Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Tech 2 Recommendations

Jayharrington

My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Platinum, Black on Black on Black
Gents and Ladies -

I'm in the market for a Tech 2 scanner. But, is it worth it to splurge for the genuine GM tech 2 scanner or will a knockoff suffice?

With that being said:

1) Besides price, what are the major differences between a genuine one and a knockoff?
2) If you have experience using a knockoff, what are your thoughts?
3) If you've bought a tech 2 scanner (genuine or knockoff), which one did you purchase and from where? Please share a link if you can.
4) Also does anyone know where I can (if possible) rent one, borrow one, or buy one from a community member?

I look forward to hearing from the community on this!

Jay

Jay

If you are confortable with the mechanic language and with and an electronic scanner.
A thecII is the GM scanner and a lot more expensive then the china clone one, were is it produced, I dont know, however we all know that many of them are made from china.

A thec2 is a china clone scanner and are in sales presently for $300 +/- presently on eBay, make a research on internet you will find many versions, however make sure you get all the components as shown on the attached photo, it is important, if you want that the unit would be productive.

Good search and luck.

Welcome on board.

IAN:blinzel:

GM%20Tech-2%20-1[1].jpg

Where and how do you find the Tech2Win Software, and is it a free download or a purchase? Thx Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techs arn't using the Tech2 anymore. Haven't in about 10 years; thier obsolete. Don't believe me, go to your local Cadillac dealership and ask. Buy a MDI 2 and use Tech2Win software on your laptop; I think there are knockoffs MDI for $200 on Ebay. I would personally use a genuine one if your going to do any module programming. Every XLR owner should be using the latest GM calibrations from TIS.

Hey Z1
Found this one for 184$ and 50$ more I can purchase a software Disc, but will it work for XLR?

US$184.00 - GM MDI 2 MDI II Diagnostic Tool Multiple Diagnostic Interface V2019.07

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z1

Thanks for your find on internet, this could be an other option for the do it yourself.

Thec II or 2 are the one well known for our old XLR the MDI 2 would be great, however does most the members are confortable with such fine tool, there could a minority using the tech 2 itself or else.

For me the dealer remains my option as they get to know you and get famillar with your car problems, into their system.

It could be more economical of having a thec 2. however, having a fine dealer is the key for the other mechanical parts repairs such as the alternator, the S/A ( still leaking ) changed on warranty, headlights on goodwill changed, for me it has been a fine choice.

Finally…. not much more expensive in the long run.

IAN:blinzel:

The ways: Subcribe to TIS and pay them $99 a year to rent Tech2Win software or click on 05 Drand Daddy's link above and buy:
V2019.07 GM MDI GM MDI 2 GDS2 gds tech 2 software Sata HDD for Vauxhall Opel/Buick and Chevrolet
(it includes the tech2Win, the XLR can not use the other software 2010+ models) for $55. Or do a search for download a Chinese copy for free.

A good link; that's it. It's a Chinese copy so check the return policy if it doesn't work out.

Your absolutely right, but it is so nice to do diagnostic work on a laptop (the screen resolution is way better) and you can screen snapshot the car data and post online to other techs.

Techs arn't using the Tech2 anymore. Haven't in about 10 years; thier obsolete. Don't believe me, go to your local Cadillac dealership and ask. Buy a MDI 2 and use Tech2Win software on your laptop; I think there are knockoffs MDI for $200 on Ebay. I would personally use a genuine one if your going to do any module programming. Every XLR owner should be using the latest GM calibrations from TIS.

Hi Z1 - thanks for opening my eyes up to an MDI 2 and Tech2Win software. I will look into that.

I just bought my 2009 XLR less than two week ago; and, before I paid the cash to the seller, I personally took the vehicle to a GM service center that was about 1/2 mile from the dealership I bought it from. The tech there definitely used a Tech2 - I watched him. Since my car is an 2009 (read: over 10 years old), maybe it was easier for him to just hook up the Tech2, then to run through some software.

At any rate, I'm going to look into what you said re the new tech. Hopefully, it's the ticket!

I appreciate that knowledge drop!

Jay

Jay.

My dealer also is using the laptops latest software, what a great way to motivate a tech.

IAN;)

New Tech 2s cost over two grand ten years ago with the GMLAN adaptor. Dealerships save money by using older technology for diagnostics.

