Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2012 Texas Mile - Beeville, Tx 26-28 Oct.

Moved it up a day. Will be there when the gates open on Thursday. That gives me time to get registered and a full day on Friday to check things out when hopefully things will not be so busy.

Moved it up a day. Will be there when the gates open on Thursday. That gives me time to get registered and a full day on Friday to check things out when hopefully things will not be so busy.

Changed my schedule, too. I'll be getting there sometime Thursday evening.

Hey Lonestar XLR and WB6BBZ, when do you plan on getting to the complex? What's your schedule for the weekend?

I'm monitoring messages on four different forums trying to get this all together - frustrating, but fun.

Hey Lonestar XLR and WB6BBZ, when do you plan on getting to the complex? What's your schedule for the weekend?

I'm monitoring messages on four different forums trying to get this all together - frustrating, but fun.

I plan on being there (Beeville) no later than noon on Thursday, 10-25-12 and check into the hotel in Corpus Christi about 3 PM.

I plan on being there (Beeville) no later than noon on Thursday, 10-25-12 and check into the hotel in Corpus Christi about 3 PM.

Admission: Gates don't open until 3PM. Spectator 3-day pass is $15. You must wear your wrist band on your left or right wrist. Your wristband is good for all three days, so make sure you keep it on if you plan to return to the track all three days otherwise you will be required to pay the entry fee again.

Parking: The staff will try to park you with the rest of the spectators (the large concrete area in front of the big wooden hanger) - just tell them you are part of the pit crew for Team ELWOOD and start looking for the Cadillac Racing Banners.

Viewing areas: You can find a spot on the pit side of the paddock to set-up chairs. Just ask the participants in the area what would be a space that would not block them. There are three designated spectator tents and a couple areas on the taxiway turnoffs for photographers. DO NOT PROCEED PAST THE SAFETY CONES.

Restricted Areas: The large center grass area that separates the paddock from the course. Hot staging area. The course. Beyond the cones in the paddock. In or around the buildings. The active runways and airplane pad. All other areas not being used by the event.

Spectator Overnight fee: per motor home/camper etc., in addition to spectator fee: $50 per night. There are no facilities for electricity or water. Please register your motorhome/camper with Jessica at 281-303-1844 or info@texasmile.net. All spectators spending the night at the track must have OVERNIGHT wristbands as well as a window credential for their motor home/camper. All those found without this credential will be asked to leave and come back in the morning. These credentials can be picked up at the white registration tent upon arrival to the track.

Concessions: Sold onsite: Reasonably priced & great food and drinks. No alcoholic beverages sold onsite. Do not bring in Bar-B-Q pits (There will be gas/electric grills brought by the a couple of the racing participants in the Cadillac Corral). NO GLASS BOTTLES/CONTAINERS. NO ALCOHOL IN GRID AND TECH AREA.

Hey Giz, since you didn't respond to my last pm I thought I was on your ignore list! :laugh:

I'm still planning to attend for at least one day. My schedule will dictate when, how long, and where I'll be staying. If I end up not bringing the coach I have friends in Rockport that I can stay with.

Hopefully my schedule will firm up in the next few days and the weather will co-operate for a fast, dry event for the entrants.

Hey Giz, since you didn't respond to my last pm I thought I was on your ignore list! :laugh:

I'm still planning to attend for at least one day. My schedule will dictate when, how long, and where I'll be staying. If I end up not bringing the coach I have friends in Rockport that I can stay with.

Hopefully my schedule will firm up in the next few days and the weather will co-operate for a fast, dry event for the entrants.

No! I wouldn't dare ignore you! I was just waiting for your plans to firm up some more before replying. We would be glad to have you for whatever amount of time you want to come out.

Hadn't started thinking about weather, yet, still too early for a reliable forecast. It was T-shirts and shorts weather down there in March.

Hey Steve,

For my Fire Extinguisher bracket, I found there is a tight, but open gap in the door handle just above the carbon fiber accent piece. The opening is just under 3.5" long, but it goes completely through the handle. This is what my bracket looks like:

I used a short piece of 14guage stainless and had my local metal shop make the two bends. The two screws to attach the extinguisher mount go into the face and I have 3/8 clearance to the armrest that I will fill with foam and wrap in leather. There is a screw in the top that goes behind the handle that holds it all in place.

When its done, the bottom of the extinguisher will be at a 45 degree angle facing the floorboard, rest on the seat, and bolted to the door. I figure the seat will take some of the pressure off the bracket, make it a tighter, more stable fitment, and keep everything from rattling or stressing the door handle. More pics coming.

No! I wouldn't dare ignore you! I was just waiting for your plans to firm up some more before replying. We would be glad to have you for whatever amount of time you want to come out.

Hadn't started thinking about weather, yet, still too early for a reliable forecast. It was T-shirts and shorts weather down there in March.

Two weeks to go. So far we are still in the 80's unless a front comes through to cool things off. The last one did not bring any rain with is so we can hope is stays that way. The fronts usually come through quickly this time of year so we could get one wet day and then some really good weather afterward.

I did the houston half mile back in may... it was fun

You'll most certainly hit the limiter... I was on my way on just a 1/2 mile run and I was barely in 3rd gear

Richard, why don't you come down and join us for at least one day? I had the limiter removed when Jesse did my tune last month so that should make it even more interesting. Should be a fun event!

Two weeks to go. So far we are still in the 80's unless a front comes through to cool things off. The last one did not bring any rain with is so we can hope is stays that way. The fronts usually come through quickly this time of year so we could get one wet day and then some really good weather afterward.

Last week we had a couple of days in the 40's with 2" of rain here in the Highland Lakes area of Central Texas. Of course this isn't South Texas but as they say, if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes and it'll change. :cool:

We used to race @ Edinburg this time of year and normally the weather wasn't an issue. South Texas is as good a bet as there is for hosting this type of event in October.

I just checked AccuWeather.com and it predicts sunny and in the high 70s from the 24th through the 29th BUT there may be morning showers on the 27th. I hope that dosen't happen, the last LSR at El Mirage Dry Lake here in CA. got cancelled because the lake wasn't dry! My neighbor and I were going up there as it's only about an hour and a half drive from my place.

See you all in Beeville later this month.

I just checked AccuWeather.com and it predicts sunny and in the high 70s from the 24th through the 29th BUT there may be morning showers on the 27th. I hope that dosen't happen, the last LSR at El Mirage Dry Lake here in CA. got cancelled because the lake wasn't dry! My neighbor and I were going up there as it's only about an hour and a half drive from my place.

See you all in Beeville later this month.

If Texas Mile is anything like Ohio Mile, when we got rained on in April, they sent a call out on the PA for any and every available vehicle to parade up and down the airstrip to dry it off. We had almost 100 cars criusing the airstrip for 1/2 hr after the rain, dried the track surface fast and we were back to racing an hour after the rain stopped.

Weather looks good so far. This time of the year we usually get one day of rain and then a few days of really good cool weather. Right now the fronts are coming through about one per week with the next one around Wednesday so that would clear everything out for later in the week if that pattern continues.

Got my helmet, gloves and fire extinguisher yesterday. Pulled the center storage out and making a plate to mount the extinguisher between the seats this weekend. Just waiting on my numbers "360", Had to pick something that was not already spoken for.....not that I want to do one or more on the track! Jack, I tried to get "73", but someone already got that one for their '73 model Chevy.

I used a short piece of 14guage stainless and had my local metal shop make the two bends. The two screws to attach the extinguisher mount go into the face and I have 3/8 clearance to the armrest that I will fill with foam and wrap in leather. There is a screw in the top that goes behind the handle that holds it all in place.

When its done, the bottom of the extinguisher will be at a 45 degree angle facing the floorboard, rest on the seat, and bolted to the door. I figure the seat will take some of the pressure off the bracket, make it a tighter, more stable fitment, and keep everything from rattling or stressing the door handle. More pics coming.

More on the extinguisher mount:
Parts list: 1 WalMart 2.5lb Fire extinguisher, 3 sheet metal screws, 1 PVC scrap, 1 14G stainless sheet, 1/4" padding

When the door handle side is put together, looks like this:

And the extinguisher holder added:

On the door (you can almost see the padding along the front and top to protect the wood):

Completely assembled and installed:

This was super simple to build. Few parts, and its rock solid. Getting to it is easy and its smooth and quick to release and use.

Good job Giz, sure hope you don't have to use it!

Weather looks good so far. This time of the year we usually get one day of rain and then a few days of really good cool weather. Right now the fronts are coming through about one per week with the next one around Wednesday so that would clear everything out for later in the week if that pattern continues.

Got my helmet, gloves and fire extinguisher yesterday. Pulled the center storage out and making a plate to mount the extinguisher between the seats this weekend. Just waiting on my numbers "360", Had to pick something that was not already spoken for.....not that I want to do one or more on the track! Jack, I tried to get "73", but someone already got that one for their '73 model Chevy.

To bad they won't let you use "73s" as we actually say.

The Texas Mile Event Schedule October 26-28, 2012​

Thursday, October 25, 2012

3:00 PM Participants can enter Chase Field Industrial Complex to set up paddock space
3:00 PM -7:30 or Dusk, Driver/ Rider Check in and Tech
Drivers Meeting: 7:00 PM (Mandatory for those participants who wish to run first thing Friday morning)​
Friday, October 26, 2012
7:30 AM- Driver/ Rider Check in and Tech Open​
8:00 AM- 5:00 PM Track Open, Competition Runs Begin
7:45 AM: Spectator Gate Opens: Tickets are $15 per person /Children 12 and under are admitted free/ All Tickets are 3 day Passes
8:15 AM: Driver/Rider Mandatory Meeting Inside tent next to Registration
12:00 AM-1:00 PM: Lunch
12:00 PM- Driver/Rider Mandatory Meeting (Come prepared for course drive through)
6:00 PM- Driver/Rider Mandatory Meeting (Come prepared for course drive through)
Dusk- Registration and Tech Close
** Competition runs could be extended beyond 5:00PM based on the events of the day.
Saturday, October 27, 2012
7:30 AM- Driver/ Rider Check In and Tech
7:45 AM: Spectator Gate Opens: Tickets are $15 per person /Children 12 and under are admitted free
8:00 AM- Dusk: Track Opens, Competition Runs Begin
8:15 AM: Driver/Rider Mandatory Meeting Inside tent next to Registration
12:00PM-1:00 PM: Lunch
12:00PM: Driver/Rider Mandatory Meeting (Come prepared for course drive through)
7:00 PM: Registration and Tech Close
*** Drive or Ride to town to enjoy "Around the Town Saturday Night!" with your family and friends. There will be great Food and drink specials for all Texas Mile Participants and Fans to Enjoy! Details COMING SOON!
Sunday October 28, 2012

7:30 AM: Driver/Rider Check-in, Tech​
Time to be announced: Worship Service conducted by Christian Motorcycle Association
7:45 AM: Spectator Gate Opens: Tickets are $15 per person /Children 12 and under are admitted free
8:00 AM- 4:00 PM : Track Opens, Competition Runs
8:00 AM: New Driver/Rider Meeting Inside tent next to Registration
12:00 PM- 1:00 PM: Lunch
4:00 PM- Hope you had a wonderful time.

Good job Giz, sure hope you don't have to use it!

I'm not sure when they expect you to use that thing. If the car is stopped I'll be running away from it, not fighting a fire with a 2 lb fire extinguisher! If I'm going 150 and the car is on fire, I'll probably never get the opportunity to use it either.

This was super simple to build. Few parts, and its rock solid. Getting to it is easy and its smooth and quick to release and use.

I can really appreciate the ingenuity to do this - it actually looks pretty good for a DIY job...

I'm curious - why didn't you just go with the Brey Krause R-2115 fire extinquisher mount for the C6 corvette? Its a direct bolt-on part.

Here's a photo of it in my XLR-V:

QUDmqRjKT1299Qu3DaiUcg.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry