Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR-V 2007, your opinion on car's history

beefsteak

Hi!

My boyfriend is looking at picking up a XLR-V tomorrow.

Earlier today I was reading the car's history.

-at 500km, Steering column replacement (the salesman says the car part got ordered but the work wasn't done as no mechanic logged in time for it)
-glass, quarter-folding top,left (i think that's the little window attached to the top) changed at 378 km,1365 km and 1706 km.(yes,three times!)
- at 2480 km folding top motor replacement
-at 2480 km, arm assembly,front control,lower,left replaced
-at 2139 km, rear wheel bearing and hub replaced

I'd like to have your opinion about this car's history.
The repeated repair to the glass worries me and in general it looks like a lot
of repairs??
The car was in no accident I was told, will see the vin search tomorrow.

I wish you could see Lola's work history. About the size of a small phone book ..... :blinzel:

Is the car still under warranty?
I don't remember reading that there has been too many problems with the V's, but it seems as though that once a problem has been resolved, usually (except for us '04s) that's the end of the complaint. The car rocks. He will love it - so will you - have fun! :wave:

The car is still under warranty for a year and a half and I might encourage him to get an extended warranty mainly because of the repeat problem.

The car is still under warranty for a year and a half and I might encourage him to get an extended warranty mainly because of the repeat problem.
You should get the GM extended warranty. Is this car being bought from a dealer. If so they should pre certify it. If not you will want to purchase one from GM.

Fred;)

A "Certified" car just means that the warranty is through GM. It usually lasta until 100,000 miles, and you get most of the same benefits (warranty-wise) as if you bought it new.

Those are unusual problems for an 07, but nothing seems tooooo critical.

If the dealer does NOT offer it as a "certified" used car, buy the extra GM warranty. PS Most of us have purchased it online for discointed prices. Know the online price before your BF buys so you get a good deal. I think I bought mine from Bob Pion Pontiac, but I don't remember....

Clarifications

I just talked to the dealership, they called the dealership where the car was purchased and serviced and were told that
-the steering column was not replaced but a bolt was tightened because of squeaking
-the little window was never replaced but they used that code when the car's battery died and they needed to reprogram the sensors

I imagine they are telling the truth?
I feel more comfortable.

I see that your from Vancouver, Canada how is it up there in Canada and I would strongly recommand that you get the extended warranty plan as I had a number of issues with my XLR and if it wasn't for the warranty I would have paid over $50,000 in repairs. If you have any questions on how it works in Vancouver feel free to give me a shout!

Thank you all!

John got the car!

He did get the extended warranty as well but it would be great if it was
problem-free for a while.

He's only got a license plate in the back for now, what a shame to have to put
one in front! I am not so sure how we are gonna do it...

There are a variety of aftermarket license plate brackets that affix to the underside of the front bumper. You can even slide them under to hide them, and pop them back up for driving. A couple forum members have the "remote controlled" version.

Either solution is VERY nifty, and it solves the problem of how to do the front plate without drilling.

(It's made for Corvettes but works fine on XLRs)

I almost forgot - CONGRATULATIONS, and welcome to the forum!!!!!

Thanks HOMEGAMEROOM,
I was hoping somebody would offer some kind of solution for the license plate.
Any idea where I should look for one of these bracket things?

Congrats on getting the XLR you will have a good time with it. I am happy that you got the extended warranty and you will be pleased also as time goes forward. Welcome to the forum we are a great group of XLR entusiast and you will always have a place to look up information which will help you. We also have are very own Cadillac Tech, Bruce who always provides factual information and assistance to everyone in need. Bruce is also are Super moderator. Welcome to our group.:blinzel:

Speedway
Fred:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry