Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Tai Light Issue

Caddyjack

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
Tail Light Issue

Hey....my driver side tail light is much dimmer than the right side. The owners manual says take it to the dealer to change the bulbs. But I thought you guys might know how I could fix this at home. Here's a photo: DSC04341.jpg

Last edited:
PS.....the left turn signal clicks twice as fast as the right turn. Maybe that fact will help those of you who know about these modern cars.

That would normally indicate a burned out bulb as there is less resistance in the circuit. Not sure on these taillights, are they LEDs? If so do you have to change the whole unit?

Haven't seen this before on the XLR, but I would look at the front drivers DRL to see if it is operating. It could be on the same circuit and as Fireduck stated would have less resistance causing the taillight to be dimmer.

PS.....the left turn signal clicks twice as fast as the right turn. Maybe that fact will help those of you who know about these modern cars.

And yes, the rear taillights are LED. The entire unit would have to be changed.

That would normally indicate a burned out bulb as there is less resistance in the circuit. Not sure on these taillights, are they LEDs? If so do you have to change the whole unit?

Is there a ground wire to the lights? If so, check that.

That's the big problem I have with led bulbs. Yes their nice,compact etc. they say they last forever yeah right. Now instead of buying a three dollar bulb to fix the problem. You have to spend probably 500 for a new assembly. How is that better?:mad:
I see led brake lights out all the time and just one bulb or two out of the whole strip. Looks terrible, and not many options to fix. I know my brakes arnt lite for 50,000 hours? Seems like we went backwards instead of forward. Can't they use pin sockets so they can be replaced:(

probably just a loose wire or bad ground somewhere, havent had to deal with this yet, so i dont know whats involved to check it? does light housing have to be removed, at least see if theres an access panel inside the trunk to get to the wiring...
blinking faster is just indication you have a bulb out, not a problem in and of itself. that tail lights and blinker lights are bad simultaneoulsy indicates more likely its a wiring issue not a bad bulb/led issue.
dont ya know, led's last forever!! haha
but in all seriousness, follow the wiring ends first look for disconnected, looose, cracked brittle broken wiring if you can trace to a ground point remove clean the ground point and reconnect...

That's the big problem I have with led bulbs. Yes their nice,compact etc. they say they last forever yeah right. Now instead of buying a three dollar bulb to fix the problem. You have to spend probably 500 for a new assembly. How is that better?:mad:
I see led brake lights out all the time and just one bulb or two out of the whole strip. Looks terrible, and not many options to fix. I know my brakes arnt lite for 50,000 hours? Seems like we went backwards instead of forward. Can't they use pin sockets so they can be replaced:(

Im sure they can because it be no different then the license plate bulbs there is one on each side, but why would they! Then they can't rip us off for a whole unit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Led's lights aren't for the do it your selfer the dealer can replace it the led panel is failing ....old school was the bulb is out.

I have a 05 XLR and a 06 DTS replaced the third trunk stop lite last yearand just noticed two LEDs a burnout in the new lite unit I give up I have the luxury of being a car salesman and working at the dealership so I just drive my car while I'm working they fix it and I get employee cost
Not too much do it your self on a XLR pretty tech advanced theres a reason it cost $75k new

If you're capable of removing the taillight checking check around and explore buying a new LED unit installation is going to be pretty sophisticated would not be a bad idea to check with the dealer

Yeah Buddy. Led's Aren't Always Great

Im sure they can because it be no different then the license plate bulbs there is one on each side, but why would they! Then they can't rip us off for a whole unit!!!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

I went through this with my High Mount. Had to send it to 'Logan Diagnostics' in Tennessee and had it professionally rebuilt for $300.00 as opposed to buying a new one for around $550.00 which it turned out wasn't even available. Out of production. At the time Cadillac told me they were 'accumulating orders' and 'if' they got enough orders (?) someday (?) they might (?) do a production run? Maybe? :dunno:

My original on the car was actually good but the lens had a couple of tiny cracks that 'bugged me'. :crazy: So I ordered one with a beautiful non cracked lens out of a salvage yard in Wisconsin. Sold my old cracked good one to Danny in Chicago. : ) Turned out that the salvage replacement one had gotten full of water through the centered attaching bolt studs, and while it looked great, was toast inside. Danny then sent his old mashed one from his being rear ended, to Logan in Tennessee who made one good one out of the two. Ugh. That's what happens when I am 'anal'.

My guess on this issue? If it isn't a bad ground on the circuit it probably somehow got water inside the taillight (small crack somewhere?) and fried the Led's. If this is the case, as these are sealed units (as in no bulb replacement) then a whole replacement tail lamp assembly driver's rear is required. :( The studs on these that bolt them to the body are set into plastic. If over tightened, it cracks the plastic allowing water ingress that ruins the Led Circuit internally. Plus once gently snugged down they must be sealed around the bolt studs. I used RTV sealer with plastic washers on the stud nuts to seal on mine. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!

I'm thinking CNC is correct. The LED's flicker. It happened after a trip to the car wash. Weirdly, they evened out for about 20 mins the other day...then back to bad. I'm taking a road trip for the next week, then will find a tail light assembly somewhere online when I get back. Hoping y'all (yous) can point me in the right direction. I see some listed for $550+ dollars.

My other new priority? Finding key fobs that work for a 2004. Cripes!

Try looking here: 2004 Cadillac XLR REAR LAMPS Tail lamps Tail lamp assy GM OEM Parts

I can't tell if they have the parts you might need, but I can tell you they have the hard to find high mount brake light unit, which we have ordered & looks ok, plus someone else here ordered & installed & reported no problems - for $118 instead of $500+. They were very good to deal with for us.

(if the link doesn't work it's www dot partswebsite dot com - trying to keep this site from just turning that into a link).

Last edited:
Did you check with gmpartsdirect.com???

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Thanks for all the links, friends. I might suck it up and go to a dealer or a mechanic that can hook up whatever they hook up to see what the deal is. The more I look, the more it seems that the right side is way too bright as a tail light as well. So, perhaps the two are somehow messing each other up. Going on a road trip for the next week. Say some "XLR prayers" for me. Pretty much all of my driving will be in daylight hours, so the dim tail light won't be a hazard. When I return, I'll deal with this issue and make sure to post the results of what the dealer or my mechanic figures out so this issue can be logged on the site and a help to the next person who has this trouble.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the links, friends. I might suck it up and go to a dealer or a mechanic that can hook up whatever they hook up to see what the deal is. The more I look, the more it seems that the right side is way too bright as a tail light as well. So, perhaps the two are somehow messing each other up. Going on a road trip for the next week. Say some "XLR prayers" for me. Pretty much all of my driving will be in daylight hours, so the dim tail light won't be a hazard. When I return, I'll deal with this issue and make sure to post the results of what the dealer or my mechanic figures out so this issue can be logged on the site and a help to the next person who has this trouble.

Thanks!

Probably smart thinking to have the dealer or at least someone with correct tools to check it out, with all the electronics on these cars! Good luck!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

If you are somewhat 'handy' this should not be too hard to fix : )

Thanks!

FYI, The reason the right tail lamp got brighter is because the electrical current from the 'dead' left one has been transferred to the right on the same circuit. You are going to need a new (known good assembly) for the left rear. To change it out you remove the left rear inner trunk fender liner to access the bolt studs and unscrew the nuts. Try to save the original little plastic sealer washers on the studs if you can (mine broke). Install the new replacement tail lamp assembly but plug the harness back in first. Do not! And I MEAN DO NOT over tighten the nuts as it will break the plastic assembly into which the bolt studs are set. Then it will leak again. Just snug them down till they bottom with a small flat washer under the nut packed in RTV Sealer to seal them vs. any moisture. Use a 1/4 drive ratchet with your hand at the head in order to avoid over tightening. Just 'snug' & stop! A 'deep well' 1/4" drive X 10mm socket is required and extension. Reinstall the fender liner and you are 'done'. Time estimate? 30- 40 minutes.

On my internally trashed High Mount Brake Light the insides once water got in were all nasty and rusted out. This happened because at some point someone (?) over tightened the nuts on the studs and broke the plastic where the bolt studs are set into the lens housing.

The hardest thing you are faced with here is going to be finding a Replacement 'Good One' that is not cracked anywhere! Had I been able to get a NEW OEM High Mount vs what I went through, I would have done so.

Good luck with the repair, and make darn sure the replacement one is working and isn't cracked anywhere.:wave:

THANX!

Thanks for those detailed directions, CNC. I am going to make that a project when I get back from my road trip next week. That actually sounds easier than when I replaced the clock on my '76 Eldorado (getting into the dash on those is a real PITA), or the ABS pump on my '91 Allante.

You're positive a new assembly will do the trick?

Last edited:
More than Likely

Thanks for those detailed directions, CNC. I am going to make that a project when I get back from my road trip next week. That actually sounds easier than when I replaced the clock on my '76 Eldorado (getting into the dash on those is a real PITA), or the ABS pump on my '91 Allante.

You're positive a new assembly will do the trick?

When you remove the old one hook jumpers between the two wire terminal ends directly to the positive and negative terminals on your battery to test it. If the same exact results as when installed in the car, then yes, it is kaput. You should disconnect the batter terminals anyhow before performing the work. ;)

If you can do the clock on a 76' Eldorado ( I agree. Pulling a dash apart is indeed a PITA) and the ABS pump on an Allante, you can do this. :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom