Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Top speed

MarkSki

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Grey XLR
What is the top speed of both the Base and V models? :dunno:

I don't have an actual answer, but I can tell you my v will go 155. It might go faster, I just didn't try. One day I took the mustang gt out the computer made it stop at 150, and I said to my self "xlr better be able to beat that". When it did I was satisfied :blinzel:.

The XLR and XLR-V's were electronically limited from the factory to 155mph. This can be removed with tuning.

Well interesting that the HUD Display shows above the 160 speedometer top speed limit!
Now I have to find somewhere I prove that! .....,,. LOL
Wonder if a base model will go that fast!
Always wanted to try but no roads around this area safe enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Granddaddy what about a abandoned airport runway?

Yep that would do, but none around here!! Lol

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes, the base can do 155 MPH

Last summer, when I purchased my XLR over in Phoenix, I had to drive it back home, to southern California. There is a long stretch of desert between Phoenix and LA, so I, like most people who buy a sports car, decided I would "see what she could do".

I got a long stretch of road, where I could see for miles, with only a few cars in the right lane, decided to light it up. The car handled like it was on rails, and did get up to the 155, with a slow taper as it approached the speed. But....

There was a long brown streak in the left lane of the I-10 as I did this - passing cars at twice their speed - fearing that one of them would switch lanes, not knowing how fast I was approaching. I did this twice, just to say I did it.

Will I ever do it again, probably not. I'm much older than I was when I was doing 140+ in my hot rod days of years gone by and I realize that I am not immortal and, most importantly, if I got caught, they would take my car and lock me up!

The interesting this is that, even at that speed, the tach was less than 4500 RPM. The car still had more left in her.

Since then, I have switched out the rear end gear ratio to a 3.42 (from a 2.93), because I would rather have the low end, off the line speed, than the scare the crap out of me 155 mph. Based on calculations, I should still be able to do it with the RPM's (probably about 5200 RPM), but that doesn't mean I will ever do it like that again.

We'll see...:reddevil

PAK XLR8
MBRP Exhaust Final on Cadi XLR.jpg

Last summer, when I purchased my XLR over in Phoenix, I had to drive it back home, to southern California. There is a long stretch of desert between Phoenix and LA, so I, like most people who buy a sports car, decided I would "see what she could do".

I got a long stretch of road, where I could see for miles, with only a few cars in the right lane, decided to light it up. The car handled like it was on rails, and did get up to the 155, with a slow taper as it approached the speed. But....

There was a long brown streak in the left lane of the I-10 as I did this - passing cars at twice their speed - fearing that one of them would switch lanes, not knowing how fast I was approaching. I did this twice, just to say I did it.

Will I ever do it again, probably not. I'm much older than I was when I was doing 140+ in my hot rod days of years gone by and I realize that I am not immortal and, most importantly, if I got caught, they would take my car and lock me up!

The interesting this is that, even at that speed, the tach was less than 4500 RPM. The car still had more left in her.

Since then, I have switched out the rear end gear ratio to a 3.42 (from a 2.93), because I would rather have the low end, off the line speed, than the scare the crap out of me 155 mph. Based on calculations, I should still be able to do it with the RPM's (probably about 5200 RPM), but that doesn't mean I will ever do it like that again.

We'll see...:reddevil

PAK XLR8
View attachment 4161

Great to know that, I had mine up to 125 on a 2 lane highway! Same deal other cars ahead, plus if I got caught in 60 - 70 speed limit area. I'm not sure what the consequence would be....... So I backed down.

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Granddaddy what about a abandoned airport runway?

I tried that one day!!!! My buddy took me to an old abandoned runway out here in the southeast Kansas area. Since I was dumb enough to trust my buddy, off we went. When we reached about 90 the runway ended. He had told me it was 2 miles long! Soooo, if you do try that, take a tour of the place first, to verify what you are really getting into. Oh, lucky for us there was nothing but a medium size bump at the end, then tall grass. I never did find out how fast a 68 torino gt would go. :dunno:

I tried that one day!!!! My buddy took me to an old abandoned runway out here in the southeast Kansas area. Since I was dumb enough to trust my buddy, off we went. When we reached about 90 the runway ended. He had told me it was 2 miles long! Soooo, if you do try that, take a tour of the place first, to verify what you are really getting into. Oh, lucky for us there was nothing but a medium size bump at the end, then tall grass. I never did find out how fast a 68 torino gt would go. :dunno:

Good it was tall grass and not like a stopping wall. Your right our cars can't fly so it's not enough runway to get stop in time before the end of the runway! I can't help but getting good laugh at this! I'm picturing you in my mind coming up to end of the runway! I'd a love to seen your faces!
OH $HIT......

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes especially now a days. The cops use unmarked and/or their personal cars. So every other car would be or is a potential cop. So I'm always on the lookout when driving around.

My favorite say to that is" THEY GOTTA CATCH ME FIRST" LOL

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Great to know that, I had mine up to 125 on a 2 lane highway! Same deal other cars ahead, plus if I got caught in 60 - 70 speed limit area. I'm not sure what the consequence would be....... So I backed down.

Old story, glory days.... Six of us did that!! But on a four lane road! BIG check sent to KY!!

I think I heard something about last September in BG...... Lol

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

A little birdie told me the HUD will display 186MPH.

Then she told me to slow down or she was going to call the cops. The poor Hemi Challenger in my rear view never stood a chance in a 50 roll. :reddevil

Then she told me to slow down or she was going to call the cops. The poor Hemi Challenger in my rear view never stood a chance in a 50 roll. :reddevil

Looks like that little birdie could get you in trouble.......lol

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Has your electronic leash been removed/reprogrammed? :confused:

On the way to eastern Oregon there are many bluffs that you can scan the road below and for miles with a pair of glasses to see if LEO is waiting for you. I've " tested" a couple of cars there, looks like another road trip this summer. Once with the top up and then with the top down.

Last edited:
Has your electronic leash been removed/reprogrammed? :confused:

On the way to eastern Oregon there are many bluffs that you can scan the road below and for miles with a pair of glasses to see if LEO is waiting for you. I've " tested" a couple of cars there, looks like another road trip this summer. Once with the top up and then with the top down.

I'd be interested in knowing the results please!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry