Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! ‘08 trunk closing on its own

DB2

After reading some posts here I had the trunk lift support strips replaced (actually, I let the mechanic suggest the repair knowing from reading here that the support struts might be the cause). Well, the trunk closed on me today and continues to close immediately after opening. It was working fine following the repair. Yesterday I programmed a new key fob and I’m wondering if turning the key in that slot on the back bumper may have programmed something making trunk close? I ask this because I had some difficulty programming the fob and attempted the programming several times. Can anyone suggest what the issue may be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FOB Keys

Hi DB2……

If the car battery is weak it could send some poor energy to the modules, that is happening very often.

The FOB keys that you programmed, are they new ones and is the replacement parts are for the XLR, if so, is the batteries for the FOB keys are new.

Find enclosed copies of how to program the FOB keys in case that you do not have an owner manual and check your programmations steps made in order to confirm your work.

Good luck. ( cool photo )

IAN :wave:[SUB][SUP]<strike>
</strike>[/SUP][/SUB]

keyless1.jpg
<strike></strike><strike></strike>
keyless2.jpgkeyless3.jpgkeyless4.jpg

in answer to part of your question. the key slot In the bumper is a mechanical cable release and just unlocks the trunk when there is loss of electrical power to the car.. It should not have anything to do with the hydraulic opening and closing of the trunk.

Ian,

I successfully programmed the new fob (it was new, but looks exactly like my old one). I purchased it on EBay and it came in a GM package. The battery in the fob was new.

I’ll check into the car battery as potential reason for trunk closing. Thanks for the tip.

Debbie

LTS,

You are incorrect. If your battery is good and you place the key in the rear slot and turn it and hold for a second, the trunk will open. Also when you are programming fobs, you have to turn the key five times quickly to get into program mode and on the fifth turn the trunk will open. There is an electrical as well as a mechanical connection.

in answer to part of your question. the key slot In the bumper is a mechanical cable release and just unlocks the trunk when there is loss of electrical power to the car.. It should not have anything to do with the hydraulic opening and closing of the trunk.

I would bet that you have a bad switch in the trunk release latching assembly. I had similar problem that the truck lid would open a couple of inches and then close no matter how I opened it. Replacing the latch assembly fixed it.

Fireduck69,

My trunk is opening completely but closed as soon as it reaches the fully open position. I will mention this possibility to the mechanic though I already replaced the lift struts (I think that’s what they are called) and hope to diagnose problem without replacing things until he gets it right, but maybe that’s how these things are diagnosed. Thanks for the input.

LTS,

You are incorrect. If your battery is good and you place the key in the rear slot and turn it and hold for a second, the trunk will open. Also when you are programming fobs, you have to turn the key five times quickly to get into program mode and on the fifth turn the trunk will open. There is an electrical as well as a mechanical connection.
well its only a cable that mounts to a different part of the lock to release it. I did not say it would not open the trunk. I said it would not affect the system. It manually moves the lock where the solenoid is attached. Please let me know how that is going to cause the trunk to close??? she was asking to see if by opening the trunk wit the key did she change or damage anything . I said no. Let me know how that causes anything to be damaged. We bot h know that with no power it just pops the trunk and you have to manually open it if there is power it is supposed to open it just like the key fob if its adjusted properly and the latch works. I don't think her latch is working properly on the electronic side. But if you know a way you can damage the latch by using the key slot with power , let me know . I would like to check that out. I don't think either of us is wrong .Just looking at it in two different ways.

Last edited:
Long Tall Sally,

My understanding of what any kind of latch is, is that it houses say a male part to keep something closed or open. So, when you suggest it may be my latch that is causing the trunk to close does this mean there is both a latch for the trunk to stay open? Certainly, I understand there is a latch in the closed position (I heard and felt it pop when I programmed my fob) but I thought the lift struts sort of lock when trunk is open, no?

Lid openig with a dead battery and a FOB progammed.

Cubby.

Your argument is fine for progamming a FOB transmitter, Sally argument is also fine for an XLR with a dead car battery.

No power on the XLR…. the hydraulic system can not work, opening the lid manually is not easy when it unlatch, a certain energy is need to lift the stiff lid, I had this experience in the past.

Thanks for your opinion.

IAN :thumbsup

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry