Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Emergency procedures

Cadillac Tech

Seasoned Member
I would encourage all XLR owners to review the emergency procedures in your owners manual for getting in or out of your XLR when there is little or no battery voltage.
There is a door release cable inside the trunk on the driver's side & a door release pull lever by each seat (down next to the door sill plate). Hopefully you will never need them, but it is a good idea to know where they are & how they operate.

May I also suggest you "test" them every once in a while... A quick test on the driver door release proved a broken cable. Obviously my dealership make the necessary repairs, but I'm sure glad I didn't discover the issue after an accident.

JT

I had my battery go dead last week with the car in the garage with the windows up. No juice to open the door. So I tried the key lock in the rear bumper. A few key points: 1. the key lock in the bumper releases the trunk latch not the door latch (which I didn't know at that time and I don't think the owner's manual is clear on this). 2. Opening the trunk lets you get to the manual driver's door release in the trunk on the driver's side. 3. Because the trunk lid is heavy, there is no sound of the lid releasing or moving. So I was turning the lock and thinking nothing had happen. 4. The trunk lid is HEAVY and not counterbalanced so you really need to lift the trunk lid to its full up position with both arms.
After I jumped the battery and was driving the car to the dealership, I found the the Adaptive Cruise Control would not work. Per Bulletin PIC3962B the BCM was not setup properly due to the dead battery and the service tech had to setup the ACC and the BCM. Also don't forget to re-teach the power window up/down positions.

emergency release

I am picking up my XLR this week. You all are true fanatics about these vehicles. It is nice to have the forum to simply read about these issues and ask questions. Good on ya.

I am picking up my XLR this week. You all are true fanatics about these vehicles. It is nice to have the forum to simply read about these issues and ask questions. Good on ya.

If you like the forum, you should join us in person at one of the scheduled get togethers: Biltmore Estates, Corvette HomeComing, Corvette Funfest (BobFest), etc.

I had to get a new key fob from the dealership and boy was I surprised! The master key didn't fit the bumper key cylinder nor the glovebox. Nerver-the-less, it was a good review for me from the various steps found in the manual.

I had to get a new key fob from the dealership and boy was I surprised! The master key didn't fit the bumper key cylinder nor the glovebox. Nerver-the-less, it was a good review for me from the various steps found in the manual.

I check my once in awhile just to keep it working and to check it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Thanks Dan

I would encourage all XLR owners to review the emergency procedures in your owners manual for getting in or out of your XLR when there is little or no battery voltage.
There is a door release cable inside the trunk on the driver's side & a door release pull lever by each seat (down next to the door sill plate). Hopefully you will never need them, but it is a good idea to know where they are & how they operate.

Make sure you or anyone driving your XLR know how to get out if you loose battery power!

Last edited:
That's why everyone that's own these cars need to do these how to steps once in a while for mind refreshment! I will admit I never did the convertible emergency top procedure, but I don't consider that as important as getting into the vehicle, which I check the key & door operation often to work it and check it at the same time!
And always keep the owners manual in the car for directions if needed! You may consider copying the pages and store them in the trunk for direction to where the door pulls are! Have a awesome weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry