Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tint or no tint?

pcm2a

Seasoned Member
I was debating putting some very light tint on the XLR. Part of me thinks it will look better with it on there and part of me doesn't. My wife would put tint so dark you couldn't see out of it if it was her car. What has everyone else done?

I was debating putting some very light tint on the XLR. Part of me thinks it will look better with it on there and part of me doesn't. My wife would put tint so dark you couldn't see out of it if it was her car. What has everyone else done?
I think the XLR looks great with tinted windows. Several of us have them tinted. I had mine tinted last summer, just 30% on sides and back (it varies by state, as far as legal tinting). I would have liked 50% - but in IL, then you can only do the back window, not the sides. IMHO, looks great on any color. Obviously it effects night driving a bit, though. :wave:

You can show your wife exactly what it would look like with blacked out windows.. Mine is a 2006 Lt Platinum (same as yours, I believe) and I got the darkest I could get..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....195977450446684.51847.100001032914080&type=3

If you can't access the pic, send me an email address and I'll send you the pic.:cool:

Tinted windows look fabulous on all cars when they are parked but when you are cruzin' the top is down and so are the windows! :cool: ...not an issue, eh!

I have had a few convertibles over the years and I have always lived by the mantra: If I am so blessed to be able to own a convertible then it should be topless ....ALWAYS! :worship: Especially now that I own an XLR: the convertible of my dreams! :love: Think about all those poor shmoes in their boxes, driving about in their mundane lives..... :(

Anyway, tint looks great, gives the car some attitude with the windows/top up, but when you are cruzin, not so much an issue! It is all about what you want: enjoy! :wave:

Ive got 20%, and i picked that from seeing some of the nicest cars at the car shows had it too, to me its the perfect shade. ive had 5% on my old seville, never again will i go that dark, cant see backing up at night. I wouldnt even worry about a fix-it ticket if thats crossed your mind, most cops could care less if your in the 20% range.

Was told yesterday by a local tech that 28% sides and 18% back was the permittable extreme here in Florida (said it was one of the lowest restricted states). My chief concern is whether my Wind Restrictor with brake light module would be significantly visually limited from the rear. I love the look it portrays, but also like the idea of adding tint to my Black Raven vehicle.

The tech suggested 30% all around. Anyone have experience with tinting and having an illuminated Wind Restrictor?

Was told yesterday by a local tech that 28% sides and 18% back was the permittable extreme here in Florida (said it was one of the lowest restricted states). My chief concern is whether my Wind Restrictor with brake light module would be significantly visually limited from the rear. I love the look it portrays, but also like the idea of adding tint to my Black Raven vehicle.

The tech suggested 30% all around. Anyone have experience with tinting and having an illuminated Wind Restrictor?

I have 50% all around on my Black '05 - I think it is nice. I too, have the illuminated Windrestrictor and you can still see it through the tint. But obviously it shines better when I have the top down, at night. I honestly have never been BEHIND my XLR to see how well the Windrestrictor lights up for the brake lights, during the day - only time I am not driving, is when I am sitting in the passenger seat, letting my 17 yo son drive. 30% would probably make it harder to see the Windrestrictor, though.

Good luck! :rocker:

I think that 50% is probably the darkness that I am looking for. I hope to go down to a shop and get something put on Friday. I'll be out in Chicago for training starting Saturday so I won't have the temptation to put those windows down while the tint sets in.

I called my local tint shop where I've had good service with tinting before. The tech said he doubts he will be able to do the XLR because the back window will not be accessible enough but to bring it by for him to look at it. I asked him about just putting the top part way down and he said it will only stay like that for a couple minutes and then it will close itself (safety mechanism).

Did any of you run into this problem with getting yours tinted?

He wants $130, which seems a bit steep for the small windows. I asked him how much for my 1992 Mustang and he said $130 as well.

I called my local tint shop where I've had good service with tinting before. The tech said he doubts he will be able to do the XLR because the back window will not be accessible enough but to bring it by for him to look at it. I asked him about just putting the top part way down and he said it will only stay like that for a couple minutes and then it will close itself (safety mechanism).

He wants $130, which seems a bit steep for the small windows. I asked him how much for my 1992 Mustang and he said $130 as well.

I paid $100 for the tint on both of my XLRs.. Both shops, one in KY and one in FL, put the top in a half way down position and did the tint. That's the same way my detail guy does it when he is detailing.

Perfect, I'll tell them that when I go tomorrow. I suspect they won't turn away money.

when i had mine done if florida i totally forgot to put the top halfway for it to be easier for them. they made it work and it turned out perfect, i paid $140 cash for 20% all around.

I did the sides, but not the rear window. The outside mirror dimming is controlled by the inside mirror. Tinting the rear keeps the sensor from seeing the full brightness of a following car's headlights, so the outside mirrors don't dim as much as they should.

I did go for the 3m windshield film that claims to block infrared. My opinion is that it's quite effective. I'll be adding it to our Lexus before summer sets in, and I'm probably going to have it put on the XLR's rear window after I get a scrap of it to see if it affects the sensor.

Took it to the shop and they said they would not be able to get the tint in there with the top closed and with it part way open there was another piece of carpet that is too close. They turned the business away rather than risk doing a bad job. I'm out in Chicago for business next week but maybe after that I'll call a few other places around town.

Took it to the shop and they said they would not be able to get the tint in there with the top closed and with it part way open there was another piece of carpet that is too close. They turned the business away rather than risk doing a bad job. I'm out in Chicago for business next week but maybe after that I'll call a few other places around town.

Go to Shaws and VTK for dinner and Kitsch'n and Wishbone for breakfast, while your in Chicago!!

No tint needed unless it's just the look you are after .... even through the deserts of the west the factory tint handled the sun perfectly .... :wave:

Factory tint? I think it's 90 percent looks 10 function. Keep the seats cooler in the blazing parking lot.

Just... To... Be... Sure (and I've never had occasion to do this before):

It IS permissable to open the top only a portion of the way and then stop... right? Just take your finger off of the button at the point where you feel you need it? Can it be incrementally adjusted from that point without issue? Is there any fob control for the top mechanism at all (except for opening and closing the trunk, of course)?

I expect my tint guy to need the top partially retracted and the Wind Restrictor removed to get at the back glass (reason I'm asking). TIA!

Factory tint? I think it's 90 percent looks 10 function. Keep the seats cooler in the blazing parking lot.
'Have to disagree .... we only 'tinted' one car and it was for looks. But if it works for you then it's all good. :rocker:

Just... To... Be... Sure (and I've never had occasion to do this before):

It IS permissable to open the top only a portion of the way and then stop... right? Just take your finger off of the button at the point where you feel you need it? Can it be incrementally adjusted from that point without issue? Is there any fob control for the top mechanism at all (except for opening and closing the trunk, of course)?

I expect my tint guy to need the top partially retracted and the Wind Restrictor removed to get at the back glass (reason I'm asking). TIA!

Yes you can stop the open/close at any point by removing finger from the switch. I do this every so often to clean the inside of the rear window. I turn the car off once the top is positioned to my liking.

No fob control of the top is documented. I'd hold the trunk button down to see if then the top would retract, but I know how disappointed I'd be.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom