Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Added Compass Mirror to XLR

Hawk58

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
My 2006 XLR did not come with an internal compass window within the rear view mirror like my other cars. Since there are many times I do not use the Nav system but want a quick reference to the cardinal direction, I added a new mirrior to my XLR. Solution, the 05-12 C6 corvette uses the same mirror as the XLR and has a model with the internal compass window. After researching the cost of a new C6 mirror, I opted to find a good used one on ebay. With the mirror in hand the swap took about 15 minutes and works great and is an easy DIY project. All plug and play and no special tools needed. Enjoy

Attachments

• C750 pics 048.jpg
    C750 pics 048.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,653
If so,.....do you have the GM # so's I can start looking for mine!? :cool:

My parts book is out of date, but I think this is the number 15911603, so verify before you buy. I got a good used one on ebay just search for 05-12 C6 rearview mirror. There's usually 1-2 for sale.

$200 Bucks for a Compass?

(Pep Boys has the BIG One for $9.95,.........HA!)

:D

Sure thing John, that's why it's called "CUSTOM". BTW, I didn't pay 200 for mine. I saw one on ebay for only $39.00 might be in your budget. :wave:

That's great. Now if you could find one with the LCD display for a rear camera.......

I like the idea of the back up camera. We have one in my hubbys GM silverado Pick up truck. Super handy for trailer hook up and making sure you are in the garage far enough so the door clears, I just pop it into reverse before park to check I can clearly see the garage door tracks! I am not planning on hooking my XLR to a trailer, but I am sure paranoid about backing into something. :bawling: Especially cautious backing up at night with the top up: with the double vision between the windrestrictor and rear window adding to the difficulty.

So I wonder, other than adding a camera, would the GM Silverado mirror also be 'plug and play"? Does anyone know how the screen receives the signal? Would it have to be hard wired or is it wireless? :dunno: You got me thinking Fred!

I like the idea of the back up camera. We have one in my hubbys GM silverado Pick up truck. Super handy for trailer hook up and making sure you are in the garage far enough so the door clears, I just pop it into reverse before park to check I can clearly see the garage door tracks! I am not planning on hooking my XLR to a trailer, but I am sure paranoid about backing into something. :bawling: Especially cautious backing up at night with the top up: with the double vision between the windrestrictor and rear window adding to the difficulty.

So I wonder, other than adding a camera, would the GM Silverado mirror also be 'plug and play"? Does anyone know how the screen receives the signal? Would it have to be hard wired or is it wireless? :dunno: You got me thinking Fred!

I like backup cameras and have them in everything but the Caddy. Can't say for sure about the Chebby PU mirror, but I doubt it would be compatible let alone PNP. Does that mirror have a passenger airbag light and everything else on our mirrors?

In the aftermarket world there are both wired and wireless cameras. Remember the wireless still requires power to be wired to both components. The monitor type is a big question. The mirror type are much smaller, I didn't think this would matter until I got one. The ones in the head unit are much better IMHO, but the mirror ones are still useful. There are monitors that attach to the visor that are kind of a compromise between the two.

For something a little different.... I have a nice phone mount and use my phone for navigation, communication, music and enhanced vehicle monitoring. I'm investigating a small wireless camera that could be viewable on the smartphone. I did this a while back, but that camera proved unreliable and hard to find. I'm hoping something better is available now.

I received an email from a guy that installed a back-up cam on his '05 XLR (using a rearview mirror from a CTS - compass, OnStar and back-up LCD screen).

Cadillac XLR Backup Camera</SPAN>

It is possible to install a backup camera in an XLR and have a look factory. I installed one in my 2005 by replacing the factory inside rearview mirror with one that has a 3.5” LCD monitor in the mirror. I purchased a LCD monitor auto dimming mirror with OnStar, compass, and temperature built into the mirror. Everything worked with the factory plug and the only sacrifice I had to make was giving up the map lights in the mirror. Well worth the sacrifice to have a color back up camera.
</SPAN>

Material List:
</SPAN>
GM Factory Mirror with 3.5” Backup Monitor,
</SPAN>www.autotoys.com</SPAN>
Compass, and Temperature Gauge #18054
</SPAN>
SKU18054
</SPAN>

[h=1] Jensen JCAM1 Universal Surface Mount </SPAN>www.sonicelectronix.com</SPAN></SPAN> [/h][h=1]Back-Up Rear View Camera</SPAN>[/h] or</SPAN>
Cadillac SRX CTS Backup Rear View
</SPAN>http://stores.ebay.com/YBMwarehouseUSA</SPAN>
Camera Monitor
</SPAN>

I received an email from a guy that installed a back-up cam on his '05 XLR (using a rearview mirror from a CTS - compass, OnStar and back-up LCD screen).

Cadillac XLR Backup Camera

It is possible to install a backup camera in an XLR and have a look factory. I installed one in my 2005 by replacing the factory inside rearview mirror with one that has a 3.5” LCD monitor in the mirror. I purchased a LCD monitor auto dimming mirror with OnStar, compass, and temperature built into the mirror. Everything worked with the factory plug and the only sacrifice I had to make was giving up the map lights in the mirror. Well worth the sacrifice to have a color back up camera.

Material List:

GM Factory Mirror with 3.5” Backup Monitor,
www.autotoys.com
Compass, and Temperature Gauge #18054

SKU18054

Jensen JCAM1 Universal Surface Mount www.sonicelectronix.com

Back-Up Rear View Camera

or
Cadillac SRX CTS Backup Rear View
http://stores.ebay.com/YBMwarehouseUSA
Camera Monitor

Good information. Thanks. A genuine mirror from a 2012 CTS w/GPS and LCD is $332 from gmpartsdirect.com. I wonder if one could be found at a junk yard? I would not like losing the lights and wonder how the camera connects. I would have to find a CTS wiring diagram to do a true comparison.

I wonder if they are the same size housing so that one could do a little surgery and combine the two?

I like backup cameras and have them in everything but the Caddy. Can't say for sure about the Chebby PU mirror, but I doubt it would be compatible let alone PNP. Does that mirror have a passenger airbag light and everything else on our mirrors?

In the aftermarket world there are both wired and wireless cameras. Remember the wireless still requires power to be wired to both components. The monitor type is a big question. The mirror type are much smaller, I didn't think this would matter until I got one. The ones in the head unit are much better IMHO, but the mirror ones are still useful. There are monitors that attach to the visor that are kind of a compromise between the two.

For something a little different.... I have a nice phone mount and use my phone for navigation, communication, music and enhanced vehicle monitoring. I'm investigating a small wireless camera that could be viewable on the smartphone. I did this a while back, but that camera proved unreliable and hard to find. I'm hoping something better is available now.

Hey Fred,
GoPro has a camera that feeds wireless to a smart phone. But, IMHO they are a bit large and somewhat $$$

From what I've seen the cts,srx,2012&13 camaros have the back up systems which should be compatible to some degree. The mirrors look alittle more rectangle. My question is their has to be a control module somewhere. When you shift in reverse the monitor illuminates. There has to be a switch on the shifter that tells when to turn on. The mirrors are about 100 bucks the factory harness 40 bucks, camera they had night vision ones and color but they were cheap 50 bucks. I didn't find the control module but would think you could get everything together for 300 and alittle dismantling and wiring.

From what I've seen the cts,srx,2012&13 camaros have the back up systems which should be compatible to some degree. The mirrors look alittle more rectangle. My question is their has to be a control module somewhere. When you shift in reverse the monitor illuminates. There has to be a switch on the shifter that tells when to turn on. The mirrors are about 100 bucks the factory harness 40 bucks, camera they had night vision ones and color but they were cheap 50 bucks. I didn't find the control module but would think you could get everything together for 300 and alittle dismantling and wiring.

The signal from the back-up lamps is already in the mirror on pin 9. Where did you find one for $100? The CTS mirror with LCD display I found was $332 online.

However, there is no existing network connection. I wonder how the temperature or direction display got it's information in the previous example? There are a few open pins that could be used for the video signal.

Has anyone seen a C7 mirror? I don't know if the C7 display is in the Nav unit or the mirror.

The signal from the back-up lamps is already in the mirror on pin 9. Where did you find one for $100? The CTS mirror with LCD display I found was $332 online.

However, there is no existing network connection. I wonder how the temperature or direction display got it's information in the previous example? There are a few open pins that could be used for the video signal.

Has anyone seen a C7 mirror? I don't know if the C7 display is in the Nav unit or the mirror.

The one I found was on eBay typed in cts backup mirror. It was a factory GM surplus brand new 89.99. As for the temp and direction can't it b part of the mirror. Didn't the one thread say he just pnp for the compass

The one I found was on eBay typed in cts backup mirror. It was a factory GM surplus brand new 89.99. As for the temp and direction can't it b part of the mirror. Didn't the one thread say he just pnp for the compass

I saw a lot of CTS mirrors on EBAY for that price, but not with the backup display. That is about the right price for one without the display. They came a number of different ways. W- W/O backup camera, W-W/O GPS.

The other post said everything worked (Temperature, direction and Back-up). The direction could be done internally but not the temperature. I can't believe that some wiring wasn't done. If for no other reason but to supply the video signal from the camera.

Well, to add another monkey out of the cage: how about some sort of tie into the NAV screen for the back up camera monitor?, can that be done? :reddevil

I saw a lot of CTS mirrors on EBAY for that price, but not with the backup display. That is about the right price for one without the display. They came a number of different ways. W- W/O backup camera, W-W/O GPS.

The other post said everything worked (Temperature, direction and Back-up). The direction could be done internally but not the temperature. I can't believe that some wiring wasn't done. If for no other reason but to supply the video signal from the camera.

I just went on eBay to double check and NEW! 2011-12-13 Camaro CTS SRX Autodim OnStar Backup Camera Mirror for 89.99 under what I listed before. I also believe that you'd have to run the wires. No way could we be that lucky.

I just went on eBay to double check and NEW! 2011-12-13 Camaro CTS SRX Autodim OnStar Backup Camera Mirror for 89.99 under what I listed before. I also believe that you'd have to run the wires. No way could we be that lucky.
item number?

If it is this one New 2011 12 13 Camaro cts SRX Autodim OnStar Backup Camera Mirror | eBay

The connector and mount are totally different than the XLR mirror. There is no room to have this plug located here in our cars and I have no idea how you would mount it to the windshield.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom