Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

V Exhuast in base model

HOMEGAMEROOM

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Light Platinum, President, "Midwest Marauders"
I thought I'd post this in case anyone else was thinking about doing this...

I've been wanting to do something with the exhaust in my base XLR. Corsa exhausts are pricey (I tried to get a "Group Buy" going, but no retailer wanted to or was able to reduce the price).

So, after lurking on eBay for a while (okay, I lurk on eBay ALL THE TIME!), I found the exhaust for an 07 XLR-V for sale - for $250. I thought "What the heck", so I bought it.

Let me say, it fits perfectly! And it sounds GREAT!!!!!! :D It was installed VERY quickly - in under an hour.

I'm working on getting everything made to control the butterfly valves in the exhaust (they're presently open all the way, which I'm enjoying a little too much). I'll control them with a switch as well as by the engine RPM so they will open automatically.

I love the growl I get from the car with the valves open, and the flexibility I'll get when the control hardware is completed and installed. I wonder if I'll ever close the butterfly valves? :D

Congrats!! You will close them after riding at highway speeds on a trip. Well, at least maybe on and off. . .:laugh:

I agree with Floyd on the higway driving with the butterflys open; you tend to get a little drone going. The Corsa exhaust never had that problem with my base '04. I'm saving up for the Corsa's for my '06 V!!:cool:

Congrats!! You will close them after riding at highway speeds on a trip. Well, at least maybe on and off. . .:laugh:

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else was thinking about doing this...

I've been wanting to do something with the exhaust in my base XLR. Corsa exhausts are pricey (I tried to get a "Group Buy" going, but no retailer wanted to or was able to reduce the price).

So, after lurking on eBay for a while (okay, I lurk on eBay ALL THE TIME!), I found the exhaust for an 07 XLR-V for sale - for $250. I thought "What the heck", so I bought it.

Let me say, it fits perfectly! And it sounds GREAT!!!!!! :D It was installed VERY quickly - in under an hour.

I'm working on getting everything made to control the butterfly valves in the exhaust (they're presently open all the way, which I'm enjoying a little too much). I'll control them with a switch as well as by the engine RPM so they will open automatically.

I love the growl I get from the car with the valves open, and the flexibility I'll get when the control hardware is completed and installed. I wonder if I'll ever close the butterfly valves? :D

Thanks for the update HOME... been thinking the same thing; didn't think anyone ever got rid of their V Exhaust. I'll have to check that out. I too, want to "add something" to my exhaust. Can't wait to hear it next weekend.

I agree with Floyd on the higway driving with the butterflys open; you tend to get a little drone going. The Corsa exhaust never had that problem with my base '04. I'm saving up for the Corsa's for my '06 V!!:cool:

Let me know when you get close to getting the Corsa ... maybe I'll help you get the rest of the way, by taking your original off your hands. :cool:

Rich,,,,, Wasn't the rear hangers different? When I changed my V out to an Corsa, I had to buy the Corsa XLR system and then an Vette H-pipe, because the rear hangers were different on the regluar XLR and the V pipes.

I only changed the mufflers out. They fit into my base H pipe.

The mufflers fit perfectly onto my hangers. That, and how the pipes were bent, made me wonder if they'd fit. They did!

OOHHHH,,,,, Yea, the over the axle pipes are the same. Fun pulling the over the axle pipes out the back of the car ,,, isn't it!!!!! On the stock systems, the axle pipe and the mufflers are welded together.

Chad

Rich, congrats on the new mufflers, looking forward to seeing & hearing them next weekend.

Have you been able to get the butterfly's working?

Rich, I'm interested in the RPM controller. Was the one you bought specific for the XLR or did you modify a Corvette one?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom