Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR wanted cash buyer midwest

Note: The TRACTION CONTROL 'ON' will cost you 2 MPG on the highway but I do not advise turning it 'OFF' for city driving as you'll wear out the rear tires fast.)

Why do you think TC On costs you 2 MPG Hiway...it only engages when it detects the wheels spinning? As far as wearing out rear tires with TC Off in the city that should only happen if you light them up from every stop sign and red light in which case the TC will be eating up your brakes as it tries to stop the tires from spinning.

Jack:
Mine is #221. Build date 08/24/2005.
I like your HP gains from your mods.
On the Corsa, I've gotten feedback that it's a touch loud and would really appreciate your feedback on that:
Cruising on highway with top down
Around town
idle and of course
When you punch it
I also have a 2011 Mustang GT that had the SLP loudmouths on it when I bought it. Got sick of the drone (65 MPH highway) and how loud it was when you got on it just a little (attracted very cop for miles around), so I really don't want to get into that.
I found that cold air kit and it looks like a good add on to me. Did you have any trouble with fit / installation? Any computer flags or warnings when you fired it up?
Thanks tons for all that info, it is really appreciated.
The car I bought had 8,000 miles on it and was really in mint condition (which of course cost me some extra $$ as the gentleman who owned it knew he had a jewel). Like they say, you get what you pay for and I wanted a nice one.
Keep in touch, by the way, what part of the country are you in? Kansas City area here.
Back in 1966, I had 66 Dodge Charger with the Police Interceptor 383 CID power plant and the original exhaust system had what I thought was a wimpy sound so I changed the mufflers to Cherry Bomb Fiberglass packs and found that was a really BAD idea. They were so loud I could not turn the 8 Track volume up loud enough to hear it. The design of this car was such the it was like you were sitting inside the cone of a very large speaker.
I eventually went back to the stock exhaust!

The Corsa exhaust system seems to strike that perfect balance between sound and performance. While driving around town, it has a very low level rumble sound that seems to say "I'm a little more than just a luxury sports car." And when you get on it, the tone changes and seems to say "Get out of the way, I'm coming through!"
On the highway, curzing at a constant speed with the curze control on the tone of the exhaust has a really pleasing sound to my ears.
I would say this about the Corsa Exhaust, "Normal driving it's like a kitten in your lap purring but when you get on it, it has the roar of a lion!"

CAI: I had my exhaust and Volant CAI installed by D3 RESEARCH & DESIGN here in Long Beach, CA. and they also did before and after Dyno runs that showed a 40 HP gain after the installation.

I live in Lawndale, California just about 7 miles south of LAX and 5 miles east of Manhattan Beach, CA.

Just to chime in on the intake. I found a nice alternative to the volant (plastic) intake. It still splits of to twin conical style filters. I like the chrome look of what can b done with the V. Here r some eBay numbers that consist of a Y piece that is 9778, two 45 elbows 9749, a mass air cover 9705, and some clamps 9706. The filters I used r 9732. All the pieces are from spectre and all said about 125 bucks. The routing is about the same as other cai's although you could add another 22 degree and get the filters lower in the bay. Also take away matting on back of grille along with under rad. area. Looking to make a scoop to ride center of car low by valance area to direct more air to radiator intake area. Question with the electric fan, injector set- up. Does it work? Sounds kind of hoakie. I have read about them just doesn't seem worthy?

Stella, about the eRaceing electric superchargers.
I thought the same as you, "Sounds kind of hoakie." but I had some extra money and time on my hands so I bought a pair of them and they fit perfectly on the Volant CAI, replacing the large K&N conical filters.
After wiring up the relays and the switch, I took it out for a test run which it failed. When I punched it at 65 mph the engine almost died and the Check Engine light came on. After releasing the gas pedal, the engine came back up and was performing normally.
When I returned home I checked the code which said that both banks were running lean. I cleared the code and drove out to my daughter's, about 60 miles from my home at the normal driving without putting the pedal to the metal with no problems. On the way back, at the mid point of the trip, I got on it with the same results, ie: engine died and check engine light on, let off the gas and the engine came back. Got home and checked the code and it was the same as before, Lean mixture. Cleared that and went back to the drawing board and somemore research.
Because my ECM could not be re-program (remapped) I had to think of another way to increase the fuel to air ratio.
That's when I got the idea to install the 9th fuel injector.
After somemore research, I chose the "Cold Start Injector" for the first Fuel injected V8 engine of the Corvette. These injectors had a nice umbrella spray pattern which was perfect for injecting into the front of the intake manifold chamber behind the throttle body butterfly and the fuel was fid to it from the Injector Fuel Line Pressure Test Valve just about 6" from where I mounted the Injector.( Of course I removed the internal valve from the fitting.)
This mod cost me less than $1,000.00 and increased my HP another 45 horses.
The only draw back was last summer when I blew my tranny at NCH in BG, KY. That cost me just over $2,000.00 to replace. And I did it by myself!

Note: The TRACTION CONTROL 'ON' will cost you 2 MPG on the highway but I do not advise turning it 'OFF' for city driving as you'll wear out the rear tires fast.)

Why do you think TC On costs you 2 MPG Hiway...it only engages when it detects the wheels spinning? As far as wearing out rear tires with TC Off in the city that should only happen if you light them up from every stop sign and red light in which case the TC will be eating up your brakes as it tries to stop the tires from spinning.

Agwondra, if you don't believe me, the next time you take a trip in your XLR or any vehicle that has TC and Cruze Control, reset your MPG indicator after you ingage the Cruze Control and with the TC 'ON' at the constant speed that you can maintain and drive for over 20 miles then note the MPG. Then turn 'OFF' the TC and drive another 20 + miles with the Curze Control still engaged at the same speed and note the difference.

I first found out about this 2 MPG difference with my 1986 Caddie Fleetwood DeElagant, then with my 2004 Chevy Impala, my lady friends Pontac Soltice GTX.

As for wearing out the rear tires in city driving with the TC 'OFF' I seem to wear out the RR faster than the LR because in my area it seems that every intersection has drainage ditches and when making a right hand turn, the RR tire looses traction when the RF wheel goes higher than the LR. These cars have a stiffer frame than the normal Coupe and Sedan. I have friends that have corvettes and they have the same problem with their rear wheels with the TC 'OFF'.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom