Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Third Brake Light question ...

ChicagoDave

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black XLR V, 2005 Black XLR, 2018 XT5 AWD, 2010 Black CTX Wagon AWD
Tonight I noticed something that I have never noticed before, on my XLR. When my tailights are lit, the third brake light is also dimly lit, as if part of the taillights. I thought the third brakelight only lights up with the brakes, not as a taillight. Can anyone else confirm how theirs work? The brakelight aspect works fine.

One thing that happened last weekend, while installing my XM radio antenna, I must have messed up the wiring of my Windrestrictor (it no longer lights up, and the brakelight part doesn't light up either) when I pulled out the rear center storage unit. I have to look at that while in the Carolinas.

Suggestions? :dunno:

Did this start after wiring the windrestrictor. Sounds like maybe a crossed wire to me...??

Did this start after wiring the windrestrictor. Sounds like maybe a crossed wire to me...??

Actually - I did not notice this until the Windrestrictor STOPPED working. I've had the Windrestrictor wired up for almost a year, with no problems. Its only when I pulled the rear storage unit (between seats) that the Windrestrictor stopped working (I must have pulled some wire out or something). I'm sure I would have noticed the third brakelight lit up before this. Dunno what it could be. :dunno:

I would call Windrestrictor and talk with them about the problem... my guess is they will know exactly what the problem is and get it correctly fairly quickly.

Finally found my problem with my Windrestrictor ... the ground had gotten pulled out, when I pulled the center storage compartment out for the XM antenna install. Hooked up ground and WHALAH - brake light works again. :cool:

Finally found my problem with my Windrestrictor ... the ground had gotten pulled out, when I pulled the center storage compartment out for the XM antenna install. Hooked up ground and WHALAH - brake light works again. :cool:

GOOD NEWS!!!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back