simply back out I hear a pop once or twice.

The shop said that the bushings on the control arms and the ball joints are the issue. Cadillac said it was the shocks. turns out that was not it.

I will say that the differential fix you posted did fix the pop in the rear end. So thanks for that.

I would classify it as a pop. It occurs when I turn the wheel. Also when I start the car and simply back out I hear a pop once or twice.

The shop said that the bushings on the control arms and the ball joints are the issue. Cadillac said it was the shocks. turns out that was not it.

I will say that the differential fix you posted did fix the pop in the rear end. So thanks for that.

Is it the same shop that misdiagnosed it and replaced the shocks?

Or another? Probably the control arm bushings calling it quits

I don't know how cadillac was unable to find the problem. What year is this car? If it has strut mounts have them checked. In the FWD cadillacs if you hold the coil spring as the steering wheel is turned you can feel the strut mount pop. I am not sure what the front end looks like on yours? What year?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Is it the same shop that misdiagnosed it and replaced the shocks?

Or another? Probably the control arm bushings calling it quits

No. I took the car to a different place. :)

I inspected the bushings. They look good. The are not ripped or anything. They are discolored from age.

I don't know how cadillac was unable to find the problem. What year is this car? If it has strut mounts have them checked. In the FWD cadillacs if you hold the coil spring as the steering wheel is turned you can feel the strut mount pop. I am not sure what the front end looks like on yours? What year?

It is a 2004.

The answer from the Cadillac dealer was to replace every part in the suspension. It is not the first time they tried to convince me to buy parts I do not need.

It is a 2004.

The answer from the Cadillac dealer was to replace every part in the suspension. It is not the first time they tried to convince me to buy parts I do not need.
That is terrible no diagnostics or analysis, just parts replace.

No. I took the car to a different place. :)

I inspected the bushings. They look good. The are not ripped or anything. They are discolored from age.

I would suggest taking it to a Corvette shop or at least a Chevy dealer that has a lot of experience with Corvettes. It's the exact same front end that is on the Corvette from that era. 30,000 miles is way to little for front end parts to be wearing out. They will have a lot more experience with front end problems on the XLR than a Cadillac dealer.

I would suggest taking it to a Corvette shop or at least a Chevy dealer that has a lot of experience with Corvettes. It's the exact same front end that is on the Corvette from that era. 30,000 miles is way to little for front end parts to be wearing out. They will have a lot more experience with front end problems on the XLR than a Cadillac dealer.
That is a really good point

Check the spring adjuster pads. I have found both fronts broke off on mine and the pads need to be greased where they meet the lower swing arm or you may get grinding noises.

I have a 2006 Basic XLR and am starting to hear noises coming from the front end like something is loose. Has anyone had this problem and could you give me some advise?

Thanks

Gary
Sorry i didnt answer faster. I am having the same noise/problem as others here. I looked up a bushing kit and it was $700. does that sound right?

I found spring adjusters like oem ones on a corvette site 123parts.com. Pair was about $40 with shipping. I’ll let you know what I think when they come in.

b34e02936ed0054037195c89bca9c557.jpg

No more squeaks and grinding noises. I will admit that this is not proper install procedures but worked fine. I put jack with block of wood under spring as far out as I could. Removed brake caliper and rotor for access.
Disconnect sensor.
Remove end links.
Remove lower bolt from shock.
Remove bolts from upper control arm.
Swing assembly out and around and downward pressure to get enough space to install adjuster.
Reassemble is reverse but make sure you have lower shock mount. Aligned before putting upper control arm bolts in.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom