Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

V front hood moulding

mtrocket

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Red Jewel XLR
Could someone with a V please post a picture of the backside of the hood where the moulding attaches, mainly the center and center right? Looking at the back side of the moulding, it looks as though there are alignment guides in these two places. I'm guessing the hood has to be notched for these, in addition to the holes that need to be drilled to attach the moulding. I have one to put on my XLR and I just want to make sure I install it correctly; I found nothing in the tech manuals concerning the hood moulding.
thanks

I took some pics of my hood for you. I have a new hood ornament I thought I would show you while I was at it :).
The first pic shows the push on washer, and the edge is right next to the side of the hood (approx 1/4 inch) and about 1/2" from the front of the hood to the center of the pin the washer pushes on. These are from the drivers side. The second pic is from the passenger side, looks the same. My chrome trim piece wraps around the side of the hood, so you couldn't get it off center. The third and fourth pics show my ornament :blinzel: thanks to the guys at our local car show. Afterward I decided to see how fast a supercharged ls1 trans am was:burnout:--a little faster than an xlr-v I hate to say. He claimed 11:40 quarter mile times:chuckle, but couldn't pass me til about 105-110 mph.

I took some pics of my hood for you. I have a new hood ornament I thought I would show you while I was at it :).
The first pic shows the push on washer, and the edge is right next to the side of the hood (approx 1/4 inch) and about 1/2" from the front of the hood to the center of the pin the washer pushes on. These are from the drivers side. The second pic is from the passenger side, looks the same. My chrome trim piece wraps around the side of the hood, so you couldn't get it off center. The third and fourth pics show my ornament :blinzel: thanks to the guys at our local car show. Afterward I decided to see how fast a supercharged ls1 trans am was:burnout:--a little faster than an xlr-v I hate to say. He claimed 11:40 quarter mile times:chuckle, but couldn't pass me til about 105-110 mph. http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/...ile Uploads/?action=view&current=IMG_1416.jpg

Thanks Dave...
I need one showing the center and out to about 18 inches on the passenger side. There a small protrution off the moulding I have that looks like it just sits against the hood at the center and another about 18" to the passenger side.
Congrats on your show win!!!! Nice hood ornament... are you going to have it mounted there?:chuckle:chuckle:rolleyes::rolleyes:

When I installed my E&G grilled there were not marking points or tabs for the hood strip, I just measured from the center of the hood out on both sides. I used a grease pencil to mark both ends and centered the strip.

:cool:

Hope this helps u out Rod

Rod did you get the hood trim attached?

I haven't got a chance to get back to it. I'll post pictures of the backside of the moulding so you can see the alignment guides I'm talking about. I don't see them in any of the posted pics. I'll probably just end up cutting them off the backside of the moulding, just curious what they are for.

Hope this helps u out Rod

Here's a pic of the backside of the moulding. The tabs I am talking about are the ones that are flat on one side. I don't see these flat tabs in your pics, Mike...:dunno::dunno: There is one in the center and one on the right side of the moulding.

molding

Hi Rod,
The guides you are looking for are recesses in the V Hood. They can be seen from under the hood but are not open holes. look at the pics the members sent you will see them as bubbles. Best sugestion cut them off. drill your holes for the studs in molding,test fit make sure it fits flat. Use grey thin 3m double sided tape will make it fit flush. those spring nuts donot hold it tite! The tape will! ...........CJ

Hi Rod,
The guides you are looking for are recesses in the V Hood. They can be seen from under the hood but are not open holes. look at the pics the members sent you will see them as bubbles. Best sugestion cut them off. drill your holes for the studs in molding,test fit make sure it fits flat. Use grey thin 3m double sided tape will make it fit flush. those spring nuts donot hold it tite! The tape will! ...........CJ

That's what I was planning on doing with the guide pins. Thanks for the suggestion on using tape instead of the spring nuts. Hopefully next week I'll get it put on.

molding install

Rod,
Use the studs And the tape!! The studs only hold in six places, Tape will make it lay flat all the way along.

Finally got it on!!

Got the moulding on... finally had time to get it taken care of. Couldn't use the washers to attach.... the points don't come throught the hood far enough. So, I just used 3M moulding attachment tape. Wish now I hadn't even drilled holes in the hood for the prongs to come through, since I couldn't use them anyway.
Gives it that "finished" look, I think...

Got the moulding on... finally had time to get it taken care of. Couldn't use the washers to attach.... the points don't come throught the hood far enough. So, I just used 3M moulding attachment tape. Wish now I hadn't even drilled holes in the hood for the prongs to come through, since I couldn't use them anyway.

That looks very nice, Rod. Goes very nice with the chrome grill. :rocker:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back