Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XM Radio - require an External Antenna?

ChicagoDave

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Black XLR V, 2005 Black XLR, 2018 XT5 AWD, 2010 Black CTX Wagon AWD
I recently recieved a deal from SiriusXM radio to activate my XLR XM radio for $20 for 5 months. I signed up and my XLR is not getting the XM signal. My question is: does my 2005 require the external antenna on the trunk for the XM to work? I see a couple of cars in our group with this antenna, but didn't know if I had to have it for XM to work.

Help anyone?

Thanks.

I recently recieved a deal from SiriusXM radio to activate my XLR XM radio for $20 for 5 months. I signed up and my XLR is not getting the XM signal. My question is: does my 2005 require the external antenna on the trunk for the XM to work? I see a couple of cars in our group with this antenna, but didn't know if I had to have it for XM to work.

Help anyone?

Thanks.

Yes, '04 & '05 need the external antenna.

Yes, '04 & '05 need the external antenna.

Thanks Bruce ... so the $20 deal isn't such a deal if it will cost $385+ for the antenna, huh? :( (pricing I got from newgmparts.com). Do you know of any less expensive antenna options? :dunno:

Thanks Bruce ... so the $20 deal isn't such a deal if it will cost $385+ for the antenna, huh? :( (pricing I got from newgmparts.com). Do you know of any less expensive antenna options? :dunno:

You may be able to find a used or even an unused one for sale.:wave:

Here is my cheap alternative that works great and doesn't use the nasty-looking wart antenna that requires drilling in your rear decklid:

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3063

CC :wave:

Thanks CC, for this valuable info. I have ordered my two TERK accys and am waiting for them to arrive. I don't really like the idea of drilling a hole in my decklid - and this way might be the way to go.
I would like your opinion, since you have experienced this install already:
After pulling out the light blue plug, from the XM module, I see that it is really just an adapter to hold the two antenna leads into the module. Not having the XM-SP Splitter yet, do you know if there is enough clearence to just plug the two antenna leads from the splitter, directly into the XM module? I would somehow need to make sure they stay in secure, obviously. My other alternative, that I was thinking of, was to just plug the XM-SP splitter into the two leads on the trunklid (where the factory WERP antenna plugs into) and run the XM Micro cable down along the left trunk support (where the other wires run) and up the the cabin. What do you think?

Thank you very much for your help - THIS is the kind of assistance/information that makes this forum so awesome!

OK, CC, I see what you now mean with pulling the two antenna leads out of the blue plug. I was able to remove the plug from inside the car (after removing the center storage compartment). I found that there is a purple "clip" that locks in the two leads into the light blue plug. I've removed this clip and the leads came right out (able to do it from in the car).

I will try to add to your excellent step-by-step process with some pictures.

Just waiting for my TERK items to come in this week.

Thanks CC, for this valuable info. I have ordered my two TERK accys and am waiting for them to arrive. I don't really like the idea of drilling a hole in my decklid - and this way might be the way to go.
I would like your opinion, since you have experienced this install already:
After pulling out the light blue plug, from the XM module, I see that it is really just an adapter to hold the two antenna leads into the module. Not having the XM-SP Splitter yet, do you know if there is enough clearence to just plug the two antenna leads from the splitter, directly into the XM module? I would somehow need to make sure they stay in secure, obviously. My other alternative, that I was thinking of, was to just plug the XM-SP splitter into the two leads on the trunklid (where the factory WERP antenna plugs into) and run the XM Micro cable down along the left trunk support (where the other wires run) and up the the cabin. What do you think?

Thank you very much for your help - THIS is the kind of assistance/information that makes this forum so awesome!

As you can tell already, this is a pretty easy install. Even a caveman can do it! The low-profile, magnetic base antenna adheres solidly to the metal grill on the dash. My XM reception has always been rock-solid.

Have fun!

Success!

Thanks cc, for the great install info - new antenna installed (hardly even noticable on the speaker grill) and XM coming in loud and clear. Will make the drive down to Indy and the Carolinas much easier. :rocker:

You're most welcome. I'm glad it worked out for you. If you can think of any improvements to my install procedure, I'd be glad to incorporate them for the next person.

To get the best value for your subscription $$$, you might want to consider subscribing year-to-year. At the end of the year, you call them and say you want to cancel since it's getting too expensive. That's when they mention all the (un-advertised) good deals to be had. I'm paying the price of one vehicle for two now. The salesman said to call back and do the same thing next year, and they would likely repeat the offer. XM is losing listeners (probably due to iPods and other portable media) and is willing to offer great deals to keep your business.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back