Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Xlr headlight mod

micropimp

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Matte Black XLamboR
So my headlights were smoked and I didn't really like the look. So I decided to try something different. I once tried it on a 350z and several Hondas.. So why not an XLR.... Same concept but not that easy... I messed up one of the lights but i am currently running them without the lenses as the pics show below. Soon does anybody have any spare headlights they could "donate" lol.. As soon as I get another set I will do a "how to" write up. Let me know what you think...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,675
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Good luck with that one. New headlights are about $1000 a piece!!

............................................ Soon does anybody have any spare headlights they could "donate" lol.. .

:eek::eek::eek: I couldn't stop looking at your front end, which appears to be sitting on the parking curb!!!:pat:

How are the lens held on

So my headlights were smoked and I didn't really like the look. So I decided to try something different. I once tried it on a 350z and several Hondas.. So why not an XLR.... Same concept but not that easy... I messed up one of the lights but i am currently running them without the lenses as the pics show below. Soon does anybody have any spare headlights they could "donate" lol.. As soon as I get another set I will do a "how to" write up. Let me know what you think...
Hi
I have one lens that is separating and am wondering how are they attached. If a guy was to use silicon you would see it as the lens is clear. Any idea how its done?

Hi
I have one lens that is separating and am wondering how are they attached. If a guy was to use silicon you would see it as the lens is clear. Any idea how its done?

I removed a bezel for testing a few years ago and ran into the same issue you describe. After some trial and error, I ended up using a vacuum pump to draw the bezel against the soft silicone seal until it was uniformly adhered.

As for the light mod picture, your photo is of the car -not the light. There's no way to see what you did, and no narrative to describe it.
The only winner in that photo looks to be the parking curb.

CC :wave:

Cc looks like he painted the chrome bezels around the light. I thought about trying to put angel eye halos around the hid but am to scared of breaking lights. I had actually seen a pass. Light on eBay for 60 bucks tempting me to buy to do so experimenting but I didn't. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

heres a pic of the headlight. I just ordered a pair from ebay for 275 a pair. As soon as I get them ill start working on them and get them delivered. And the front FASCIA is not on the parking stopper. Its two inches above it :dunno:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,733
I removed a bezel for testing a few years ago and ran into the same issue you describe. After some trial and error, I ended up using a vacuum pump to draw the bezel against the soft silicone seal until it was uniformly adhered.

As for the light mod picture, your photo is of the car -not the light. There's no way to see what you did, and no narrative to describe it.
The only winner in that photo looks to be the parking curb.

CC :wave:
Thanks for the info. This leads to a couple more questions. How did you remove the lens? I was checking on some other lights and they put them in a oven at 200 degrees and then remove the lens. I think they may have a different type of adhesive been that it is not something that is seen through the lens. Did you just put a light coat of silicon? Me and silicon are not one, I seem to get it everywhere but where I want it. How much of a vacuum did you draw?

Did the same on my Chrysler Crossfire Roadster, removed the amber section of the lens. Baked them in the oven to brake the seal....then cut out amber section and then reseal the headlamp. Not to hard to do but also not too easy....got to have patience.
:cool:

Did the same on my Chrysler Crossfire Roadster, removed the amber section of the lens. Baked them in the oven to brake the seal....then cut out amber section and then reseal the headlamp. Not to hard to do but also not too easy....got to have patience.
Does the crossfire have the lens set up like the xlr with the lens placed flat on top or does it bend around and seal in the back? It does not look like the cross fire would show the silicon bubbling like ours will?

Does the crossfire have the lens set up like the xlr with the lens placed flat on top or does it bend around and seal in the back? It does not look like the cross fire would show the silicon bubbling like ours will?

Fortunately the Crossfire just uses a amber bulb and not a lens. I opened them up to install an LED ring around the headlamp bezel to make "angel eyes". Similar to the headlamps that you see on BMW's and the newer Camaro's.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

The xlrs actually have TWO sealing points.. ONE where the clear plastic meets the bezel( which I highly recommend to not remove) and where the bezel meets the headlamp housing. I baked them in the oven at 450 for 6min. The problem was that I left one of them in their for way took long because I was working on the other one. And the clear plastic came off the bezel and the bezel melted of the housing!! How that's how you learn!

The xlrs actually have TWO sealing points.. ONE where the clear plastic meets the bezel( which I highly recommend to not remove) and where the bezel meets the headlamp housing. I baked them in the oven at 450 for 6min. The problem was that I left one of them in their for way took long because I was working on the other one. And the clear plastic came off the bezel and the bezel melted of the housing!! How that's how you learn!

Makes for an expensive learning curve, though...

Just installed new headlights. Should I open them up and black out the bezels? Or leave it as is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,300
I think the murdered out look is cool "different". On the other hand the car could use alittle contrast. Is it possible to tint the clear lense on the headlight and leave a circle in the center like some headlights that I see or would it melt. Would u be able to get me a measurement of the opening in the rear of the bezel where the hid goes. Also could I get the outside diameter of the hid assy. I'm looking for the measurements of the air gap around the hid bulb to the bezel? Any help would be great thanks.

Just installed new headlights. Should I open them up and black out the bezels? Or leave it as is?

My "vote" is to leave them this way. They look great, much (!) better than that blacked out former look, IMO.

Tim

As you can see in the 1st pic.. That's the bezel (on the left) that is sealed to the headlight housing and glued to the Lens(top lens). The lens on the right has the bezel glued on. Ok.. I'm sorry.. I don't know why my pics get uploaded upside down or sideways:dunno:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 640
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 605
As you can see in the 1st pic.. That's the bezel (on the left) that is sealed to the headlight housing and glued to the Lens(top lens). The lens on the right has the bezel glued on. Ok.. I'm sorry.. I don't know why my pics get uploaded upside down or sideways:dunno:

thanks for the pics micropimp. My issue is the lens is lifting. I am tring to figure out how to get it back on properly. Are you able to tell what kind of adheasive was holding your lens on? Why are you saying that you would highly reccomend that i do not remove the lens? thanks CC Clark mentioned that he used silicon and vacuum pump to get the lens to stick on the bezel without bubbles. I was hoping for a how to you tube.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom