Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Which run flat to buy?

I was under the impression that on the 19" V tires, at least, the michelin run flats required "special" tire change equipment to change the tire, and that equipment is not available at all repair/tire change locations. Something about double compartments.
Any comments, please.

Rusty

It seems that not all tire machines can handle run flats... no matter what size. Runflats take a special tire machine to mount and unmount, because the side walls are so thick - about 2". The tire shop here that I use has a Gorchi touchless machine... really amazing to watch.

The Pirelli run flats are as you describe, merely a more sturdy and heat resistant side wall. However, it is my understanding that the very construction of the Michelin Run flat (PAX) tires are of a different physical construction and require specially constructed rims. To wit:

"Auxiliary Supported Run Flat Systems
Auxiliary supported systems combine unique wheels and tires used for Original Equipment vehicle applications. In these systems, the flat tire's tread rests on a support ring attached to the wheel when the tire loses pressure. The advantage to this type of system is that it will place most of the mechanical task of providing run flat capability on the wheel (which typically doesn't wear out or need to be replaced), and minimizes the responsibility of the tire (which does periodically wear out and requires replacement). Additionally, auxiliary support systems promise better ride quality because their sidewall's stiffness can be equivalent to today's standard tires. The disadvantage to auxiliary supported systems is that their unique wheels will not accept standard tires and that their lower volume will make this type of system more expensive.
Example: Michelin's PAX System wheels and tires
tapedispense.gif

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO), a worldwide federation of national standards bodies, has adopted a run-flat system symbol for extended mobility systems featuring an internal support ring.

It is too early to confirm which system, if any, will be widely accepted by vehicle manufacturers and consumers in the future".

It seems that not all tire machines can handle run flats... no matter what size. Runflats take a special tire machine to mount and unmount, because the side walls are so thick - about 2". The tire shop here that I use has a Gorchi touchless machine... really amazing to watch.

The V's only come with Pirelli tires. From Michelin's website:

Please Note
We're sorry, our brands do not currently manufacture tires fitting this vehicle's specifications.

I was under the impression that on the 19" V tires, at least, the michelin run flats required "special" tire change equipment to change the tire, and that equipment is not available at all repair/tire change locations. Something about double compartments.
Any comments, please.

Rusty

Does that imply that the "normal" cars have specially constructed rims, not employed on the "V"?

The V's only come with Pirelli tires. From Michelin's website:

Please Note
We're sorry, our brands do not currently manufacture tires fitting this vehicle's specifications.

The base models have 18" rims. The '04 base model I owned had Michelin Pilot MXM run flats. There was nothing special about the rims they were mounted on. You can research Michelin tires @ www.michelinman.com and even do a search by vehicle. Hope this helps.:)

Does that imply that the "normal" cars have specially constructed rims, not employed on the "V"?

This statement not withstanding??

"The disadvantage to auxiliary supported systems is that their unique wheels will not accept standard tires and that their lower volume will make this type of system more expensive.
Example: Michelin's PAX System wheels and tires
tapedispense.gif

Thanks,

rusty

The base models have 18" rims. The '04 base model I owned had Michelin Pilot MXM run flats. There was nothing special about the rims they were mounted on. You can research Michelin tires @ www.michelinman.com and even do a search by vehicle. Hope this helps.:)

Rusty,

I think you are getting confused. Michelin's PAX system is not used on their run-flats for the XLR. Their website currently shows the following:

PAX System tires are available on:
  • 2005-2007 Honda Odyssey models
  • 2006-2007 Nissan Quest models
  • 2006-2007 Acura RL models
  • Plus, see the Rolls Royce Phantom and Bugatti Veyron
This statement not withstanding??

"Example: Michelin's PAX System wheels and tires
tapedispense.gif

Thanks,

rusty

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Exactly the information I was seeking.

Rusty

Rusty,

I think you are getting confused. Michelin's PAX system is not used on their run-flats for the XLR. Their website currently shows the following:

PAX System tires are available on:
  • 2005-2007 Honda Odyssey models
  • 2006-2007 Nissan Quest models
  • 2006-2007 Acura RL models
  • Plus, see the Rolls Royce Phantom and Bugatti Veyron

New tires

Well just got the tires from Tirerack and they were really quick on the delivery $1061.68 and you get a $70.00 certificate in the mail. Not a bad price had them installed at a local xxxxx shop as they had all the new equipment etc. Boy what a mistake that was took car back and still they could not balance the tires. Well went to Discount tire and they said hey we will sell you our certificates and balance tires etc for $182.00 so I said ok They fixed the problem and were very quick doing so and have a new customer for life. All in all still saved about $100.00 doing the tiredirect way but would not do it again not worth the hassle. Why I do the comparison shopping must be some kind of pain that i like to inflict on myself.:bash:

Well just got the tires from Tirerack and they were really quick on the delivery $1061.68 and you get a $70.00 certificate in the mail. Not a bad price had them installed at a local xxxxx shop as they had all the new equipment etc. Boy what a mistake that was took car back and still they could not balance the tires. Well went to Discount tire and they said hey we will sell you our certificates and balance tires etc for $182.00 so I said ok They fixed the problem and were very quick doing so and have a new customer for life. All in all still saved about $100.00 doing the tiredirect way but would not do it again not worth the hassle. Why I do the comparison shopping must be some kind of pain that i like to inflict on myself.:bash:
Keep doing the comparison shopping but then take that to Discount. I've never seen them not beat a price as long as they have the tire in a warehouse.

Keep doing the comparison shopping but then take that to Discount. I've never seen them not beat a price as long as they have the tire in a warehouse.

I went to Discount Tire first and got their price, then went to the Cadillac dealer and they matched the price. I always prefer to have my dealer do all work on my Cadillacs. I put right back on the Michlens Run Flats just like what was on originally.

I went to Discount Tire first and got their price, then went to the Cadillac dealer and they matched the price. I always prefer to have my dealer do all work on my Cadillacs. I put right back on the Michlens Run Flats just like what was on originally.
You are lucky ....
I asked my dealer if he would match .... he said 'no' they couldn't ..... the tech told me that they do not do the tires there anyway, that they send them out to be done .... ( probably to Discount, haha) ....

Seems to work...

Anybody using the hockey puck and eye-bolt idea?

I talked with a very knowledgeable young C5 Corvette owner about these. He made up 4 of them from Home Depot parts, and Colorado Avalanche souvenir hockey pucks. :chuckle He said that several members of the local Corvette club use this type of jack pucks all the time, without any issue.

So, I made up a pair. Total cost = $3±. 5/16" eyebolts, and T-nuts, w/ washers on the top of the puck for proper spacing. I hit up the local skating rink (yea, even in Pueblo we have one) for a couple of practice pucks. They fit great on my '06 XLR. I tossed them in the back of "QUIK AG" and carry them on any trips

FWIW

Tim

Bought these about one year ago from the dealer. $1,429 for four including installation for a 2004 XLR

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 ZP 97W
Run Flat 235/50R18

<tbody>
</tbody>

I just bought pirellis for 700. So far good ride and low noise. Half price of the michelins

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 ZP 97W
Run Flat 235/50R18

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
[/QUOTE]

Along this line, I have been looking at tires for my 2009 and not finding a lot to chose from. My Caddy dealer offer the Perilli's and Continental's and discount offered these and Yokohama's. I was going to go with the Yokohama's but now they are not producing them. Now the dealer says the Continental' are unavailable and only yhe Perillis are available in a match set. No one has even mention Michellin's or Goodyears to me. Are we able to use others that are not made for the XLR-V? If so can you tell what the model of the Michellin's is?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom