Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

uright cstorage between the seats

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
When I push the open button to open that storage area it comes out very slowly. I don't think that is normal? Should I lube it with some WD 40?

Last edited:
Leave it alone,,,,

IMO,,,slow is normal and better.

storage push button opener

Silicone grease would be a better choice and it won't run off as quick

"Zen"says,"In my opinion slower is better?" But how slow is slow?? Mine takes about 11 seconds to fully extend. To my way of thinking that's too slow. How say you you ??

Last edited:
"Zen"says,"In my opinion slower is better?" But how slow is slow?? Mine takes about 11 seconds to fully extend. To my way of thinking that's too slow. How say you you ??
had an 05 for 6yrs,same thing, tried lube and other things no luck, I came to the conclusion slow was normal:dunno:

If it works,,,don't mess with it,,

had an 05 for 6yrs,same thing, tried lube and other things no luck,

I came to the conclusion slow was normal
:blinzel: ;)

What is the hurry? Plenty of other storage areas......

storage area opener

:blinzel: ;)

What is the hurry? Plenty of other storage areas......

Plenty of other storage areas?? All full and so small. No hurry, but 13 seconds to wait to open that is RIDICULOUS!!! It should pop out in about 2-3 seconds

Help is on the way,,,,

Well Steve, lube it up with your WD-40 idea and gain a few seconds......you will be happy then and can sleep at night...

Mine took exactly 4.7 seconds to open,,, guess I got a good one that wasn't assembled on a Friday Possibly others with this critical, time wasting issue can respond to help you out?

:wave:

If you can"t accept advise then don"t ask for assistance. Accept that it opens slow.

My, my, are you having a bad day??

Advise is someones thoughts on a subject; It can be good or bad.

Funny someone else replied and said that theirs took only 7 seconds. Mine takes 13 seconds and he said to lube it.

So you see, you and another member gave different advise on the same subject. So I get to choose which one is right and which one is wrong.Different people have different opinions on the same subject so I have to determine which advise I want to take.

Well Steve, lube it up with your WD-40 idea and gain a few seconds......you will be happy then and can sleep at night...

Mine took exactly 4.7 seconds to open,,, guess I got a good one that wasn't assembled on a Friday Possibly others with this critical, time wasting issue can respond to help you out?

:wave:
Thanks. I think if yours takes only -5 seconds, that my 13 seconds is al little slow, and it was not designed that way. I'll lube it and see what happens.Thanks again for the advise.

When we first got our X, the center pop out button came apart on me. When I started looking at it to see how it worked, it had some kind of goo/lubricant on it. It's entirely possible that the stuff in your car is gumming things up. You'll have to take it apart and clean it. I assume that's what you're talking about and not the hinge itself on the bottom

upper button

If you are talking about the upper button on the release, I have a new one and it comes out in 2 seconds. Like the other poster said. it has a lube in it that runs all down inside the two piece door. Just spray a little lube in it and you should be fine

"Pop out" button on strage compartment

When we first got our X, the center pop out button came apart on me. When I started looking at it to see how it worked, it had some kind of goo/lubricant on it. It's entirely possible that the stuff in your car is gumming things up. You'll have to take it apart and clean it. I assume that's what you're talking about and not the hinge itself on the bottom

Thanks, but how does it come apart??

it doesnt

It is not made to come apart. Just open the lid and spray a little silicon on the latch. The latch just has a plastic nut that holds it on but you have to split the door apart to replace it. when you do the door will break as its not meant to be taken apart. I think the metal hinge at the bottom is too tight . I added a little lube on it and like mine better . I use that compartment a lot

The latch does come apart, and you don't have to break anything to get at it. It's all held together by plastic pressure clips. I know, I've done it.

I will let you do mine then

I have an 08 and the panels are glued from the factory. The slid in clips as shown have glue on them. Even broken they do not separate with a razor blade and scrapping. the round locater pins are tight enough that hot glue will hold it back together. The 04 -05 I have taken apart did not break. I have repaired about 6 of these and every later model has glue. I have a new one here I will send you with 100$ and when you have it apart with no damage you can send it back. Keep the 100$ If you break it you owe me 100$ hows that sound ? Fair enough? The G DSCN5455.jpgDSCN5457.jpgM manual says, not a serviceable part . That usually means break at your own risk.

photo of the glued and broken tab I have not yet cut apart. Also the silicone?( unsure of type) runny grease on the inside of the lid.

center compartment latch

The latch does come apart, and you don't have to break anything to get at it. It's all held together by plastic pressure clips. I know, I've done it.

You sir are the WIZ!! I get more answers and info from you than anyone! I think it is safe to assume that those "clips" can be seen from the inside?? is that correct, and how many are there??

You sir are the WIZ!! I get more answers and info from you than anyone! I think it is safe to assume that those "clips" can be seen from the inside?? is that correct, and how many are there??

I honestly don't remember. The pop out button came out in my hand one day. After removing the rest of the latch, I figured it out and how it operates. I used some silicone grease lightly on the moving parts and haven't had a problem since. That was around 2 years ago.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom