Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

windscreen opinion

hawkeye372

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 infrared xlr
now that i have my XLR I want to customize it. I want to first look into a windscreen. But i first want to know which is the best for the least amount of money. I have just started looking around the net and found windrestrictor. The others that i asked people here on were the mesh stye. But my question is what ever i get will i have to take it down every time i put the top up? I looked on you tube at some of the xlrs and the one piece that moves so the top goes in and out of the trunk, looks like it'll get in the way.

I'll take all advice into consideration
Thanks

now that i have my XLR I want to customize it. I want to first look into a windscreen. But i first want to know which is the best for the least amount of money. I have just started looking around the net and found windrestrictor. The others that i asked people here on were the mesh stye. But my question is what ever i get will i have to take it down every time i put the top up? I looked on you tube at some of the xlrs and the one piece that moves so the top goes in and out of the trunk, looks like it'll get in the way.

I'll take all advice into consideration
Thanks

You will find that ALL windscreens do the job that they are purchased to do - and that is to block the wind from swirling around when the top is down. They all seem to block more wind with the windows up when the top is down, with minimal effect when the windows are up. None that I have found have to be removed when the top is put up or down. Watch Ebay... I found my Windblox windscreen for $60 shipped to me. It's smoke tinted, but isn't lighted or anything fancy... just does what I bought it to do...

Windrestrictor

I went with the Windrestrictor. It does not have to be removed or messed with. I do not believe it changes the feel of the wind much and really only when you have the windows up. The one I had put in lights when the brakes are hit making it more visible at night. This one has the V emblem ingraved into it and it looks pretty nice. However one problem I have noticed is that there are some unusual reflections that I had to get use to esspecially when I was backing up. Hawk

If you are going to have the top down why have the windows up? Convertibles should be made so the windows don't go up with the top down. Just my opinion.

If you are going to have the top down why have the windows up? Convertibles should be made so the windows don't go up with the top down. Just my opinion.
I agree with u. Why have a convertible if you drive with the windows up. With put the top up and windows up or top down and windows down. That's why they make convertibles. I have my Top down all the time unless its raining. Even when I had my Honda crv I had my sunroof open and windows down. :dunno:;)

I agree with u. Why have a convertible if you drive with the windows up. With put the top up and windows up or top down and windows down. That's why they make convertibles. I have my Top down all the time unless its raining. Even when I had my Honda crv I had my sunroof open and windows down. :dunno:;)

I guess I need to chime in here for the few us us that are smokers. I love cruisin' top down, but if I have a cigar lit - windows up! With my WindBlox and the windows up, there is almost no air movement within the cabin.

Also PJ and I love to cruise "Our Lady Of The Snows Shrine" and several local neighborhoods after Thanksgiving to see all the Christmas decorations. Its so much better to see the whole displays with the top down. See where I'm going here: windows up works great when the temp is below 60* and the heat is on - very little heat loss.

My XLR is my sixth or seventh convertible, I can't keep track since owning so many. I have lived in Illinois, Texas, Colorado, Florida and Arizona driving convertibles. When the top is down the windows are up, the reason, with tinted windows, it helps keep the sun and wind off my exposed skin as I do tend to get skin cancers from sun. Another reason, with the windows up and during hot weather, the A/C helps to keep me cool, as in the cooler part of the year with the heat on it helps to keep me warm. When I drive in parades I do keep the windows down so I can see the spectators and wave at them.

I have the windblox xlr windscreen. I was happy with the customer service - I got a reply to my email question within a couple of hours, and the windscreen was shipped two days after ordering.

> But my question is what ever i get will i have to take it down every time i put the top up?

I'd be surprised if this is the case for any windscreen - what a royal pain that'd be! I can't imagine any windscreen design would be viable if you have to mount/dismount each time you put the top up.

I have the windblox xlr windscreen. I was happy with the customer service - I got a reply to my email question within a couple of hours, and the windscreen was shipped two days after ordering.

> But my question is what ever i get will i have to take it down every time i put the top up?

I'd be surprised if this is the case for any windscreen - what a royal pain that'd be! I can't imagine any windscreen design would be viable if you have to mount/dismount each time you put the top up.

I also have the Windblox windscreen; and no, you don't have to remove the windscreen to put the top up or down. In fact, I am pretty sure that all windscreens are designed this way.

The OEM windscreen is my preference, its a classic look...imho.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I must admit that I am 'quite the convertible snob'. I absolutely hate top down windows up people, think they are all friggin geeks. :slap: (Firstrobin: your reason is an exception) Worse yet, top down, front windows down but back windows up :dunno: whats with that??? I figure old-timers, similar but different than alzheimers on that senario..... you know the ones that are totally unaware of what is going on around them. (yes, I know I am getting dangerously close to that age myself) It absolutely freaks me out when Steve starts to get tired of the wind etc and puts up his window, I usually stop and put the top up, only exception is on the way home on a cold night and I dont feel like stopping.....Anyway, my two cents worth on that subject.

Anyway, windscreens: I agree with Bluehawk, now that I have one they don't make that huge of a difference, yes-some difference, but not a huge difference unless the windows are up.....but you already heard my rant on that! :reddevil I bought the Windrestrictor with the XLR silhouette and the lighting kit. Great quality, made in the USA! :patriot: Absolutely love the looks, cool as heck at night when you hit the brakes but a bit of a reflection problem from passing lights when the top is up and you have those two surfaces near each other.

I agree with Marc that I prefer to have the windows down whenever the top is down ... but I think it is just a personal choice (like Navy or Army, white or blue :chuckle). About the only time I put the windows up when the top is down is when I get a phone call - too much wind noise with my headset on when the windows are down... I agree with Sandy that I don't think the windrestrictors make that much of a difference when the top is down - but I love the LIGHT effect at night (top down) and it does help if I have to put the windows up for a phone call.

Hope our opinions help. :wave:

I must admit that I am 'quite the convertible snob'. I absolutely hate top down windows up people, think they are all friggin geeks. :slap: (Firstrobin: your reason is an exception) Worse yet, top down, front windows down but back windows up :dunno: whats with that??? I figure old-timers, similar but different than alzheimers on that senario..... you know the ones that are totally unaware of what is going on around them. (yes, I know I am getting dangerously close to that age myself) It absolutely freaks me out when Steve starts to get tired of the wind etc and puts up his window, I usually stop and put the top up, only exception is on the way home on a cold night and I dont feel like stopping.....Anyway, my two cents worth on that subject.

Anyway, windscreens: I agree with Bluehawk, now that I have one they don't make that huge of a difference, yes-some difference, but not a huge difference unless the windows are up.....but you already heard my rant on that! :reddevil I bought the Windrestrictor with the XLR silhouette and the lighting kit. Great quality, made in the USA! :patriot: Absolutely love the looks, cool as heck at night when you hit the brakes but a bit of a reflection problem from passing lights when the top is up and you have those two surfaces near each other.

Grey toad I agree with you top everything down. Every time I get a call from my nephew and I have the top down, he puts his window up. I have mine down and it stays down. My youngest nephew is like me. He wants top down all the time. The other day it was in the mid 50's he said after my appointment can we drop the top. So I dropped it and we were driving in 50 * weather and top down going 70-78 on 95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back