ACDelco's TIS online website still accepts the use of a Tech 2 for programming modules, but you will need a certified serial to USB adapter from the Tech 2 to the computer. Serial communications are slooow. AN MDS plugs directly into the computer USB port and communicates 3x faster. If all you do is diagnostics, go with the Tech 2.

ACDelco's TIS online website still accepts the use of a Tech 2 for programming modules, but you will need a certified serial to USB adapter from the Tech 2 to the computer. Serial communications are slooow. AN MDS plugs directly into the computer USB port and communicates 3x faster. If all you do is diagnostics, go with the Tech 2.

Z1 - my brother - I think I found your review of the following product on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2...074365Q6H/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8.

Below is the comment I read. Is this you? If so, I take it you recommend this product. Let me know - thanks! Jay
[FONT=&quot]Z1
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5.0 out of 5 stars A Better Product Than what GM makes[/FONT]
[COLOR=#555555 !important][FONT=&quot]Reviewed in the United States on June 23, 2018[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#C45500 !important]Verified Purchasehttps://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2...w_rvwer?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=&quot]An excellently designed device. All Scanner LTD made a better product than any of GM's partnership with German owned Bosch diagnostic tools and for a lot less money. I was able to reprogram a 2008 Cadillac XLR ECU in under 4 minutes using just a Lenovo Windows 10 Celeron laptop. It would have taken around 15 minutes with my Tech2 with CANdi module with serial to USB interface (what an outdated mess). The VX manager runs fine on Windows 10 and so does the Tech2Win program (I don't know what this BS about having to use Windows 7 is about). The Tech2Win is slightly buggy occasionally, but its always been that way. GM crapped that software out almost a decade ago.[/FONT]

Yup, that be me. A really good product but absolutely no support from the manufacturer; that's why I don't recomend it here. Software came on a mini CD-ROM disk(couldn't get my drive to read it). I had to find the software on the manufacturer's chinese website, didn't have the Tech2Win. Found a copy but wouldn't work until I found a install guide left by the maker on YouTube in Chinese (always fun). The device actually imitates itself as a MDI module and uses GM's MDI software. If you can get it working, an amazing tool.

Yup, that be me. A really good product but absolutely no support from the manufacturer; that's why I don't recomend it here. Software came on a mini CD-ROM disk(couldn't get my drive to read it). I had to find the software on the manufacturer's chinese website, didn't have the Tech2Win. Found a copy but wouldn't work until I found a install guide left by the maker on YouTube in Chinese (always fun). The device actually imitates itself as a MDI module and uses GM's MDI software. If you can get it working, an amazing tool.

That sound like an XLR…..:blinzel: Yes it is a real good product but absolutely no support from the manufacturer, for ''the vital parts no longer available'', it is an amazing car when you can get it working. Hi hi hi.

Thanks

IAN :(....…. :thumbsup

I always wondered if these non-tech II computer interface devices could do a top relearn though?

I believe so. All the capabilities of Tech 2 are available on the Tech2Win software.

Just purchased Tech 2 clone for $380.00 from China Cars Diag to see if I could get my top to work again, 2008 XLR. I was able to re-calibrate top and it works fine again. The software is clunky and not as intuitive as it could be, but it works. Overall, I'm pleased with the quality and results of Tech 2 unit from China Car Diag.

Shipping was free but took almost 4 weeks, not bad for the Xmas rush and other obstacles.

The GM version comes with 4 CDs plus a mini cd. Two Bosch with TIS2000, two China Cars Diag with TIS2000 update and the mini cd with the "Superpro" crackfile patch.

Not having an old laptop with Windows XP Pro 32 bit on it, I needed to go the virtual machine route on my Windows 10 machine. Look around on the WWW to fine the freeware "VMWare". Then search for an old Windows XP Pro 32-bit free download image with key. Load them into the VMWare with about 10 GB partition. VMWare will walk you through the process.

Also needed to add a USB to serial converter to plug into the Tech 2, ~$10.00. The trick is adding the USB driver to the VMWare WinXP operating system. Look around on the WWW to find some instructions.

[Xmas Sale $379] [Case Pack] 2021 Top Sale Vetronix GM Tech 2 Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner for GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU with Candi + tis2000 Saab Tech2

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom