Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk struts

LEB05

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black xlr
The trunk struts on my 05 xlr started to let the trunk slowly fall, so I purchased new ones wanting to install them myself. I had replaced the hood struts last year with NO problem, so felt the trunk would be easy also. I started with the passenger side as it is the easiest to access, came off with no problem, but trying to install the new ones, the strut is about 1/4 inch too long and you can not depress them to go on. I do have the correct part numbers, and have raised the trunk by hand as far as possible have depressed the struts with a clamp, but they spring back out immediately, also put them in the freezer?:):), but now am out of ideas. Saw the freezer idea on another site. Looks like a dealer trip if I can't get some fix here Thanks for any help

Not sure... I have never had any problem installing them. Sometimes, I've found that you have to "over raise" the panel in order to get the strut to attach. Maybe a helper to hold up on the hood while you snap the strut into place?

I was hoping you would be the one to reply as I saw you have offered good info. I had a helper to keep the trunk up as high as possible but no luck. I can't even get the old one back on.

Not sure... too bad we don't live close together. Looks like maybe a trip to your local body shop; I would think they would be able take care of it in short order, and a lot less $$$ than the dealer...

THanks for your response, I'll probably have to get it taken care of this week, but I really do appreciate your feedback.

You're welcome... anytime - that's what we're here for. Good luck... and let us know what you ended up doing.

You might take a nylon ratchet strap and compress one, then take a piece of wiring and tie it down part way. I have seen shock/struts shipped that way and then you could take the nylon ratchet off. After install clip the wire and pull out. I just went and looked at the top of my struts and the head looks like a candidate for this idea, though I didn't make the effort to look at the bottom.

Trunk Struts

Ok everybody, I got the struts put on the trunk today. Had a local mobile mechanic come to the house, and together we conquered. It took the use of a ratchet strap and there was barely room,the ratchet had to be on the top and front of the strut when installing, and had to make sure none of the strap protruded into the the area that snaps over the ball joint. We did not have to secure any wire to the strut, but believe me there was barely room to release the ratchet once both ends had snapped on to the ball joint. Patience is a must.:):) Many thanks to Bill Rice Automotive for saving the day he's a real pro.Thanks again for all the responses

Ok everybody, I got the struts put on the trunk today. Had a local mobile mechanic come to the house, and together we conquered. It took the use of a ratchet strap and there was barely room,the ratchet had to be on the top and front of the strut when installing, and had to make sure none of the strap protruded into the the area that snaps over the ball joint. We did not have to secure any wire to the strut, but believe me there was barely room to release the ratchet once both ends had snapped on to the ball joint. Patience is a must.:):) Many thanks to Bill Rice Automotive for saving the day he's a real pro.Thanks again for all the responses

WOW!!! I'd have NEVER thought it would be that difficult. I haven't had the pleasure?? of replacing these struts, but will definitely remember this thread when it happens. Thanks for posting back

Driver’s side

How did you get the driver’s side strut out? Also, did you use the same method for installation? Doesn’t look like there’s enough room.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom