Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Arthritis Car Show & Shawshank Redemption Trail - July 5-9

Hope you guys have great weather. :thumbsup

Post LOTS of pictures!

Ok, shirt orders are in.

Cubby - One Men's Med
Chicago Dave - one 2XL, one XL , both Men's
Fireduck - one Men's Large

I am going to reduce the Rock Hall logo so it is below the XLR logo, but here is the embroidery going on the shirt. I will also put the Arthritis Foundation Car Show on the sleeve. If anyone else is interested, we can get Ladies styles as well.

I'll need orders by Wednesday night if anyone is still interested.

The shirts will be black, this is just a picture of the style of shirt.
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Teach me to be too busy with other stuff to check to see what is going on with the XLR group. Oh well. see you all there!

on our way

Rolling in 10 minutes :burnout::burnout::burnout:look out OHIO! ETA 7 hours!

Pictures from the first day of the trip. Travelled to Manfield Reformatory where the Shawshank Redemption was filmed. We had a private tour that last 3 hours and our tour guide took us to places that the regular tours don't go to. Toured Ohio Amish Country, Dinner at Mrs. Yoder's Kitchen and wound up the day at the Milersburg Brewery.
ca3d91a49fbc4359585389c3b7c939a5.jpg
e96445fb5a89620c2dbeb23ce4fc25c4.jpg
2eb3de9bd548d901fb30aa45ab64d895.jpg
f4b3dc79ab9c1bfb865309d34d36ea8d.jpg
094dfa24f6a24ce45bc85965ec2b7eac.jpg
bd5bbc555951a4588363cdbc13613b0e.jpg
96b980e43d2c28a116e073aba7720572.jpg
e0e2c7caec41b19d1a2316b5ac233f0b.jpg
8536763c75a43c572abc6025968218de.jpg
cb39ce87cba7b72c3f335629a587f6f8.jpg
1e7972e94375013b103fdb78681f73a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

More pictures
950d511bc28eadcfc91a120ffb4bd589.jpg

adcb617f62465ec158eced0e32064aad.jpg
1308b12a118dd366b3ec11f3fddcb711.jpg

20160707/0f796c881684e1c6f7ff4eaf9e70b5d1.jpg[/IMG]
dec9887a5af76ba23d8882306af64e43.jpg
372cc77f0424eb1f430dd427694c6f5a.jpg

Last edited:
Wow looks like an awesome tour!

Looks cool! Other than I wouldn't want to be locked up in that pen ...

Friday, we went to the Rock &Roll Hall of Fame (known as the Rock Hall). Had a great time re-living our younger years at the Rock Hall. Drove to Columbus and finished the day at the Haufbrauhaus Columbus - on of 12 in the world. The original is in Munich.

464a803c42ba0bf9f0cf04993b5535c2.jpg
3e7515cf4c285fb2a8a85e389dc717e9.jpg
50240e723744da3548ed82c36060f3c1.jpg
a0faaf63e2fe7a8fffbf93d57f5b760d.jpg
b2666f93bb4a0f21f7482ab5a79d2300.jpg
253138eb8b000ccf9c645a15e8cf27ba.jpg

9fa7f46fc31de5a4f4b98a340e70398e.jpg

Friday was the Cruise In. We had 6 XLR's and Chicago Dave's CTS wagon. We almost got our regular spot. The place was filling up quickly as we arrived. Not as many cars on Friday this year, I think the weather scared many away. The storms all went South of us and we saw a bunch of great cars. The best part of Friday is that Nils & Elise win top 100 - and a 6 ft trophy!

5ea6250778e96f9568639f01961a1188.jpg

ed9f7357ec44e9a4a09d9d36b3150d64.jpg
2b489012a79c7770d3175f14fc55cc73.jpg

380a0cf45cb56a7646e51c4b505c67e5.jpg
86de66b0e83f25a2bab68a0de204a89a.jpg

Last edited:

Finally, Saturday is here. The Main Event, The Arthritis Foundation Car Show featured over 1200 cars from modern cars to 100+ year old cars and over 30 classes were judged. Cubby and Supa won Best of Show for the Cadillac Roaster class as well as the XLR-V. Sandy & Steve (Graytoad) won for XLR class. This show raises funds for a great cause - Arthritis Research. This was its 34th year. Congratulations to the winners!
We finished up the day at the Blarney Stone Tavern. Safe travels home!
675c344908ed45f309e87fd2399141a0.jpg
36bd897d7b960d0fc917ae6c61af6619.jpg
0a9d3f25585ea5b07564747cae8bb76d.jpg
b9ad48856a39b58d8785fee7e7f9a243.jpg

One of the featured Marquees was the Shelby Cobra. Here is a beautifully restored Shelby
1204c7cdb935842baef91c265882919a.jpg
673833e2950fe8d0e863a7fc4a7143e1.jpg
07438953ed3c876a9e69184d0dd3cadd.jpg
1d0174670a90c7cffb879cff12d5bc3e.jpg

Here's the Whole Gang!

Some really good photos. Looks like a fun and interesting meet. Sorry I didn't join you.

WINNER - Tough Luck Award

Firstly - Just so you know - We had a fantastic time BUT none the less I think I earned a couple of 'there-there's' combined with a pat on the back or a group hug :grouphug: and have earned the Tough Luck Award.
Project1.jpg
Tuesday the 5th we were virtually all set to leave for the show, trunk packed, just going over my mental check list (which - btw - my mental check list needs some help) when Steve pushed the button to close the trunk - - - half way down then stopped, tried again, then again, doors didn't want to open etc: we realized we had trouble :mad: The car always has a Battery Tender on it when it is not being actively driven but it was actually the original battery in the car. I usually get it tested each year but never did this year.... figures eh!

Fast forward 2 1/2 hours later, after having used a booster box to get the car to start and saw that they system was charging etc we managed to get it to our favorite repair shop and get a new battery installed - and we were on our way!

As a side note to the gang: Sorry we arrived at the BnB so late: everyone was nice enough to wait for us before departing for dinner. We had figured we would arrive 3:30 or 4 pm and rolled in around 7:15 pm.

Fast forward once again to today. On our way home we were driving around 65 mph in a section of I-90 that was under construction, 2 narrow lanes of traffic with concrete barriers immediately on the edge of the left lane and no shoulder on the right lane - when we suddenly hit something. Neither of us saw anything but we were changing lanes from left to right and we both think the front tire popped out one of the road reflectors and the rear tire ran over it having its spike pierce our tire. It was a heck of a racket as it went around a couple of times beating against the wheel well before it finally flew out then a few moments later we had a full on flat. We turned on the 4 ways and slowed down but had to limp along about an 1/8 of a mile to find a safe spot to pull over. All the while there was a terrible flapping noise: I though the tire was flying apart taking my fender with it, but we finally happened to come upon a narrow 'emergency vehicle only' pull off. Did I tell you also that we were on a sweeping curve and having just passed under a bridge with its support pillars dangerously close to the temporary lanes we were in?

My XLR does not have 'run flats' but I do have a compressor and a tire plug kit and AAA but there was a chunk of rubber sticking out of the hole in the center of my tread and we knew it was beyond my tire repair kit: besides the point that we were barely off the travel lanes of I-90 - way too dangerous even if it was the passenger rear.

I crawled out of the passengers seat (Steve was driving) fearing the worst but all was good, the sidewall was folded under the rim and amazingly there appears to be no rim damage.

Anyway, the flat bed truck was there way faster than they said: he arrived with a regular tow truck as back up for extra flashing lights etc and they were very careful with my baby, added extra ramps to keep from ripping off the nose and used a strap instead of the hook on the tow line.

We ended up at a WalMart; certainly not my first choice but one of the only choices in that area on a Sunday afternoon. The young guy that helped us was as careful - yes I showed the diagrams in my manual where the jack points were and actually had to get a new jack that would fit under the car he got us fixed up quickly. Part of the Walmart policy on tire changes is all cars must be run in a figure 8 loop 5 or 6 times out back where it is recorded on their security camera system as proof they are checked, then re-torqued them again. So here is this young guy in his early 20 at most out back driving an XLR in figure 8's; bet you he will be talking about that for a while. Anyway, they had me back on the road exactly 2 hours after I dialed my CAA/AAA number. :burnout:

I run Michelin's but now have one Dunlop on the right rear which I will replace this week along with the drivers side rear so I don't run in circles :thumbsup . The tires only have about 18,000 miles on them and I bought hazard warranty so wish me luck this wont cost me too much more.

Her she is; sitting forlornly on the flat bed :(...... it is kind of a selfie: that is me too, Steve was in the front seat with Nick our tow truck guy.
20160710_124301.jpg

Anyway, other than a few minor silly things I have never had any real trouble with this car at all so I guess I was due. This has just added some extra excitement to a fantastic trip with some great XLR friends.

Last edited:
Aggghhh!

Oh, Sandy and Steve! So glad that you got home 'safely'. Guess the big guy upstairs didn't think you had enough excitement this week. We really enjoyed our time with you and are looking forward to our next adventure.:wave:

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

Here is one more we need to add!

Attachments

• rf_ph1_070716_115914822_01_rfadfmn8985!.jpg
    rf_ph1_070716_115914822_01_rfadfmn8985!.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 345
Sandy, so sorry you had troubles, but glad they took care of your baby. It was good to meet you and Steve this week. I'm glad you guys finally made it home safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firstly - Just so you know - We had a fantastic time BUT none the less I think I earned a couple of 'there-there's' combined with a pat on the back or a group hug :grouphug: and have earned the Tough Luck Award.
View attachment 6504
Tuesday the 5th we were virtually all set to leave for the show, trunk packed, just going over my mental check list (which - btw - my mental check list needs some help) when Steve pushed the button to close the trunk - - - half way down then stopped, tried again, then again, doors didn't want to open etc: we realized we had trouble :mad: The car always has a Battery Tender on it when it is not being actively driven but it was actually the original battery in the car. I usually get it tested each year but never did this year.... figures eh!

Fast forward 2 1/2 hours later, after having used a booster box to get the car to start and saw that they system was charging etc we managed to get it to our favorite repair shop and get a new battery installed - and we were on our way!

As a side note to the gang: Sorry we arrived at the BnB so late: everyone was nice enough to wait for us before departing for dinner. We had figured we would arrive 3:30 or 4 pm and rolled in around 7:15 pm.

Fast forward once again to today. On our way home we were driving around 65 mph in a section of I-90 that was under construction, 2 narrow lanes of traffic with concrete barriers immediately on the edge of the left lane and no shoulder on the right lane - when we suddenly hit something. Neither of us saw anything but we were changing lanes from left to right and we both think the front tire popped out one of the road reflectors and the rear tire ran over it having its spike pierce our tire. It was a heck of a racket as it went around a couple of times beating against the wheel well before it finally flew out then a few moments later we had a full on flat. We turned on the 4 ways and slowed down but had to limp along about an 1/8 of a mile to find a safe spot to pull over. All the while there was a terrible flapping noise: I though the tire was flying apart taking my fender with it, but we finally happened to come upon a narrow 'emergency vehicle only' pull off. Did I tell you also that we were on a sweeping curve and having just passed under a bridge with its support pillars dangerously close to the temporary lanes we were in?

My XLR does not have 'run flats' but I do have a compressor and a tire plug kit and AAA but there was a chunk of rubber sticking out of the hole in the center of my tread and we knew it was beyond my tire repair kit: besides the point that we were barely off the travel lanes of I-90 - way too dangerous even if it was the passenger rear.

I crawled out of the passengers seat (Steve was driving) fearing the worst but all was good, the sidewall was folded under the rim and amazingly there appears to be no rim damage.

Anyway, the flat bed truck was there way faster than they said: he arrived with a regular tow truck as back up for extra flashing lights etc and they were very careful with my baby, added extra ramps to keep from ripping off the nose and used a strap instead of the hook on the tow line.

We ended up at a WalMart; certainly not my first choice but one of the only choices in that area on a Sunday afternoon. The young guy that helped us was as careful - yes I showed the diagrams in my manual where the jack points were and actually had to get a new jack that would fit under the car he got us fixed up quickly. Part of the Walmart policy on tire changes is all cars must be run in a figure 8 loop 5 or 6 times out back where it is recorded on their security camera system as proof they are checked, then re-torqued them again. So here is this young guy in his early 20 at most out back driving an XLR in figure 8's; bet you he will be talking about that for a while. Anyway, they had me back on the road exactly 2 hours after I dialed my CAA/AAA number. :burnout:

I run Michelin's but now have one Dunlop on the right rear which I will replace this week along with the drivers side rear so I don't run in circles :thumbsup . The tires only have about 18,000 miles on them and I bought hazard warranty so wish me luck this wont cost me too much more.

Her she is; sitting forlornly on the flat bed :(...... it is kind of a selfie: that is me too, Steve was in the front seat with Nick our tow truck guy.
View attachment 6505

Anyway, other than a few minor silly things I have never had any real trouble with this car at all so I guess I was due. This has just added some extra excitement to a fantastic trip with some great XLR friends.

I forgot to add that I had set my trip meter when we left home and we put on 2,073 klms which is 1,288 miles.... plus of course approximately 15 more miles on the tow truck! :laugh:

Wow, what a bunch of adventures!

Congrats to the award winners! Nils & Elise, guess it's safe to say you guys drove home with the top down -- & several feet of trophy sticking up?! :rocker:

Sandy, glad you & Steve got home safe & sound. Hopefully you've knocked out all the possible problems in one shot!

graytoad's tire rupture

Sandy,

Glad to hear that your tire rupture turned out as well as it did! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

For me personally, this just reinforces my thoughts that when I replace the tires on Crimson Pearl, I'm going to stick with run-flats!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom