Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Top Not Secure light?

rufcar

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR Crimson Pearl
I keep getting the top not secure warning light and it IS secure? I even cleaned and oiled the mechanism and it went away a few days now its back? Any ideas? My next attempt is to disconnect the battery and try and reset the computer.

As you can see there has been no replies to my request here for help.There has been many replies on the other forum but I will pass this info to you here. After looking through the 900 pages of top info in the manual it reccomended I run though a full top up top down including re setting the windows up and down. I did that 4 times and so far so good. It appears the locking switch sensor is working intermittently and it is located in the winshield frame and if it acts up again Ill need to remove the garnish moldings and access it. There is an explaination on how to do this in the manual. If anyone wants to keep there cars past the warranty I highly reccommed getting the 2 volume manual!

Keep in mind once you install it I think you will have to hook a tech 2 to it to reprogram. CCClark may be able to confirm this. I hope I'm wrong. Sensors are cheap and easy to change. If you dont need a tech 2 it would be great.

Monepit -You're absolutely correct. Whenever a sensor (potentiometer) is replaced, a Tech 2 is required to download it's operating parameters to the Folding Top Control module.

Shop manuals are a must with this car if you want to dig into it. It's a shame that the Tech 2 is so expensive; running a diagnostic with it is one of the first steps in many of the troubleshooting procedures found in the shop manuals.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Monepit -You're absolutely correct. Anytime a sensor (potentiometer) is replaced, a Tech 2 is required to download it's operating parameters to the Folding Top Control module.

Shop manuals are a must with this car if you want to dig into it. It's a shame that the Tech 2 is so expensive; running a diagnostic with it is one of the first steps in many of the troubleshooting procedures found in the shop manuals.

You don't need to do a reprogram of the Folding Top Module when you replace any of the top position sensors.
You will need to use a Tech 2 to perform a relearn of the folding top after repairs. It is a good idea to make sure the FTM has the latest software installed. That is probably what would fix the concern on this XLR.

Thanks Bruce! Noted, remembered, stored. Other than clearing DTCs (or waiting 50 ignition cycles) only a shop manual, tools, sensors/switches are required. I note that with a value range of 0-250 counts for the sensors, the measured range may be 35-202 counts (Folding Top Position Switch, for example.) All sensors being created equal, will a replacement duplicate the 35-202 full range? How much slack is there before the FTC loses track of expected position and halts operation. I know it tries to continue to drive the mechanism to the reference counts stored in the FTC memory but what will make it stop (time out) and issue a TOP NOT SECURE messsage?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after re-reading the manual as I understand it, the Open and Closed reference parameters are re-learned after each successful top operation.

:wave: CC

Hi Guys, Since we last talked I have open and closed the top several more times and driven the car about 300 more miles and so far so good.
CC I noticed on ebay many different types of Tech 2's are for sale some are a full kit some an adapter and some just the device etc prices range from 1700 to 3900? What is the exact type item and what do I look for as I have nothing like this for all my old Rolls and Porsches Thanks jim

Jim,

Your price is going to be higher by about $700-800 higher, as you also need the Candi Interface Module for XLR's. You are looking at close to $5000 by the time you get what you need. I only know this as Cadillac Tech checked my car on our Spring Drive and I noticed it when he was hooking it up.

Hi Guys, Since we last talked I have open and closed the top several more times and driven the car about 300 more miles and so far so good.
CC I noticed on ebay many different types of Tech 2's are for sale some are a full kit some an adapter and some just the device etc prices range from 1700 to 3900? What is the exact type item and what do I look for as I have nothing like this for all my old Rolls and Porsches Thanks jim

There are good (being a relative term) deals to be had on eBay for Tech 2 scan tools, but I had to be patient and check the listings regularly for about two months. I paid $2200 for a brand-new GM Tech 2 with CANdi module, pre-loaded memory card (works on 2010 models) with all necessary cables and connectors including a nice polyethelyne storage case.

The amount of information it will display is staggering for an automobile. If you're having an issue with a door switch for example, you need only press it and watch the screen to see if it indicates the switch changes state. You can cycle individual Folding Top solenoids, run graphic tests on the HUD; the list goes on and on. It even checks the fob signal staus.

The first step after connecting and powering it up is entering what type of vehicle you're testing. Once identified, you can run a full diagnostic in about three minutes. If a fault code is identified, you can concentrate on that particular subsystem without having to start over and perform redundant tests. Very similar to the way I ran diagnostics on Trident submarine weapons systems. The XLR differs from my CTS-V in that I can run just one comprehensive test to check out the car. I would imagine GM would standardize this methodology on newer models.

For me, it was a good decision to acquire a Tech 2 since I enjoy figuring out how the systems work and fix them when possible. The shop manuals are pretty thorough, but there is still supplemental info (akin to tribal knowledge) available to dealers that isn't included. Bruce is a good source for some of the more useful info.

There are good (being a relative term) deals to be had on eBay for Tech 2 scan tools, but I had to be patient and check the listings regularly for about two months. I paid $2200 for a brand-new GM Tech 2 with CANdi module, pre-loaded memory card (works on 2010 models) with all necessary cables and connectors including a nice polyethelyne storage case.

The amount of information it will display is staggering for an automobile. If you're having an issue with a door switch for example, you need only press it and watch the screen to see if it indicates the switch changes state. You can cycle individual Folding Top solenoids, run graphic tests on the HUD; the list goes on and on. It even checks the fob signal staus.

The first step after connecting and powering it up is entering what type of vehicle you're testing. Once identified, you can run a full diagnostic in about three minutes. If a fault code is identified, you can concentrate on that particular subsystem without having to start over and perform redundant tests. Very similar to the way I ran diagnostics on Trident submarine weapons systems. The XLR differs from my CTS-V in that I can run just one comprehensive test to check out the car. I would imagine GM would standardize this methodology on newer models.

For me, it was a good decision to acquire a Tech 2 since I enjoy figuring out how the systems work and fix them when possible. The shop manuals are pretty thorough, but there is still supplemental info (akin to tribal knowledge) available to dealers that isn't included. Bruce is a good source for some of the more useful info.

CC, congats on the Tech2. It is a wonderful tool. The more you use one the more you learn what all it can do. It seems to be the newer the vehicle the more interaction there is with the different modules. You are very correct about the manuals. They are good, but they don't have answers to every problem.

Thanks Bruce! Noted, remembered, stored. Other than clearing DTCs (or waiting 50 ignition cycles) only a shop manual, tools, sensors/switches are required. I note that with a value range of 0-250 counts for the sensors, the measured range may be 35-202 counts (Folding Top Position Switch, for example.) All sensors being created equal, will a replacement duplicate the 35-202 full range? How much slack is there before the FTC loses track of expected position and halts operation. I know it tries to continue to drive the mechanism to the reference counts stored in the FTC memory but what will make it stop (time out) and issue a TOP NOT SECURE messsage?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after re-reading the manual as I understand it, the Open and Closed reference parameters are re-learned after each successful top operation.

:wave: CC

A new position sensor will plug in and have the same range as the original one. The FTM program decides when to stop top movement when it sees #s it doesn't like. I have been told that the early FTM programs ('04-'07) were much less "tolerant" and would stop the top operation. This was done to protect the folding top. The latest FTM program is more "relaxed" on some of the readings or inputs it receives from the top sensors.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom