Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Arthritis Car Show & Shawshank Redemption Trail - July 5-9

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven, Ebony
At Artomobilia last August, several of us discussed making the Arthritis Foundation Car Show an XLR gathering for 2016. Located just outside of Columbus, Ohio in Dublin, it is a top notch show with 1100 cars last year. A couple of activities discussed was a tour of the Mansfield Correctional Intitution where the Shawshank Redemption was filmed and Malabar Farms. Also nearby is the Ohio Amish country and many excellent roads with great twisties on the way there.
Monday is July 4th, so Tuesday would be a travel day. Tuesday and Wednesday lodging would be the Granville Inn, Granville, Ohio and then move to the Crowne Plaza Dublin on Thursday for the Arthritis Car Show on Friday and Saturday. One option we can look at is to attend the Good Guys PPG Nationals Car show on Friday which is also Columbus that same weekend. We would then attend the Arthritis show on Saturday.

Rooms sold old out by Mid April last year so I wanted to get an early start. Right now I would like to gauge interest and I will provide more details as we get closer.

Rob, if you could make this a sticky, Thanks!
Tim

Info on the Shawshank Trail and tour.
Tours - Mansfied Reformatory Preservation Society

43a88dc66005106f12acafbef7a55d6d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At Artomobilia last August, several of us discussed making the Arthritis Foundation Car Show an XLR gathering for 2016. Located just outside of Columbus, Ohio in Dublin, it is a top notch show with 1100 cars last year. A couple of activities discussed was a tour of the Mansfield Correctional Intitution where the Shawshank Redemption was filmed and Malabar Farms. Also nearby is the Ohio Amish country and many excellent roads with great twisties on the way there.
Monday is July 4th, so Tuesday would be a travel day. Tuesday and Wednesday lodging would be the Granville Inn, Granville, Ohio and then move to the Crowne Plaza Dublin on Thursday for the Arthritis Car Show on Friday and Saturday. One option we can look at is to attend the Good Guys PPG Nationals Car show on Friday which is also Columbus that same weekend. We would then attend the Arthritis show on Saturday.

Rooms sold old out by Mid April last year so I wanted to get an early start. Right now I would like to gauge interest and I will provide more details as we get closer.

Rob, if you could make this a sticky, Thanks!
Tim

Sounds interesting to me. I will have to sort the logistics as we have friends coming from the UK on the 12th! Keep us posted on this possibility!

I'd like to take a straw poll to see who would like to participate in this mid-summer XLR gathering. Please respond yes or maybe. I am going to talk to the Granville Inn this week. Since they have totally refurbished the Inn, the nightly rate is $199, I am hoping to knock it down some to make it more feasible. Hoping to get Amy & Mike, Fireduck, Dan and Wendy and some others from out East. Hoping the MWM group will turn out as they always do. If we get enough folks on Wednesday, I will check into a tour of the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio. I want to have a showing of the Shawshank Redemption on Tuesday night with a tour of the Ohio Penitentiary, Mid-Ohio Race course Wednesday afternoon. Thursday is a tour of Ohio Amish country. Let me know if you think it is a maybe, I would like to get 10 cars for the Wednesday activities.
Tim

Last edited:
I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying.

Supa & I are in for this trip!

From what I am reading the Arthritis Show is Saturday: so we can drive home Sunday..... so yes we are in. We will just have to have our 61 Olds Wagon all ready for Syracuse before we leave for this show. Have you checked that the Good Guys show does allow 'newer' cars? - they don't allow them at Syracuse. As per 'Wednesday" -we would plan to arrive Tuesday then leave Sunday.

It's time to finalize plans for this get together. I checked the Crowne Plaza, Dublin, OH yesterday, and it is sold out for July 7-9 already. We are finding rooms need to be booked for this show earlier each year. Here is the update on plans for the Shawshank Redemption-XLR tour 2016.

Tuesday and Wednesday July 5th &6th.
Location Change - found an excellent B&B in Ohio Amish country. It has a great package that fits our needs perfectly. Located in Danville, Ohio the Standard package is two nights (2 person), breakfast both mornings and Dinner one night - $355. They do have two cabins which are extra $. I talked to Evonne, mention the XLR Group so she knows you are part of this package. 877-908-5923
Amish Country Ohio Bed and Breakfast, Bed Breakfast Danville Ohio
9804115df5615793b5c2c5c5c5aee6b7.jpg

Lodging - Dublin, July 7, 8& 9th. Most folks are staying at the Columbus Marriott Northwest, which is 1.5 miles from the show.

Tuttle Crossing Hotels in Dublin ? Columbus Marriott Northwest

I am finalizing the itinerary and will post in the next few days. Go ahead and book your rooms. Let me know if you are coming by posting here or PM me. I would really like to get 10 XLR's here to central Ohio! Here is a Link to the Arthritis Show.
https://arthglr.ejoinme.org/autoshow

Tim

Last edited:
Supa & I are planning on this trip. I haven't made reservation at the B&B yet.

The Wednesday and Thursday ( Shawshank Tour and Rock & Roll HOF) part of this trip is cancelled due to lack of interest. As this is disappointing, we will still go on with the weekend Arthritis Cruise In and Car Show.

Make your reservation soon as they are already booking up. Here is a link to the Residence Inn.
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/redi...s/travel/cmhcd-residence-inn-columbus-dublin/

Don't forget to register, here is a link for registration for the Cruise In on Friday and the show on Saturday. Choose Class 28 which is the Cadillac Sports Car class with XLR's, XLR-V's and Allante's in the class.

https://arthglr.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/AutoShow2016/2016Classes/tabid/743061/Default.aspx

Tim

Last edited:
All Registered!

I booked my hotel room at the Residence Inn a month or so ago - finally been in town long enough to sit down and register for the show. Plan is to bring the XLR and the CTX Wagon. Devin was disappointed he missed it last year (was out of the country) but is looking forward to it this year. I think Cindy is coming too. Now if only we can find someone for the dogs - I'm sure Jared would be coming as well. We'll make it a family thing. :D REALLY looking forward to seeing all my XLR friends - its been a while. :cool:

Blue Grandma's raring to go...

Hello Friends! Bet you guys thought we fell off the ends of the earth. Nope, happy to say we are well and going fine. We are going to be at the Arthritis Car Show on July 7, 8, & 9th. We are driving the Blue Grandma down with our friends in their Corvette. We already have hotel reservations but let us know where we can meet up `cause we'd love to hang out with you.

Chicago Dave, Nils and anyone else who would like to join us, Fireduck, Cubby, myself and our wives are still doing the B&B, Shawshank Redemption trail on Wednesday & Thursday. It would be great to have other XLRs join us. Here is a tentative itinerary for the week.

Tuesday July 5th - Arrive at B&B in Ohio Amish Country. Dinner - Raven's Glen Winery, Coshocton.

Wednesday July 6th - Tour of Mansfield Reformatory - Location of the Shawshank Redemption filming. Lunch, tour Ohio Amish Country. Dinner - Millersburg Brewery

Thursday July 7th - Group vote here. Choose between Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland or NFL Football Hall of Fame, Canton. Bob, Cubby and anyone else interested in joining us, please reply with your choice. After the HOF tour, drive to Columbus, Check into Hotel.
Dinner - Hofbrauhaus Columbus. (1 of 12 in the world, original in Munich).

Friday - Cruise In. We need to arrive no later than 10AM as there are no designated parking areas, so arriving early means we get the best places to park. Dinner - LaScala's. We had such a great time two years ago, I thought we should do it again.

Saturday - Arthritis Foundation Car Show. Registration 7:30 - 11:00. Judging, 11:30 - 3:30. Award Ceremony - 5:30PM.
Dinner - Please reply with your preference - Steak/Seafood restaurant or Informal/Tavern restaurant.

If anyone is still interested in either part of the trip and is having difficulty with a hotel please PM me. While I was not able to block rooms, I have a few rooms reserved at the Columbus Marriott Northwest.

Tim

Chicago Dave, Nils and anyone else who would like to join us, Fireduck, Cubby, myself and our wives are still doing the B&B, Shawshank Redemption trail on Wednesday & Thursday. It would be great to have other XLRs join us. Here is a tentative itinerary for the week.

Tuesday July 5th - Arrive at B&B in Ohio Amish Country. Dinner - Raven's Glen Winery, Coshocton.

Wednesday July 6th - Tour of Mansfield Reformatory - Location of the Shawshank Redemption filming. Lunch, tour Ohio Amish Country. Dinner - Millersburg Brewery

Thursday July 7th - Group vote here. Choose between Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland or NFL Football Hall of Fame, Canton. Bob, Cubby and anyone else interested in joining us, please reply with your choice. After the HOF tour, drive to Columbus, Check into Hotel.
Dinner - Hofbrauhaus Columbus. (1 of 12 in the world, original in Munich).

Friday - Cruise In. We need to arrive no later than 10AM as there are no designated parking areas, so arriving early means we get the best places to park. Dinner - LaScala's. We had such a great time two years ago, I thought we should do it again.

Saturday - Arthritis Foundation Car Show. Registration 7:30 - 11:00. Judging, 11:30 - 3:30. Award Ceremony - 5:30PM.
Dinner - Please reply with your preference - Steak/Seafood restaurant or Informal/Tavern restaurant.

If anyone is still interested in either part of the trip and is having difficulty with a hotel please PM me. While I was not able to block rooms, I have a few rooms reserved at the Columbus Marriott Northwest.

Tim

Finally I feel like I can actually book this, doing just that today. Hopefully I can get a room at a hotel that has at least one of you at it.

As per the 'vote' Rock & Roll HOF, Dinner Saturday, tend to prefer informal Tavern (just hopefully not too crazy noisy) but good with either choice.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Car Show & Cruise In

Question: do I register for both days, it this the cruise in that we will be attending Friday?

Yes, register both days. The cruise-in is very informal. There is also a Good Guys Grand National car show in town and we get many cars on Friday that attend that show on Saturday.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back