Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Differential Noise

Interesting. 6 instead of 8. Anyone seen an SB on that?

My dealer used a synthetic fluid, but it was not the GM LS fluid called for in the bulletin. I have some Mobil One LS fluid for my Denali that I may try in the XLR...otherwise, I'll ge them to change it at the next service...

Still have a little growl on dead stop sharp turns until the fluid warms up. Then it's quiet. No pops, no squeals...

Trip & PA Inspection!

Any other recommendation I missed? Sending mine in this Friday for PA Inspection is due and a full overall check up, getting it ready for March trip to GA. So while it is in gonna get Trans flush, Coolant flush & Rear end lube exchange it has 61,000 mile, I think changing these is a good ideal keeping your oils clean, on next visit in when doing the brakes (when ever pads need changed) will do a brake fluid flush & power streering unit flush too! :rocker: DID I MISS ANYTHING ELSE???? :dunno:

Caddyman Dan :wave:

Question for those who may have had this service bulletin performed on their vehicles:

Saw this thread and knew I wanted to have it done as I have experienced the associated noises when in reverse and slow turning. I contacted my service advisor and learned that there had been an update to "B" on 4/14/10 that required the same Dexron gear oil replacement. I've scheduled it for tomorrow morning.

It appears that this is a procedure for which I will be responsible to pay. The cost is approx. $170 due to the high cost of the oil. My original warranty expired in Jan. of 2011 and I was able to nab a GMPP (shortly thereafter). The GMPP will not pay for this procedure, but will pay for the next step if necessary (differential replacement) at deductible cost only. Does this sound accurate to those who may have had a similar situation?
Thanks!

Question for those who may have had this service bulletin performed on their vehicles:

Saw this thread and knew I wanted to have it done as I have experienced the associated noises when in reverse and slow turning. I contacted my service advisor and learned that there had been an update to "B" on 4/14/10 that required the same Dexron gear oil replacement. I've scheduled it for tomorrow morning.

It appears that this is a procedure for which I will be responsible to pay. The cost is approx. $170 due to the high cost of the oil. My original warranty expired in Jan. of 2011 and I was able to nab a GMPP (shortly thereafter). The GMPP will not pay for this procedure, but will pay for the next step if necessary (differential replacement) at deductible cost only. Does this sound accurate to those who may have had a similar situation?
Thanks!

Yes, this is reasonable for an expired warranty item. I had my diff fluid replaced yesterday because the rear end was slipping on tight turns. It fixed the problem and the cost was about the same.

Thanks!

I had mine changed this past summer... before the slipping began - at my cost of around $160. Figured I'd be proactive rather than reactive, since most end up with the problem...

Please tell me how a few quarts of oil can cost that much??? :dunno:

the cost of the perfume is relative to the results expected at the end of the evenings festivities.
:love: Obviously the oil is expected to give similar results and more regularly :blinzel:

the cost of the perfume is relative to the results expected at the end of the evenings festivities.
:love: Obviously the oil is expected to give similar results and more regularly :blinzel:

:chuckle :laugh:

Yes, this is reasonable for an expired warranty item. I had my diff fluid replaced yesterday because the rear end was slipping on tight turns. It fixed the problem and the cost was about the same.

Apparently the oil change does not fix all of the slippage issues in all cases. Mine came back today after only 48 hours out of the shop, and goes back in on Friday morning for more diagnostics. :( I hope they get it right this time.

What a Deal!

Wow! :) I must have gotten a good deal they only charged me $92.42 to change the rear differential fluid. Although I took it in for PA inspection,Trans, & Coolant flush also, they ended up finding out it has a oil and coolant leak. They said it was the water pump outlet crossover gaskets, Lucky I bought a Route 66 bumper to bumper coverage which covered most of the repair bill for that. They degreased the area where all the coolant and oil had leaked and put a die in the oil to see where the very small oil leaks is coming from. They could not find the oil leak it is a very slow one. They said we need to drive it awhile so the leaks shows up so we are driving it to Savanah GA the 1st of March for our 33rd annivesary getaway so by the time we get back it should leak oil enough to hopefully find it. Also I did notice when I drove back home I tested it for the jerking when turning hard at slow speeds in forward and reverse and it was gone! They showed me the tires are in bad conditions so I order some Michelin Pilot Super Sports / 30,000 mile warranty from my local business tire supplier for our business vans. He had to get them shipped from California the only place in the US that had only 6 in stock. They are not run flats which cost more,they had no warranty at all and said they should not be repaired if the do get hole but should be replaced with a new tire, which I did not know that either. I do have a slime container and 12 volt airpump for a small hole repair if needed and 3 different Roadside options to choose from if I do get a non repairable flat!
The cost was $1,122.00 on the car with nitrogen also. :rocker:

Caddyman Dan

New tires are on the car! WOW! what a difference these tire ride like a clould no noise (at least with top up) seem to be very quiet. Also handles like a dream. If your in the market for new tires and if you don't mind running regular tires instead of run flats then check out the Michelins Pilot Super Sports. If you can find them they had 6 in Calf. and shipped my 4 here to PA. I don't think they look as nice as the Goodyear Eagle's that is what I was running, these are more rounded on the edges and look like a racing tire, But that's what makes them handle better to I'm sure. They cost about $280.00 each on the car complete! :rocker:

Caddyman Dan :wave:

Differantial Noise

Recently purchased fluid from Chevy dealer for $22/quart(x2) That was retail without any discounts. Anything above that is markup and labor. Jiffy Lube quoted $55 to replace=$100

I'm NOT a happy camper!

This "Rear-End Noise" seems to be a consistent problem with our cars, and with less than 70,000 miles on my 05, am I looking for a huge bill for clutch/s replacement?

I've changed my diff. fluid recently, without relief of this problem, (and it seems to be getting worse) and before, the prior owner changed it at around 50,000 and without relief of the growling-slipping-catching noise from my rear end area.

Doesn't GM share some responsibility in this flawed defect??

Somebody have some experience with GM??

Unfortunately John they don't care they would rather get the repair money too. Sounds like the clutch packs are going out. I replaced my fluids just to with the new style with the additive. I went to a GM dealer and was only 12 bucks a quart? Nows the time to see if ya wanna put a gear in it. All depends how's the previous owner treated the car good luck.

There's a whole diff carrier Assy. On Craigslist its for a c6 vette it's brand new in the crate has a 2.73 gear for 1600.00 ?

.........................and.......

There's a whole diff carrier Assy. On Craigslist its for a c6 vette it's brand new in the crate has a 2.73 gear for 1600.00 ?

Thanks for the response Stella! DSCN0932.jpg

I wonder what would happen if I just, "Lived with the racket",..after all, it's only in the morning and when I turn hard??

This "Rear-End Noise" seems to be a consistent problem with our cars, and with less than 70,000 miles on my 05, am I looking for a huge bill for clutch/s replacement?

I've changed my diff. fluid recently, without relief of this problem, (and it seems to be getting worse) and before, the prior owner changed it at around 50,000 and without relief of the growling-slipping-catching noise from my rear end area.

Doesn't GM share some responsibility in this flawed defect??

Somebody have some experience with GM??

To find out if the noise you're hearing is really in the diff. or the wheel bearings, turn the Traction Control OFF and make sharp right and left hand turns in a parking lot, forward and backward.
If the noise goes away with the Traction Control OFF, replace the fluid with the new improved fluid. You might have to do this twice to insure you've flushed out all the old fluid.
If the noise is still there with the Traction Control OFF, take a good look at the wheel bearings by jacking up the rear of the car so the wheels are off the ground and with the Engine and Emergency Brake OFF, place your hands at 6 and 12 o'clock on the wheels and try rocking them back and forth and do the same thing at 3 and 9 o'clock.
If either wheel rocks, have someone step on the brake pedal and check the torque of the axle nut. It should be 500 N-m (Metric) or 370 lb ft (English).
Another indication of a loose axle nut is compare the brake pads and make sure their wearing evenly per side. My right rear pads were wearing down twice as much as the left at ~ 25K miles and I found the axle nut was loose enough that I could unscrew it with my fingers! There is no locking mechanism on these axle nuts so I check them every 15 to 20K miles. You'll need a 1 & 5/16 inch deep set socket and a Torque Wrench to set/check these and it's best to have the wheels off the ground and the brakes applied.
This is the first car I've owned that DID NOT have a cotter pin or some other nut locking mechanism on the axles!

I hope this info helps.

ERRORS! ERRORS!

Ever place I mentioned "Axle Nut" should be "drive shaft retaining nut".
The Torque should be 160 N-m (Metric) 118 lb ft.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom