Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

04-08 Console dents

rwd

Virtually every XLR I've seen has numerous dents on the console, particularly rearward of the transmission selector lever. Some are largish, but others are so tiny as to render the cause mysterious. Even the techs I've talked to are unclear as to the source.

1) Anybody know what causes them?

2) Anybody had the console fascia replaced under warranty?

It's thought the seat belt clasp hits that area as the driver pulls the belt across his chest. Care should be taken when pulling the belt from it's recepticle on it's way to latch into the receiving latch.

I doubt the warranty would cover it.

Floyd (BB)

I've noticed that too, especially while shopping for mine. To be honest I was appalled how poorly maintained some of these had been kept, and how some dealers still pull stories out their arse spur of the moment to cover defects I would notice. Anyhow, no clue what causes the dents.
Bruce

Has any body repaired these? I have a few and was going to pull of the trim and fix it from the inside. Anybody do something like that? Ill see if I can put up a before and after shot....but give me some time. lol

I saw my trim when they had the console off when they where trying to stop the 144 degree heat from the console on my 04 and this trim is thinner than a can of Budweiser and I think you would have a loosing battle trying to pop those dimples out.
If you could match the wood I would go with the wood trim kit, but my 06 has that special Zingana wood color that's only on the V's and I haven't found that anywhere on the Internet.

I do have a question: My knob on the shifter is loose and was wondering how to pop the leather side pieces to maybe tighten a nut or screw.............any help Bruce?
Has any body repaired these? I have a few and was going to pull of the trim and fix it from the inside. Anybody do something like that? Ill see if I can put up a before and after shot....but give me some time. lol

Bruce, I told you how the dents were made. . .:pat:

Floyd (BB)
My dents are on the flat portion near the shift lever. Maybe what you suggest is correct, but seems quite far from where they should be trying to buckle in.
Bruce

When we first got Lola, the console door needed a 2nd push to close ... we thought that was the nature of the beast ...... but when we took her in for a totally unrelated issue, our service writer noticed it and they replaced the whole console (under warranty) ..... which was nice because we had a dimple just driver side. Looked like someone may have dropped - like a cell phone, or something on it.

My dents are on the flat portion near the shift lever. Maybe what you suggest is correct, but seems quite far from where they should be trying to buckle in.
Bruce

The dents are usually made by people dropping things on them (like keys/key fobs). Some are scratched or dented by people taking their dogs along for the ride. I have been able to repair some of the dents, but it is hard to make it look right. It depends where the dents are located.

Bruce :wave:

I saw my trim when they had the console off when they where trying to stop the 144 degree heat from the console on my 04 and this trim is thinner than a can of Budweiser and I think you would have a loosing battle trying to pop those dimples out.
If you could match the wood I would go with the wood trim kit, but my 06 has that special Zingana wood color that's only on the V's and I haven't found that anywhere on the Internet.

I do have a question: My knob on the shifter is loose and was wondering how to pop the leather side pieces to maybe tighten a nut or screw.............any help Bruce?

Don't pop the leather sides off. Pry the ring on the bottom of the shift knob off (by pushing it towards the console with a flat bladed screwdriver- DON'T DENT ANYTHING! ;)). There is a little Torx screw under the trim ring - tighten it, and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the replies. To be clear, I'm not trying to start a fire or complain about the car. I'm just looking for solutions to a problem.

I'm sure some of the damage may be caused by the belts, but a number of the dents are so small that they look like it would have taken something more pointed than the seatbelt tab to inflict. Keys could do some of it, no question, but the damage is pretty widespread, especially considering it is a keyless car.

I don't know whether the '09 console is equally vulnerable (or substitutable), but I would have hoped the problem would have been corrected earlier in the game. Arguably, the material may have been in some way under-spec'd.

After all, it's not as if the seating position is significantly different from a C5/C6 Corvette, and I can't say I've seen anything similar on any Corvette.

I've seen several posts where GM has covered the damage, and if anybody body has had that done under warranty I'd appreciate hearing from them.

I also wonder if, failing that, a paintless dent removal place would be able to straighten the situation out. One person did suggest using a wood trim kit, but I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks for the replies. To be clear, I'm not trying to start a fire or complain about the car. I'm just looking for solutions to a problem.

I'm sure some of the damage may be caused by the belts, but a number of the dents are so small that they look like it would have taken something more pointed than the seatbelt tab to inflict. Keys could do some of it, no question, but the damage is pretty widespread, especially considering it is a keyless car.

I don't know whether the '09 console is equally vulnerable (or substitutable), but I would have hoped the problem would have been corrected earlier in the game. Arguably, the material may have been in some way under-spec'd.

After all, it's not as if the seating position is significantly different from a C5/C6 Corvette, and I can't say I've seen anything similar on any Corvette.

I've seen several posts where GM has covered the damage, and if anybody body has had that done under warranty I'd appreciate hearing from them.

I also wonder if, failing that, a paintless dent removal place would be able to straighten the situation out. One person did suggest using a wood trim kit, but I'm not familiar with them.

Even though the car is keyless, people tend to put their fob and keys in one of the cup holders. The metal that covers the console is quite thin and is not in the Corvette,only in the XLR.

Got it! the tork screw was loose, just tightened and slid the trim ring back up until it snapped in place
Thanks to you and a PM from Bruce all is well.:patriot:
Don't pop the leather sides off. Pry the ring on the bottom of the shift knob off (by pushing it towards the console with a flat bladed screwdriver- DON'T DENT ANYTHING! ;)). There is a little Torx screw under the trim ring - tighten it, and you should be good to go.

Wouldn't you know... just this afternoon I dropped something on my console and it created a large noticeable dent on it... dammit.

Anyone know the p/n of the center console cover and how much it costs?

Wouldn't you know... just this afternoon I dropped something on my console and it created a large noticeable dent on it... dammit.

Anyone know the p/n of the center console cover and how much it costs?

Do you have light or dark wood?

I will check on your console.

part # 25785713. $650.00 + tax, my cost. It lists for $992.00.

Bruce

I will check on your console.

part # 25785713. $650.00 + tax, my cost. It lists for $992.00.

Bruce

Ouch - that is one expensive mistake! damn!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom