Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Battery Tender

A

Animate

Does the XLR tend to lose battery charge if left sitting, say for 2 weeks?

This depends on a lot of things like condition of battery, temperature of the car, etc...

With my 06 XLR-V with its original battery, I find that it goes dead around 3 weeks...

I've since got a battery tender and use it whenever i won't be driving for over a week... but after some research I realize that I should have bought a battery desulfator instead:

http://www.batteryminders.com/batte...motive-Battery-Chargers-orderby0-p-1-c-3.html

Does the XLR tend to lose battery charge if left sitting, say for 2 weeks?

Yes they can. Your best bet is to use a battery tender when your car is going to be setting for a few weeks. We will be hooking ours up here real soon for the long winter nap.

My current car loses charge over time too, but it's old enough I just disconnect the battery when it sits. I presume that isn't an option on the XLR? Does it loose radio codes or?

It is always doing something--most of the time searching for any fobs in the vicinity of the car to 'wake' things up. I always put the tender on mine if it sits longer than two weeks at a time.

Disconnecting the battery on the XLR loses the window indexes, which you would have to be reset before you could work the top. Not hard to do, but easier plugging in the battery tender.

My current car loses charge over time too, but it's old enough I just disconnect the battery when it sits. I presume that isn't an option on the XLR? Does it loose radio codes or?

I have about eight Battery Minder Plus charger/conditioners and use them on everything... lawnmower, golf cart, spare batteries for emergency power, etc, but have never hooked one to my XLR. So far the XLR been sitting for up to two weeks and I have had no problem starting it. The current battery is only about 9 months old though. I agree with Richard, the Battery Minder is also a battery conditioner, not just a charger and it will extend the life of your battery if you use it regularly. Picked mine up at Northern Tools.

Yes, the battery will go dead.
I brought a used 06 XLR in August which was two and a half years old (22,000 m.). The service records show that the battery was replaced twice in the first two and a half years of use. The mechanics I spoke to said that this is common if a car lays idle for long periods of time. The dealers have the same problem with new cars they keep on their lots.
I bought a CTEK Multi US 3300 battery charger and it works great. It's a very small unit that can be mounted under the hood , if you like. When the charge is complete the unit automatically go to "pulse maintenance".
I usually hook it up when the car is going to sit for more than a week.
Good luck.

I plug mine in everytime I get out... even if I plan on driving it later or the next day. The "charge" light always comes on... I read somewhere that the car should be driven at least 2 hours to charge the battery after just starting the car.

battery

I drive mine every day rain or shine not a problem yet.

I drive my 2008 XLR just about every day. No charging problems so far. I have left it in the garage for a week (acutally 9 days) with no problems. I put the top up and down a lot, including during today's beautiful day in Atlanta. Most trips are short, but 2-3 days a week I drive 15 miles (30 round trip) to my downtown office. So far, it has been a great, trouble free car!

I drive my 2008 XLR just about every day. No charging problems so far. I have left it in the garage for a week (acutally 9 days) with no problems. I put the top up and down a lot, including during today's beautiful day in Atlanta. Most trips are short, but 2-3 days a week I drive 15 miles (30 round trip) to my downtown office. So far, it has been a great, trouble free car!

The problem isn't with the charging system, it's with the discharging of the battery when the car sets for an extended period of time. The more time behind the wheel, the better.:cool:

Good topic, went out and purchased a CTEK yesterday. The hopes for a brown Xmas were dashed with 4" of snow over night with probably an additional 4" today. Good night just to keep warm and watch Monday Night Football.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr :ugh:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back