Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Which run flat to buy?

mongo

My XLR/V(s)
2007 black raven
Ok it looks like run flats are the safe bet.... So is it Goodyear or Michelin or what else is out there.:bash:

Ok it looks like run flats are the safe bet.... So is it Goodyear or Michelin or what else is out there.:bash:
I have had Goodyears on my vette and they suck got rid of them and went to Michelins. I have Michelin on the XLR much better ride.:D

Speedway:)

What Speedway said...... :cool:

I have owned several C4 & C5 Corvettes and Goodyear tires suck. My XLR has the Michelins and they are so much better. A friend of mine has a 09 XLR with 500 miles on it and he changed all of his tires for Michelins. He said the Goodyears sucked too much tire noise.

I just recently struggled with that myself. Went with the Michelin run flats and they seem to ride so much better than the old ones.

Got mine from Sams Club for a fair price, Michelin was having a special, and all turned out well. Was scary letting them have the car, but talked to the technicians and picked out the one I felt was best qualified and requested only he do the work.

They installed my new rims, put nitrogen in the tires and balanced them just fine.
You will want to make sure the shop you choose understands the need for frame pucks to protect the lower rocker panel. The guy I chose has done some late model Vettes and was aware of the issue.

<O:p</O:p
Uintah

You will want to make sure the shop you choose understands the need for frame pucks to protect the lower rocker panel. The guy I chose has done some late model Vettes and was aware of the issue.

Yes! That was the same issue we had .... ! Since 'they' don't see these cars very often (some places never) that little fact always needs to be addressed.....

Could someone explain the "frame pucks" issue? What are they? How are they deployed?

Thanks,

Racingintherain

The frame pucks go into the slots under the rocker panels. The cups on the lift fit into the bottom of the pucks and this is the safe way to lift either an XLR or a 1997-2011 Corvette.

Without these pucks you run the risk of breaking the rocker panels. Many Corvette owners have had damage done to their cars by improper lifting. Some tire shops have tried jacking up a Vette a the rear of the front wheel causing the front fender to break or put the jack through the floor.

Forewarned is forearmed

That's some good information there!

My XLR has never been serviced anywhere other than at the Cadillac dealer, and I plan to keep it that way! But this is good information to have in the event that some unforeseen problem might necessitate a service visit somewhere else.

Anybody using the hockey puck and eye-bolt idea?

The XLR is a very nice car to be using something cobbled together with parts of unknown (China ?) origin. I bought solid aluminum pucks (made in America) on Ebay for a very good price.
Why take the chance for such a small difference in price?

Uintah

Thanks for the information Uintah. I was unaware that aluminum pucks were available (I failed to scroll down on cclarks link). Any preference between rubber over aluminum? Does one fit more snug than the other? I can just see myself driving away from the tire store with them still on:pat:. Anybody have tire change horror stories they would like to share?

That's some good information there!

My XLR has never been serviced anywhere other than at the Cadillac dealer, and I plan to keep it that way! But this is good information to have in the event that some unforeseen problem might necessitate a service visit somewhere else.

Yes .... The last oil change was actually done at Pep Boys. They have the ability to raise the car (or, at least they do here) - we also had our tires (Michelin runflats) changed out at Discount Tire .... they also were able to raise the car with no problems. You just have to BE AVAILABLE when they take the car into the bay and talk with the techs. Lola is no longer under that wonderful Extended Care or Certified .... so it's really a pretty big "ouch" now when she goes in for service. We still take her to the dealer to the XLR certified tech for car specific problems .... but, when I found out that they were going to send her over to Discount Tire themselves (because they don't "do" tires at the dealership" ... I saved myself a few hundred dollars and took her myself. BTW - while we were in Bowling Green for a Rendezvous ... one of the forum buddies here found a screw in his tire ... on a Sunday .... he ran it over to the local ...mmmm, it was either WalMart or KMart (the only thing open) and he was delighted with their service .... and this guy is meticulous about who touches his car. I'd be willing to bet that there are several people on this forum who don't always use a Cadillac dealership ..... We have Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet here who has some of the best techs in the world .... they have assured us that there are a few guys there that are more than capable of working on the XLR ..... Just check in your area ...

I'd be willing to bet that there are several people on this forum who don't always use a Cadillac dealership ..... We have Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet here who has some of the best techs in the world .... they have assured us that there are a few guys there that are more than capable of working on the XLR ..... Just check in your area ...

I do most of the work on my XLR. Anything that needs to be done at the dealer I also take my XLR to my local Chevrolet dealer. They have some very good Corvette techs who have worked on my car.

I do most of the work on my XLR. Anything that needs to be done at the dealer I also take my XLR to my local Chevrolet dealer. They have some very good Corvette techs who have worked on my car.

I am not shocked .... MTRocket has practically rebuilt his car ... and thanks for the info about the Corvette tech's because that is what JJ Chevrolet has working on the XLR's. :rocker:

Thanks for all the great information!

Some very good points in the previous posts!

That's a great idea about using a Chevrolet dealership that has a lot of familiarity with Corvettes. And I see your point of view on the dealership that was going to out-source the tire work as well!

I know that a lot of fellow members drive their cars a lot more than I do and as a result, service trips occur much more frequently! My selling Cadillac dealership has lots of experience with XLRs and that has boosted my confidence in their ability to take care of Crimson Pearl.

It was almost humorous when I took CP in for her service a few weeks ago. My Service Rep. commented to me "It must be XLR day - your car makes 5 in here at the same time!" This is a Cadillac Dealership in a town of less than 25,000 people!

I also provide some technical services for this dealership from my business and instead of paying me by check, we have worked out an arrangement where my VIP Customer Card account gets credited for the amount of my invoice. This is a win-win for both of us.

Great information here from you fellow members, thanks for the tips that will save heartbreak for XLR "newbies" like myself!

Thanks for the information Uintah. I was unaware that aluminum pucks were available (I failed to scroll down on cclarks link). Any preference between rubber over aluminum? Does one fit more snug than the other? I can just see myself driving away from the tire store with them still on:pat:. Anybody have tire change horror stories they would like to share?

The aluminum ones I purchased are similar to the ones in the link, but the round part was taller and left textured on the bottom for better slip resistance. Like mentioned above I keep mine in a bag in the back for use while traveling. I handed mine to the tech in the store and made sure they were handed back when he was finished. The plastic ones in the link look to be the BMW version they issue with the car. They can be snapped in and left, but given the ground clearance on the XLR I am not sure that would be a good idea.

Uintah

It is not a tire change story, but my worst experience was actually with what used to be my local Cadillac Service Department. They had replaced the rubber seal at the top of the front windshield and had not seated it properly, which produced a loud wind noise. They had replaced the leather on the drivers seat; it had cracked, and the tech had scraped the paint on the door jam along with leaving the seat unplugged. The car had been parked outside in a rain/dust storm that left the outside filthy and they had not bothered to clean the grease/dirt from the interior.
When I returned the next day I parked in front of the sales department area, a no parking zone, so the service manager and lead technician could be on display for all to see. I was determined to take no prisoners and no excuses. I spent quite a long time with the quality service people, it helped both ladies loved the car and were shocked at the treatment it had received.

The outcome was the tech was banned from ever working on the car again and the service manager was instructed to do whatever it took to make me happy and keep me that way. All went much better on my follow up visits. Although I did notice the service manager would try to take off when he saw me coming. Didn’t work, I am in charge of catching the cat at home, so he was easy to cut off and nab.

I don’t like to have to be so overly protective of the XLR, but it will be a lot harder on someone if they do bad job and I would rather avoid that outcome.

Uintah

Which run flats to buy

I was under the impression that on the 19" V tires, at least, the michelin run flats required "special" tire change equipment to change the tire, and that equipment is not available at all repair/tire change locations. Something about double compartments.
Any comments, please.

Rusty

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry