Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HELP

Phil105

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR base
Looking to return to the XLR fold again after several years. Considering a 2007 base with 60,000 miles. What major issues should I be concerned with? Don't want to get back into a money pit but sure do love these cars. Headlights look really good, so other than breaking and requiring finding one/some I'm good there. Appreciate any input you guys can offer. My major concerns are top mechanism and electronics.

I have a 2007--- when purchased in 2016, it had 28,000 miles. Three concerns surfaced, as follows: a weird sounding whining sound, at times-- audible with top down-- was the serpentine (original equipment ) belt, occasion hard downshift into first gear in slow moving traffic -- changed transmission fluid to updated chemistry, and very occasionally, an odd roughness/ clunk when parking-- new differential (more slippery) fluid fixed that. I had all the fluids changed -- as I suspect they all age out, pick up moisture. Hope this helps, and I'm certain Phil has a much more comprehensive set of concerns, so please do few his early posts. James

Phil, go back and look at my previous postings about my travails with a Cad dealer last year
HA - - thanks Rexster - - you brought back memories of why I sold mine earlier. Now looking to maybe get back in the game. Hoping somebody will convince me I'm not insane!!!

Phil, the XLR is something very special--- my suggestion, purchase the best, low mileage one you can afford, but you already know that--- so valuing the experience of owning and driving the car is truly the "big deal." In my opinion, I never tire of driving the car and looking at it, and admiring the car as a work of automotive art.

Phil, the XLR is something very special--- my suggestion, purchase the best, low mileage one you can afford, but you already know that--- so valuing the experience of owning and driving the car is truly the "big deal." In my opinion, I never tire of driving the car and looking at it, and admiring the car as a work of automotive art.

rexster....I've read about your travels with that Cadillac dealer....I don't know your history with your car but did you just have a bunch of bad luck or did you buy a car that was high mileage or maybe not taken care of....I can see how you would look at this as a bad dream at times....thanks for any comments....

Looking to return to the XLR fold again after several years. Considering a 2007 base with 60,000 miles. What major issues should I be concerned with? Don't want to get back into a money pit but sure do love these cars. Headlights look really good, so other than breaking and requiring finding one/some I'm good there. Appreciate any input you guys can offer. My major concerns are top mechanism and electronics.
Phil, I think I remember when you were on before and you had a good looking XLR with different wheels if my memory serves me right. When I bought my 06 Base with 89,000 miles I had no idea these cars could be so much trouble. Well I've had no trouble with this car and have had it nine years. Two years ago I got an 07 V. So far so good. I am not sure why I bought it other than I like the car. So if I was you and liked the car I'd step up.
John f.

Phil, I think I remember when you were on before and you had a good looking XLR with different wheels if my memory serves me right. When I bought my 06 Base with 89,000 miles I had no idea these cars could be so much trouble. Well I've had no trouble with this car and have had it nine years. Two years ago I got an 07 V. So far so good. I am not sure why I bought it other than I like the car. So if I was you and liked the car I'd step up.
John f.

John f.
Hi John. Yes, I had one and really liked the car but I let all the naysayers scare me off with stories of maintenance costs!
Never have gotten the car out of my system and have run across a really clean 06 base with 60K miles and priced right i think. Just looking for some inspiration from you owners. Thank you. Just may "step up" this weekend!

Thanks James. Just don't want a piece of art that costs continually to look at!!

check the headlights very carefully. at least the 06 no longer has the suspension module failure but the headlights on 06 do have a problem with the lens blowing off. you can tell if they are sealed all around the edge pretty easy. any change in color of the grayish green reinforcement means the seal is broken and they can get air and blow off.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom