Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR wanted cash buyer midwest

steve246810

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Star black XLR, #221
Looking for a "cream puff" XLR. Individual, have funds available. Must be low mileage and in mint condition. Contact cell and leave message with what you might have and I'll get back to you shortly if interested. I want to deal with the owner, not a dealer who has no knowledge on the car. 913-558-8600

looks like I found one

Got a deal in the works for a 2006 with 8k miles. Hope it goes through with no problems

Got a deal in the works for a 2006 with 8k miles. Hope it goes through with no problems

Good luck, Steve! What color? V Series?

You won't regret your decision! The XLR is an AWESOME car! :rocker:

limited model (black) not the V series

It's a very close to perfect one.
One thing I've found out after looking for one of these for a couple of months now is that they seem to be holding their value now. Of course they had a big drop from brand new list price, but the folks that own low mileage mint cars are sure not going to give them away for low ball prices. I also found out that dealers are going after these models quickly and if you snooze you loose.
Car should be in my garage Saturday if all goes well, but as the old saying goes "don't count your chickens before they hatch" we will have to see.

One thing I've found out after looking for one of these for a couple of months now is that they seem to be holding their value now.

I believe this to be the case, in most instances.

As with any expensive automobile, they took the big depreciation right after they were sold as new. There certainly is a big price to be paid to take delivery of that new car from the dealer!

It appears to me that the market "bottomed out" about 3 years ago. A lot of people were trading in or selling their earlier models for 2009 models when they realized that 2009 would be the last year of production for the XLR. Also, the financial "crunch" made a lot of people wonder if they really needed, or could afford, a very expensive toy in their garage that wasn't being driven much.

I have tracked prices since my purchase and have seen that the price for very nice, low mileage cars has not only held, but increased slightly in the last year.

Just as with Corvettes, there will always be high mileage cars in only fair condition that pull the overall price down. I believe that the market price for very nice, low to moderate mileage XLRs will continue to hold or even increase.

2006 Star Black limited has a new home in KC

My deal went through with no problems, 8k total miles on the car.
Not driven much, but kept pretty clean.
Took it home and spent a day detailing the engine compartment, super wax and polish and it looks like a new car.
I think this is going to be fun.
Got to change the exhaust, just does not sound the way I think it should (yep I know, Cadillac built it for a luxury car, but I life performance sound), doesn't run too bad at all.
I'll be looking around here and sure would appreciate any tips from anyone.

Congratulations.... hope you drive it and love it .... we have driven our Lola across country several times .... We did take a pretty good size hit in depreciation, but I don't regret a dollar of it. If I hadn't of paid it, I wouldn't have had the experiences, made the friends, or enjoyed my car for the past 6 years .... She is the only car that we have kept this long .... I love her. :love: Hope to meet up with you someday!

My deal went through with no problems, 8k total miles on the car.
Not driven much, but kept pretty clean.
Took it home and spent a day detailing the engine compartment, super wax and polish and it looks like a new car.
I think this is going to be fun.
Got to change the exhaust, just does not sound the way I think it should (yep I know, Cadillac built it for a luxury car, but I life performance sound), doesn't run too bad at all.
I'll be looking around here and sure would appreciate any tips from anyone.

Congrats, Steve! I'm sure you will have miles and miles of smiles driving your NEW-TO-YOU XLR. Looking forward to meeting you sometime. Be sure to check out BOBFEST 2012 if you want to meet up with a few of us in one spot - its a great event!

Regarding your take on the XLR exhaust, I totally agree with you. I switched out my exhaust to Corsa last year and LOVE it. They might be pricey, but well worth it (and the tips look great too).

ENJOY!

Hey Steve...
Glad it worked out... drive safe and have a blast with your new ride!!!

Congrats, Steve!

Cuddle & coddle her, she will make for many happy "smiles!!" We all love these cars, many have had more than one--I'm on my third!

Welcome! :wave: I am somewhat new here too.

This is a great forum for information and to meet fellow XLR enthusiasts. With under 17,000 cars produced in the 6 years of production you won't find dozens of owners in your area :( but you will here!

I am super curious to see some pictures and please do post info about what you bought, color, options and planned mods etc.
Wow, only 8,000 miles on an '06...nice find! ;)

BTW: I also added Corsa exhaust: sweet sound without the nasty moan inside when you have the top up. Easy install too, high quality stuff and it fits like a glove if you want to do that in your garage yourself!

Steve just wanted to congratulate u on the great find. Their's a lot of great people on the site with good info. I recently did a exhaust system on mine. I purchased hooker max flow muffler's. I used all existing pipe same size as aftermarket just went and had ceramic coated for heat transfer. I welded the mufflers on with new tips. I'll post some pictures in the right area when I get a chance. Their is no drone and while doing some research found they are the lowest decibel at w.o.t. Haven't heard anything like it nice and throaty. Great purchase though you might have just change your life. Full throttle!

New XLR Kansas City

The low mileage 2006 (8K miles) is the star black limited with the only color (shale) available.
Question for Gray toad on the Corsa. I want a mellow no drone tone on the exhaust, not super loud. Does that fit the bill or do you have any regrets putting it on?
My plans are to do some minor mods at first like just standard K&N filter (air) and possibly a cold air intake if I can find one available for this car. I will probably buy some aftermarket wheels (keeping the original as spares) to set it off different and maybe the cool looking wind deflector. Loyd matts with XLR logo in black as those shale ones show too much dirt.
It would be great to figure a way to use the on star set up with a regular phone as the on star seems like an overpriced rip off to me.
The other thing I would like to do is change the grill set up to the "V" style as they look totally cool.
That is the beginning and to make things more fun, this is the 5th black car that I have now (57 Chevy resto mod, 2011 Mustang GT, Momma 2012 Explorer and the old black 1997 F150 work truck).
Keep in touch, I'm finding out lots on this sight also and there is lots of good information.

Question for Gray toad on the Corsa. I want a mellow no drone tone on the exhaust, not super loud. Does that fit the bill or do you have any regrets putting it on?
My plans are to do some minor mods at first like just standard K&N filter (air) and possibly a cold air intake if I can find one available for this car. I will probably buy some aftermarket wheels (keeping the original as spares) to set it off different and maybe the cool looking wind deflector.

Steve,

I'll chime in on the Corsa exhaust - I installed on my '05 (Black, of course) and the sound is AMAZING! It is BY FAR, my favorite upgrade/mod I did to my XLR. Love the sound at IDLE (nice rumble), LOVE the sound at full throttle, and nice and quick while just cruising on the highway at 80mph or so. I also added the Cold Air Intake - they do make them for the Northstars in the XLR.

btw - I love the Black Star Edition - beautiful. Hope you try and find a way to make it to Funfest/Bobfest in Illinois in Sept - it will be a great time to meet quite a few forum members all at once.

Congrats again. :wave:

Corsa system with top down

Even with the top down it's not too much? I haven't had a convertible for a long time (last one was a 1957 chevy that I drove to high school), had straight pipes on it which I loved as a kid, but would not want now.
Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

Even with the top down it's not too much? I haven't had a convertible for a long time (last one was a 1957 chevy that I drove to high school), had straight pipes on it which I loved as a kid, but would not want now.
Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.

Not at all ... I love the sound when I romp on it ... but most of the sound is behind you, even with the top down (unless, of course, you goose it when you are in a tunnel - then its just FUN :chuckle). I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Corsa. Maybe, if you are ever near Chicago, we can hook up and you can hear for yourself. There are a few of us with Corsas and I haven't met anyone who didn't like the change.

XLR wanted cash buyer midwest Reply to Thread

Hi Steve and welcome to the net,

The name here is Jack and I also am the proud owner of #165 Star Black Limited Edition 2006 XLR. There were only 250 of these built. What # is yours? If you don't know, open the driver's door and look down at the sill plate and it will have xxx/250. (Mine is 165/250.)

The first mods I did on mine were Corsa exhaust and Volant CAI. Dino runs on these mods increased the RWHP by 40hp and increased the Highway MPG (with the Traction Control OFF) to 30MPG.

Note: The TRACTION CONTROL 'ON' will cost you 2 MPG on the highway but I do not advise turning it 'OFF' for city driving as you'll wear out the rear tires fast.)

The build date on my car was 8-16-2005 and D3 told me my ECM is Hard Coded and could not be re-programmed but I found a way to kick my HP up to just over 385 by adding 2 eRasing Electric Superchargers to the Volant CAI and a nineth fuel injector in the Thorttle Body behind the Butterfly valve. This system is controlled by a nicro switch under the gas pedal and is activated ONLY when the 'PEDAL IS TO THE MENTAL'!

I also found out that because of my build date, I have a feature in my GPS system that the later builds do not have. I/passenger can reprogram the GPS and play DVDs while the vehicle is moving at posted speeds.

To do this, start the car and make sure the entertainment system is 'ON'. After the display comes up and displays the 'WARNING' notice, touch the 'I agree' then bring up the 'PLAN ROUTE' by pushing the 'ROUTE' button to the right of the screen. Then hold your finger on the bottom right corner of the screen until the screen changes showing 8 touch screen buttons. Touch the 'RUN' button in the menu.
To exit this mode, look up to the top right corner of the screen and hidden under the 'time and temp' bar is the 'RETURN BUTTON'. Using your fingernail, touch it and you'll return to the 'PLAN ROUTE' screen. In my car, I can do this while driving by myself, if I'm in really light traffic, or instruct my passenger on how to do it.
If you stop and shut off the engine, you'll have to re-set this function.
I have made it a habit to set it up while the engine is warming up and circulating it's fluids.

You do not have to start the engine to check if your system has this feature, you can just put it in the 'Acc' mode. If nothing happens after 30 seconds of holding your finger on the screen, you do not have this feature.

If you want to play DVDs while driving, do the following with the engine running and in 'PARK'
There is a rocker switch above the 'PWR/VOL' switch with a music symbol on left and rectangular symbol on the right which means 'SCREEN'.
Push and hold the screen symbol for about 5 to 15 seconds or until the screen changes displaying a touch-pad. Enter 1791 code then touch the 'ENTER' button.
Then push the 'TILT' button in the bottom right hand corner of the display frame and remove the GPS DVD and insert your movie DVD.
I really like this feature because the music videos have a much better sounds than CD, or radio.(IMHO)
Again, if you shut off the car, you'll have to re-set this feature before you start driving again and also might I mention that the GPS system will not work while in the DVD mode.
Also a plus for this is if your on a trip and you have to stop for gas etc. you can skip the part that tells you to exchange the GPS DVD for you Video DVD. The system will remember where it stopped and continue on.

Great inof from Jack

Jack:
Mine is #221. Build date 08/24/2005.
I like your HP gains from your mods.
On the Corsa, I've gotten feedback that it's a touch loud and would really appreciate your feedback on that:
Cruising on highway with top down
Around town
idle and of course
When you punch it
I also have a 2011 Mustang GT that had the SLP loudmouths on it when I bought it. Got sick of the drone (65 MPH highway) and how loud it was when you got on it just a little (attracted very cop for miles around), so I really don't want to get into that.
I found that cold air kit and it looks like a good add on to me. Did you have any trouble with fit / installation? Any computer flags or warnings when you fired it up?
Thanks tons for all that info, it is really appreciated.
The car I bought had 8,000 miles on it and was really in mint condition (which of course cost me some extra $$ as the gentleman who owned it knew he had a jewel). Like they say, you get what you pay for and I wanted a nice one.
Keep in touch, by the way, what part of the country are you in? Kansas City area here.

Just to chime in on the intake. I found a nice alternative to the volant (plastic) intake. It still splits of to twin conical style filters. I like the chrome look of what can b done with the V. Here r some eBay numbers that consist of a Y piece that is 9778, two 45 elbows 9749, a mass air cover 9705, and some clamps 9706. The filters I used r 9732. All the pieces are from spectre and all said about 125 bucks. The routing is about the same as other cai's although you could add another 22 degree and get the filters lower in the bay. Also take away matting on back of grille along with under rad. area. Looking to make a scoop to ride center of car low by valance area to direct more air to radiator intake area. Question with the electric fan, injector set- up. Does it work? Sounds kind of hoakie. I have read about them just doesn't seem worthy?

Looks like its time to rename this thread. Congrats on your acquisition.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom