Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Way to Reset Check Engine Light from Gas Cap?

SanDiegoXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Platinum with Shale
Hi All,
My check engine light came on due to a loose gas cap.
Is there a way to reset it, or do I have to wait a few days/weeks for it to just clear on its own?
Thanks,
Mark

Hi All,
Is there a way to reset it, or do I have to wait a few days/weeks for it to just clear on its own?
Thanks,
Mark

Yes the system needs so many cycles without the code reappearing and the lite will go off and stay off. When plugged into a scanner it will be able to see those codes unless manually removing codes with scanner.

Hi All,
Thanks,
Mark

Hello Mark,

Feel free to send me your VIN and I will see what I can research for you.

Kindly,

William R.
Cadillac Customer Care

If it was due to a loose gas cap, it should/will reset itself as Stella said.

Thanks for the feedback.
If I unplug the battery, and replug it....will that clear it?

Fuel Cap Campaign

There is a GM fuel cap campaign for poor fitting fuel cap which will turn on the check engine light. Have your GM dealer run a VIN search and see if your XLR needs a new cap
Hi All,
Thanks,
Mark

Thanks for the feedback.
If I unplug the battery, and replug it....will that clear it?

No. (Well, it shouldn't do)

Faults that light the warning lamp are controlled by legislation and are emission related only. (Previously manufacturers could light the lamp for other reasons too).

The rule is that the conditions that set a given code have to be repeated twice without setting the code for the code to clear down.

The gas cap fault code is a tricky one to clear down without a Tech-2 as the exact conditions that it is tested with can be rare for certain driving styles, and that requirement for it to pass twice can mean that you have to drive a considerable number of miles before the required conditions are met.

From memory it is drive a good distance, then come to idle fully warmed up for a significant period of time while the test is conducted (it pressurises the gas tank and measures how quickly the pressure corrects, at a guess the gas level is also relevant) and hitting all of these is a rare event for some drivers.

HTHs

PS, not all replacement caps work properly.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back