Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

The check engine light is on on my 2009 XLR platinum

Dwolf

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
Black 2009 XLR platinum
My code reader wouldn't read the codes so I went to O'Reilly auto parts they hooked up their scanner and the only code was something in the fuel level sending unit which is probably why my fuel gauge doesn't register properly anyway my question is how come they couldn't get the check engine light to go off they tried several times and couldn't get it to go off, I read somewhere in someone's post they said the parts stores weren't allowed to turn the check engine light off but the ones here locally are allowed to they just couldn't get it to go off for some reason maybe because it's continually throwing the code for the fuel level Sensor ? I don't like seeing the check engine light on every time I look at the dash

For around 25 bucks, get an ELM 327 OBD bluetooth reader from EBay and download an app called Torque on your phone. Plug the reader in, establish bluetooth connection, then drill down to the "read code". You'll have an option to clear whatever code(s) you have. Turning it off once won't keep it from coming back again and again. But at least you can clear it for a day or so.
Some people on here swear by adding TECHRON to the fuel tank can clean the sending unit, but I have no hard knowledge of that.

dont post store location

My code reader wouldn't read the codes so I went to O'Reilly auto parts they hooked up their scanner and the only code was something in the fuel level sending unit which is probably why my fuel gauge doesn't register properly anyway my question is how come they couldn't get the check engine light to go off they tried several times and couldn't get it to go off, I read somewhere in someone's post they said the parts stores weren't allowed to turn the check engine light off but the ones here locally are allowed to they just couldn't get it to go off for some reason maybe because it's continually throwing the code for the fuel level Sensor ? I don't like seeing the check engine light on every time I look at the dash
It is against all store corporate policy to turn off any check engine codes. they can read and let you know but just think what the liability could be for these kids in the store turning off an important check engine light that resulted in a fire or damage to the car. They are warnings for a reason. Fix the problem

Chech engine lite

It is against all store corporate policy to turn off any check engine codes. they can read and let you know but just think what the liability could be for these kids in the store turning off an important check engine light that resulted in a fire or damage to the car. They are warnings for a reason. Fix the problem
Sorry about that i wasnt awear. Although it was the manager who checked it out,i'm thinking their scan tool wont allow them to turn it off as he tried several times. Im trying to fix the problem,ive been adding lucus fuel system cleaner ever other tank as well as using premium fuel. Ive always had good luck with lucus products,maybe sooner or later it will fix the problem. Bein its the unit that measures amount of gas. At times it works fine then suddenly it stops working.

Last edited:
rdh

Have a 2007 xlr-v and have the same problem, checked the code and it indicates an electronic problem with the fuel level sending unit. Had it before but ignored it and it went off eventually, now it is now drawing down my battery and have to jump the car after a week of not driving it. The dealer wants $2000 to check/fix, any simple cheaper answers?

rdh, If you turn the CEL off will you still drain your battery ? I have two vehicles including my XLR where the light comes on occasionally and I use a tool to turn them off. I am told my XLR has a lazy 02 sensor.
John F.

My 07-v has same problem with fuel sensor. Quits working at full tank but will start working once the level drops a bit. I can than turn off the CEL until I fill again. All my research says the wiper contacts on the sending unit wear out thus causing the failure. If they are just dirty, cleaning will work otherwise Only true fix will be to drop the tank and replace sending unit. Might as well replace the pump if you are doing this.

My 07-v has same problem with fuel sensor. Quits working at full tank but will start working once the level drops a bit. I can than turn off the CEL until I fill again. All my research says the wiper contacts on the sending unit wear out thus causing the failure. If they are just dirty, cleaning will work otherwise Only true fix will be to drop the tank and replace sending unit. Might as well replace the pump if you are doing this.

My CEL usually comes on when I fill up with fuel as well. My 02 sensor can be replaced for about $250. I will continue just turning off the light until I fail a smog test and then I will replace the sensor.
John F.

Check engine light update

As I was saying in my previous post my check engine light was on due to the fuel sending unit and the fuel gauge not working properly it got to the point where the fuel gauge wasn't working at all when before with a full tank it worked but when it got down to half a tank it would stop working altogether .
today I borrowed a friends tech two scanner scaned the codes. Still got the same codes that it was the fuel sender so then I erased the codes unpluged the scanner, started the car immediately the fuel gauge started working properly no check engine light and now it's been a whole day with several miles of driving with no codes no check engine light and a working fuel gage I am elated thank all of you for your comments and input on this subject and keep my fingers crossed that I have found a solution for the problem I will keep you updated.

Does it register less than 1/2 tank after resetting the codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resetting fuel gage

Does it register less than 1/2 tank after resetting the codes?

No, mine works as should after using scan tool to. Erase codes, codes fuel gage works as should,so fat,only ben 3days

I’ve got a 2004 XLR & my check engine light comes on a lot too. I’ve replaced the gas cap, numerous other fixes, but I drive 100 miles after worked on & engine light comes back on. My Cadillac Dealer said not to worry about it. Doesn’t drive any different. Anyone else have similar experience?

For what it is worth, my check engine light kept coming on last year, so I cleaned the O2 sensor with carb cleaner. No problems since.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom