Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof panel separating on an '04

2WheelWrench

My roof panel is separating at the front. I thought that I had seen a repair procedure, with the proper adhesive, but cannot find it now that it's needed. I cannot drive the car with the top up or down; with the top stowed, the hinged 'shelf', above, scratches the separated roof panel because the panel sits higher than it should. As always, I appreciate any advice/guidance you might have.

make sure you notify GM . go by a dealer and have the m give you an estimate to back up your claim. Then report it to the nhtsa . Eventually Gm will have to do something on these roof issues before one blows off and kills a pedestrian. The only way to properly repair it is to remove the outer skin completely . Clean all old adhesive and re-bond it using one of the panel bond products for SMC. Lords. 3m and others make them.
not an easy job. I doubt a dealer will do it for liability issues.

I think that may help a lot of people. Gm has a number of complaints and the lady in Florida whos roof blew off got a lot of news coverage so it should not take many more reports to get a recall started as it is a safety issue. Be sure to tell them yo uare concerned about it flying off and hitting someone.

Yes, I plan to make it as serious as it is!!! I'll post all that I find out... I am the second owner, and the car has only 89K miles...very disappointing to say the least!

Hi
This is just info to consider ................

Would GM actually conduct a recall to fix an issue on a car with the newest version now approaching ten years of age, even if there is a failure history ? And even at 75 documented failures (have there been that many? ) that wouldn't be even 1 % of the total production run.

A safety issue??

Well, talk about a SIGNIFICANT safety issue.......Remember the Phase I and II '87 to '92 Allante and the failure rate issue with the BOSCH III brake system ? The BOSCH III system was a SUPERB, state of the art braking system, however, it required a specific maintenance schedule which often was ignored. What resulted was many brake system failures and resulting property damage. GM never recalled those and the issue was WELL documented. The percentage of Brake system failures well exceeded the roof failure rate on the XLR.

Bill

Hi
This is just info to consider ................

Would GM actually conduct a recall to fix an issue on a car with the newest version now approaching ten years of age, even if there is a failure history ? And even at 75 documented failures (have there been that many? ) that wouldn't be even 1 % of the total production run.

A safety issue??

Well, talk about a SIGNIFICANT safety issue.......Remember the Phase I and II '87 to '92 Allante and the failure rate issue with the BOSCH III brake system ? The BOSCH III system was a SUPERB, state of the art braking system, however, it required a specific maintenance schedule which often was ignored. What resulted was many brake system failures and resulting property damage. GM never recalled those and the issue was WELL documented. The percentage of Brake system failures well exceeded the roof failure rate on the XLR.

Bill

I would hope the difference for us would be that there is no “maintenance schedule” to keep the roof from blowing off. For the Bosch III brakes, GM could get away with saying it’s the owner’s fault for not following the maintenance requirements.

The roof issue definitely seems to be a manufacturing defect since so far it primarily appears to affect the ‘04-‘05 model years, as the only other year I think I’ve seen mentioned on here was one ‘06. So they must have changed adhesives for later models. My dealer has told me they are “aware” of the issue (which makes me think GM is putting out some kind of info on it) & they check our roofs, though I’m not sure I believe that last part as I don’t know what could be “checked.”

Someone else can probably better weigh in on this, but I seem to remember mention of some Corvette removable roofs also having this problem. That would be our best “hook” to get a solution, if there were a recall for those & XLR’s got tacked on.

I will say this glue issue makes me wonder about the durability of current manufacturing processes that are gluing together structural parts throughout the car to save weight. :ugh:

anything that flies off of a car and that can hit another car is defiantly a safety issue. A failure on a structural part could cost them some serious money say a car rolls over the top pops off and they hire an expert to confirm had the top not popped off the occupant would still be alive. Major liability issue here. the front radiator supports on the 04 and 05 are also bonded and I have seen a lot of them that hold the hood latch down also coming loose from the adhesive. Structural adhesives have been around since the early 70"s and have had an excellent history of no failures when applied properly . The corvettes had an issue also . we will need to watch as there are more than a few of them. By the way 3 small fires had ford recall 3/4 of a million vehicles so the % does not have to be high.

I will maintain that the high rate of brake failures in the Phase I and II Allante is/ was well documented and is all over the inter-web and GM was well aware of the matter while the system was still in production, and being installed in cars. They only moved to the more standard system in '93 as a cost saving measure. (it was not about safety; safety was a side benefit). They had been hemorrhaging millions and millions of dollars on the Allante endeavor and decided in early '93 to ax the Allante program, that the '93 model year would be the end. Yes, there had been an updated '94 model in the wings but the cost over runs could not be justified. They also needed a low production "test mule" in which to roll out the North-star engine and the Allante was it. Yes, they did also cut back in multiple areas (audio, seating, electrical, suspension) in the '93 model year in an effort to stave off further losses, but it was too little too late. GM does operate for profit. The Allante was too costly to continue.

Sorry, going a bit off topic. Bottom line is GM counts dollars and profit and until there is a significant cost to them, they will adhere to the corporate bottom line. As much as it is not a popular take, mine is, GM will not do doing anything about the hard top skin adhesion failure matter. Hope I am wrong.

Bill

Last edited:
My roof panel is separating at the front. I thought that I had seen a repair procedure, with the proper adhesive, but cannot find it now that it's needed. I cannot drive the car with the top up or down; with the top stowed, the hinged 'shelf', above, scratches the separated roof panel because the panel sits higher than it should. As always, I appreciate any advice/guidance you might have.

We sincerely regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your roof panel, 2WheelWrench. We realized that you are seeking advice from other forum members. However, if you would like to have an additional layer of assistance with your certified dealership, we’d be happy to ensure that all options of assistance have been explored on your behalf. So that we may do so, e-mail us at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN: Cadillac/2WheelWrenc” in the subject line. Please be sure to include your full contact information, VIN, the mileage of your vehicle, and your preferred dealership so that we may best assist.

To review GM's privacy policy, please visit the link below:
Privacy Statement | General Motors.

Jenifer J.

We sincerely regret to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your roof panel, 2WheelWrench. We realized that you are seeking advice from other forum members. However, if you would like to have an additional layer of assistance with your certified dealership, we’d be happy to ensure that all options of assistance have been explored on your behalf. So that we may do so, e-mail us at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN: Cadillac/2WheelWrenc” in the subject line. Please be sure to include your full contact information, VIN, the mileage of your vehicle, and your preferred dealership so that we may best assist.

To review GM's privacy policy, please visit the link below:
Privacy Statement | General Motors.

Jenifer J.

Thanks for posting Jenifer .................. 2WheelWrench,, Be sure to stop back and tell us "how" this all worked out with GM assist. Thank you in advance, p z

Hi, 2WheelWrench. It’s been a few days, and I wanted to take a moment to follow up with you again. As mentioned, our team would be happy to work alongside your dealership to ensure that this concern with your roof panel is addressed. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com with either “ATTN: Cadillac/2WheelWrench” or “ATTN: Jenifer J.” in the subject line. Thank you.

Jenifer J.

GM has promised to repair/replace the panel/top. It appears that once the dealership (Claude Nolan, in Jacksonville, FL) receives the "part", they will fix it. I was about to take it to them this past Tuesday, but the dealership could not/would not provide a loaner, as promised by GM. Thanks to everyone involved for getting the word out!!

they must have been working on this for a while. The top panel needed was discontinued back about 6 months ago. There were none I nthe states. Now there seems to be around 40-50 of the mall over .SO at least they will take care of it for everyone

I have the experienced the roof skin separationpersonally. I was driving about 70 when it happened. I am at acomplete loss of what to do. Chevy/GM/Cadillac quoted me over $3,800.00 toreplace, and were quite dismissive of the issue. They stated they had neverheard of such a thing.
I also called Cadillac corporate and spoke with someonewho also stated they were “unaware” of the issue and “apologized”. He sent me a$100.00 credit to use towards my next service… What? I cant even drive the carwith the top up.
This is an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS issue with this car. It isgoing to get someone seriously injured or killed.
I am interested to know how 2WheelWrench went aboutgetting assistance and how his repair ends up. Please keep us/me posted.

Car loses roof on interstate without warning, it's not the first time | firstcoastnews.com

I have the experienced the roof skin separationpersonally. I was driving about 70 when it happened. I am at acomplete loss of what to do. Chevy/GM/Cadillac quoted me over $3,800.00 toreplace, and were quite dismissive of the issue. They stated they had neverheard of such a thing.
I also called Cadillac corporate and spoke with someonewho also stated they were “unaware” of the issue and “apologized”. He sent me a$100.00 credit to use towards my next service… What? I cant even drive the carwith the top up.
This is an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS issue with this car. It isgoing to get someone seriously injured or killed.
I am interested to know how 2WheelWrench went aboutgetting assistance and how his repair ends up. Please keep us/me posted.

Car loses roof on interstate without warning, it's not the first time | firstcoastnews.com

I call shenanigans on the dealer being “unaware” - willful blindness is more like it. When I mentioned this stuff to my dealer a while back, they said they were aware of that issue & that they check our XLR’s out for it when we bring them in. Unfortunately, corporate knowledge depends on who answers the phone ...

if they warranty it the total cost will be more like 2200. the part list for about 1200 body shop time to paint and install ls 6 hours plus or minus on the color so all In 2000-2200 I have done several for friends for material and repaired them properly in a couple hours . If caught before they fly off you do not have to repaint. I have looked at 06 and up and they use a different bonding material. So problem solved. Might also want to check were your hood latch panel bonds on the corners to the side fender aprons. Those are also a "known" issue. This dealer sounds like they don't get much sunshine were they are.

Time for GM to FIX this possible issue,,,

Beaker,, Sorry to hear of your experience, but you need to get into the battle with GM/CADILLAC corporate officials to get this horrible issue corrected immediately.

Maybe contact Mr. Brad Yates (XLR owner) and follow his efforts to get this done. If you can't locate him, ask the people at www.firstcoastnews DOT com for assisting you to contact him..... they wrote the story you provided in your post. I want to thank you for posting that link to the story on Mr. Yates and Francesca Giannini ,,, whose Cadillac XLRs lost their top roof panels. I was aware of the problem reading this forum for several years, but there must be many owners who are not aware of this dangerous, possible event.

Before somebody is killed, seriously hurt, or a bad accident may be caused by this issue, IMO site Administrator Rob should make this a priority 'STICKY' in the forums that members here read most.

'Car [XLR] loses roof on interstate without warning, it's not the first time'

ALL forum members and guests should read this news article to be aware of a possible, serious XLR safety issue:

** https://www. firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/car-loses-roof-on-interstate-without-warning-its-not-the-first-time/77-baf17602-8d70-4f2c-9790-94db700a1c4b

** I purposely left spaces in the link so it shows up more prominently - take out the spaces, copy and paste into browser window to direct you to the article.

I hope this article explaining the XLR roof top panel issue will help other owners who may have the same unexpected problem, or those unaware of this issue.

p z

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry