Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

when in park?

ald42

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
05 xlr satin nickle
here's a question. when stuck in park and you put the ing.In acc. you can then move shift to neutral.NOW IF the sol. is bad what moves /pulls the plastic pawl/dog out of the way so the shift lever can be moved?? :dunno: Al

From what I understand solenoids don't shift from PNRD. Manual linkage does. The solenoids are used when in drive and shifting between gears 12345 and 6.

here's a question. when stuck in park and you put the ing.In acc. you can then move shift to neutral.NOW IF the sol. is bad what moves /pulls the plastic pawl/dog out of the way so the shift lever can be moved?? :dunno: Al

Not sure what you are asking? Are you talking about the shift lock inside the console? I once had to move the solenoid by hand when I had a major electrical failure and had to shift out of park with the ignition off.

From what I understand solenoids don't shift from PNRD. Manual linkage does. The solenoids are used when in drive and shifting between gears 12345 and 6.

there is a solenoid at the base of the shifter to pull the plastic pawl/dog out of the way to be able move the shift out of park.

Not sure what you are asking? Are you talking about the shift lock inside the console? I once had to move the solenoid by hand when I had a major electrical failure and had to shift out of park with the ignition off.

that's what I'm talking about.IF the sol.is bad and not allowing the pawl to move so the shift is stuck in park. Now if you put it in acc. and foot on brake you can MOVE the shift to neutral and start the car. what moved the pawl out of the way so the shift could be moved from park?? Al

that's what I'm talking about.IF the sol.is bad and not allowing the pawl to move so the shift is stuck in park. Now if you put it in acc. and foot on brake you can MOVE the shift to neutral and start the car. what moved the pawl out of the way so the shift could be moved from park?? Al

Doesn't make sense. If you can move the shifter out of park the solenoid must be working or something else in the lock is broken.

Doesn't make sense. If you can move the shifter out of park the solenoid must be working or something else in the lock is broken.

doesn't make sence to me either? owners manual says if stuck in park, do as I posted above,i'm thinking they mean if it's just stuck and not a bad sol.?? needs further invest. on older cars there were ways to release the interlock w/a key in a slot on a button you pushed.:dunno: Thanks,Al

There is no way to manually release the gearshift solenoid without removing the shift cover trim. GM *MIGHT* have done something to correct this on later model year XLRs, but I'm not sure.

This makes flatbedding the car a nuisance, since you have to pull everything off the console before pulling it on the truck so the transmission disengages (of course, this is assuming you've lost all power and can't get anything to work). Yeah, it's happened to me a couple of times....

There is no way to manually release the gearshift solenoid without removing the shift cover trim. GM *MIGHT* have done something to correct this on later model year XLRs, but I'm not sure.

This makes flatbedding the car a nuisance, since you have to pull everything off the console before pulling it on the truck so the transmission disengages (of course, this is assuming you've lost all power and can't get anything to work). Yeah, it's happened to me a couple of times....

If there were changes later on it was after 2008. I had to disassemble the console in mine last October.

20131023_144017.jpg 20131025_090629.jpg

I agree with the no power thing. BUT with all things being equal the manual says if stuck in park put in acc,foot on brake,move shift to neutral,start car and shift to? I'm thinking this will work if the sol. is bad?? If not what stuck in park condition would release the shift with the acc./foot on brake routine?? Thanks, Al:dunno: ps going to Cleveland sat,visit with people we met at 10th homecoming. PM me if you want to meet,we're there 3nts @ Hilton off I480. Al

Last edited:
I agree with the no power thing. BUT with all things being equal the manual says if stuck in park put in acc,foot on brake,move shift to neutral,start car and shift to? I'm thinking this will work if the sol. is bad?? If not what stuck in park condition would release the shift with the acc./foot on brake routine?? Thanks, Al:dunno: ps going to Cleveland sat,visit with people we met at 10th homecoming. PM me if you want to meet,we're there 3nts @ Hilton off I480. Al

No that will NOT work if the solenoid is faulty, nor does it appear that the manual claims that. What section of what manual?

This is what appears in my Operator's Manual:

Shifting Out of PARK (P)
This vehicle is equipped with an electronic shift lock
release system. The shift lock release is designed to:
• Prevent shifting out of PARK (P) unless the
vehicle is running or in Accessory mode and
the regular brake pedal is applied.
The shift lock release is always functional except in the
case of an uncharged or low voltage (less than 9 volt)
battery.
If your vehicle has an uncharged battery or a battery
with low voltage, try charging or jump starting the
battery. See Jump Starting on page 6-41
To shift out of PARK (P) use the following:
1. Apply the brake pedal.
2. Then press the shift lever button.
3. Move the shift lever to the desired position.
If you still are unable to shift out of PARK (P):
1. Fully release the shift lever button.
2. While holding down the brake pedal, press the
shift lever button again.
If you still cannot move the shift lever from PARK (P),
consult your dealer/retailer or a professional towing
service.

Another condition that could prevent shifting out of park is torque lock on the parking pawl in the transmission, as if parked on a hill without setting the parking brake. This has nothing to do with the solenoid in the console.

No that will NOT work if the solenoid is faulty, nor does it appear that the manual claims that. What section of what manual?

This is what appears in my Operator's Manual:

Shifting Out of PARK (P)
This vehicle is equipped with an electronic shift lock
release system. The shift lock release is designed to:
• Prevent shifting out of PARK (P) unless the
vehicle is running or in Accessory mode and
the regular brake pedal is applied.
The shift lock release is always functional except in the
case of an uncharged or low voltage (less than 9 volt)
battery.
If your vehicle has an uncharged battery or a battery
with low voltage, try charging or jump starting the
battery. See Jump Starting on page 6-41
To shift out of PARK (P) use the following:
1. Apply the brake pedal.
2. Then press the shift lever button.
If you still are unable to shift out of PARK (P):
1. Fully release the shift lever button.
2. While holding down the brake pedal, press the
shift lever button again.
If you still cannot move the shift lever from PARK (P),
consult your dealer/retailer or a professional towing
service.

Another condition that could prevent shifting out of park is torque lock on the parking pawl in the transmission, as if parked on a hill without setting the parking brake. This has nothing to do with the solenoid in the console.

my owners manual is diff.check it in tech center.it talks about putting it in acc.mode and then being able to move shift.don't know what this will do to release shift??? more than likely nothing because they changed it in the later manuals? Thanks, Al:)

Copied directly from the 2005 Qwners Manual:

Shifting Out of Park (P)
Your vehicle has an automatic transmission shift lock
control system. You have to fully apply your regular
brake before you can shift from PARK (P) when
the vehicle is running. See
Automatic Transmission
Operation on page 2-25

If you cannot shift out of PARK (P), ease pressure on
the shift lever – push the shift lever all the way into
PARK (P) and release the shift lever button as you
maintain brake application. Then press the shift lever
button and move the shift lever into the gear you wish.
If you ever hold the brake pedal down but still cannot
shift out of PARK (P), try this:
1. Press the ACC button twice to place the ignition in
accessory mode.
2. Apply and hold the brake until the end of Step 4.
3. Shift to NEUTRAL (N).
4. Start the engine and then shift to the drive gear
you want.
5. Have your vehicle inspected by your dealer as soon
as possible.

Nowhere does it say anything about the solenoid being bad. If the solenoid is bad, you will have to take the console apart.

Copied directly from the 2005 Qwners Manual:

Shifting Out of Park (P)
Your vehicle has an automatic transmission shift lock
control system. You have to fully apply your regular
brake before you can shift from PARK (P) when
the vehicle is running. See
Automatic Transmission
Operation on page 2-25

If you cannot shift out of PARK (P), ease pressure on
the shift lever – push the shift lever all the way into
PARK (P) and release the shift lever button as you
maintain brake application. Then press the shift lever
button and move the shift lever into the gear you wish.
If you ever hold the brake pedal down but still cannot
shift out of PARK (P), try this:
1. Press the ACC button twice to place the ignition in
accessory mode.
2. Apply and hold the brake until the end of Step 4.
3. Shift to NEUTRAL (N).
4. Start the engine and then shift to the drive gear
you want.
5. Have your vehicle inspected by your dealer as soon
as possible.

Nowhere does it say anything about the solenoid being bad. If the solenoid is bad, you will have to take the console apart.

I understand about not saying the sol. being bad and you need to take the console apart and manually move the plastic pawl to shift.SO being stuck in park(good sol.) what does the putting it in acc. mode routine do to get it out of park?? Thanks, Al:dunno:

I haven't a clue, but the solenoid gets its 'instruction' from the brake module, when the brake pedal is pressed and the shift button being pressed to allow the car to shift.

I understand about not saying the sol. being bad and you need to take the console apart and manually move the plastic pawl to shift.SO being stuck in park(good sol.) what does the putting it in acc. mode routine do to get it out of park?? Thanks, Al:dunno:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom