Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Audio/NAV system

rgd

My XLR/V(s)
2009 Black XLR
Has anyone upgraded their sound/navigation system to an after market system..... sucessfully ?

Navigation system question

I have never taken my x out of region 3. I have a trip to arizona planned. I went to that region and inputted the addresses ok.

When I drive over do I have to change regions when I exit california to AZ and then back on the return or does the system automatically do it once the different region addresses are loaded.

thanks

JIM

I ran my NAV from NYC to Denver without changing regions with no problem... I did change my region once I got out here, but it got me here with no issues... except that nice officer in Nebraska who spend a 1/2 hour talking cars and not giving me a ticket for 110 in a 65. :)

I have never taken my x out of region 3. I have a trip to arizona planned. I went to that region and inputted the addresses ok.

When I drive over do I have to change regions when I exit california to AZ and then back on the return or does the system automatically do it once the different region addresses are loaded.

thanks

JIM

Once the address is inputted, the NAV system will get you there perfectly. When I went to San Antonio, TX a couple years ago, I wondered the same thing, but it worked as it exactly as it was designed and got me to San Antonio with no problems.

Nebraska troopers are nicer than Kansas

JT.. Lucky you werent driving in Kansas.. They nailed me there for 72 in a 65...bummer

Has anyone upgraded their sound/navigation system to an after market system..... sucessfully ?

Our 05 has an aftermarket system that was installed by the person we bought it from. It is a Kenwood DNX 8120, gps navigation system, monitor with dvd receiver DDX 812, DDX 8032BT. It will play about any kind of dvd/disk, (music,movies) The sound is FANTASTIC -over the top, even with stock speakers. It has an I-Pod plug, and a USB plug, in the glove box. Also XM radio. They are controlled on the touch screen. ( or with the remote) The GPS is Garmin. We have updated it once with new maps. The unit also has inputs for cameras. Great unit; haven't had any problems. So it can be done.

It absolutly can be done. The most important part of the installation is if the installer is as familiar with the XLR as he may be with car audio.

There are kits to connect the wiring appropriately and to retain the controls on the steering wheel, and even work arounds to some of the difficulties involved with customizing the GM technology mess.

If someone does not know what they are doing you could have some bizarre problems with things such as retained access power, cruise control, and other basic features GM decided to route thru the entertainment system. If you do your homework ahead of time though you could get just about any after market stereo in there without any problems.

There are a couple really good threads on here about the subject that may be helpful to you as well.

Another navigation system question

How do you turn off the navigations system and leave the map running. I know the system turns off the directions after you arrive at the destination. Is there a way to turn the directions off before you arrive?

How do you turn off the navigations system and leave the map running. I know the system turns off the directions after you arrive at the destination. Is there a way to turn the directions off before you arrive?

I don't have my owner's manual in front of me, and the car is still in storage. But, I think you touch the "change destination" and then you can cancel the current routing.

No luck

:dunno:Maybe I am doing something wrong but even trying to change destinations would not turn the system off.. and to change destinations you have to be stopped. Gotta be a better way?

:dunno:Maybe I am doing something wrong but even trying to change destinations would not turn the system off.. and to change destinations you have to be stopped. Gotta be a better way?

In order to do anything with the Nav system, you have to be stopped... it's one of the prerequisites to the system. Guess I'll have to wait until I get the car out of storage... maybe in a couple weeks. That is, if someone doesn't beat me to the post...

There is a way to control the NAV system for the 2006 XLRs and earlier. I do this when I'm by myselt before I start my trips, while the engine is warming up but if you have a passenger, it can be done by her/him while moving.

There is a hidden Touchscreen Button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen when you're in the "Plan Route" screen. Just hold your finger there for about 5 to 15 seconds and another screen will replace the "Plan Route" screen.
Touch the "RUN" button on this screen then up in the right-hand corner of the screen, under the temp. display, there is a "Return" button which you can only see about a 1/16th of bottom of and you have to use your finger nail to touch it.
This will return you to the "Plan Route" screen and give you full access to control the NAV system while you're driving.

I don't know if this will work on the 2007 to 2009 xlrs as I found this info on the other XLR Forum in the Thread "You guys will love this".

I also don't know if this will let you watch DVDs while driving but there is another Thread that tells how to do that.

I also would like to advise you to NOT do these while driving by yourself, IT ISN'T SAFE FOR YOU OR OTHERS!

Jack,

I've seen this quite awhile back and most people that tried it were '04 & 05 owners, you are the first '06 owner to state it works for them. You have now peeked my interest and I'll have to give it a try.

There is a way to control the NAV system for the 2006 XLRs and earlier. I do this when I'm by myselt before I start my trips, while the engine is warming up but if you have a passenger, it can be done by her/him while moving.

There is a hidden Touchscreen Button in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen when you're in the "Plan Route" screen. Just hold your finger there for about 5 to 15 seconds and another screen will replace the "Plan Route" screen.
Touch the "RUN" button on this screen then up in the right-hand corner of the screen, under the temp. display, there is a "Return" button which you can only see about a 1/16th of bottom of and you have to use your finger nail to touch it.
This will return you to the "Plan Route" screen and give you full access to control the NAV system while you're driving.

I don't know if this will work on the 2007 to 2009 xlrs as I found this info on the other XLR Forum in the Thread "You guys will love this".

I also don't know if this will let you watch DVDs while driving but there is another Thread that tells how to do that.

I also would like to advise you to NOT do these while driving by yourself, IT ISN'T SAFE FOR YOU OR OTHERS!

Both tricks for operating nav while driving, and watching dvds while driving, were mostly only applicable to the 04 and 05 models. It appears this is also the case in the earlier VIN #s for 06. At some point during the production of 06 models the software was corrected to prevent these work-arounds.

If you have an 04 or 05 and these procedures do not work it is most likely at some point when you had your car serviced at the dealer they updated the software.

I wasn't really ever able to get the nav function to work while in motion, but I was able to view dvds in motion by entering the code. After a service at cadillac my software was updated and that code no longer works in my car.

I am very curious about this nav commander previously mentioned. DVDs are pretty much a novelty to me because I can't watch them while I drive, and I don't ever expect to be in the passenger seat of my XLR because I don't think I would ever let anyone else drive it. The ability to control certain features of the nav without holding up a traffic light or pulling into the shoulder though would make me ecstatic!!!!!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom