Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Weatherstrip maintenance

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
Document ID: 1991764
#99-08-64-016B: Use of Silicone for Weatherstrip Maintenance - (Jun 22, 2007)

999999995.gif
Subject:Use of Silicone for Weatherstrip Maintenance

Models:2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-08-64-016A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
In the past, questions have been raised regarding the proper care and maintenance of weatherstrips. The purpose of this bulletin is to clarify which materials are recommended for use when required.
Periodically, a thin coating of silicone grease can prolong the life of the weatherstrip. The silicone will reduce wear in the contact areas as well as reduce squeaking and sticking conditions. During very cold or damp weather, more frequent applications may be necessary.
Important: Be careful in areas where clothing may come in contact with the weatherstrip, as silicone or dirt may be transferred to clothing.

Part Number
Description
12345579 (U.S.)
10953481 (Canada)
Goodwrench Dielectric Silicone Grease (or equivalent)
Lubricant Silicone Grease
3634770 (U.S.)
10953518 (Canada)
Goodwrench Weatherstrip Lubricant (Krytox*) (or equivalent)
Lubricant
*The use of KRYTOX for coating weatherstrips is allowed, but not required.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.​

999999994.gif
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION​

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Bruce :cool:

You can get a big tube pretty cheap at a swimming pool supply store... :)

I believe that dielectric lubricant is often used on Spark Plugs rubber covers. Why is it important on weather strips? I sure don't know. I found it in small tubes at the Auto Parts store. I learned to be careful and not use too much especially near glass. If this stuff gets on the glass or any part that touches the glass, it takes for ever to get rid of it.

SilverX

I've found 'silicone' but not DIELECTRIC??? what's the difference?

I was looking for something to protect all the weatherstrip on the XLR and found Bruce's tech bulletin. My weatherstrip was turning white around the windows and I had read that Krytox was the best thing for it from some postings on the Allante.net website. I have seen what happens to the weatherstrip on older cars so I bought a small bottle using the part number on this thread and applied it today to all of the weatherstrips. It immediately changed the chalky white color back to black and made it look almost new again. By the way, a small bottle P/N 3634770 was about $50, but it goes a very long way when applied with just a rag on the tip of your finger. Thanks Bruce for posting this info.

What would be a good retail source for this, besides the dealership?

What would be a good retail source for this, besides the dealership?

Any Autoparts store should carry die-electric.

weather strip

I checked but they have 'silicone' not dielectric silicone. is there a difference?

Hi! I believe dielectric does not conduct electricity, thus the use on spark plug boots to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion.

Jack

Jack is correct, dielectric just means that it won't conduct electricity. The tube I bought from the dealer using the part number in the bulletin says dielectric, but I don't think that matters. I've used it for years on my vehicles with no problems.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom