Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Both Lift Cylinders for Hood Shocks Failed?

SanDiegoXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Platinum with Shale
Hi All,
Strangest thing happened today- opened the hood to my car, and the hood kept coming down. Had to use a board to prop it up.
Is it possible that both ofthe hood lift cylinders (gas struts) failed at the same time?
I could understand maybe one not working, but both seems sorta odd. :mad:
Is there a way to adjust them?

If not, are they easy to replace? Is this the correct part I need to buy?
BODY HARDWARE / HOOD / HOOD / LIFT CYLINDER LIFT CYLINDER XLR
Luckily they are only $31 on gmpartsdirect.com

Thanks,
Mark

I would say one has failed, but you need both to hold the hood up. Mine did this last fall, so I ordered two and then changed out one at a time (only one seemed weak, but I changed them both). I kept the good one for a spare. Pretty simple to replace!:)

Hi All,
Strangest thing happened today- opened the hood to my car, and the hood kept coming down. Had to use a board to prop it up.
Is it possible that both ofthe hood lift cylinders (gas struts) failed at the same time?

Thanks,
Mark

Hood struts

The hood won`t stay open with one good strut, so you may have only one bad one. I have the same problem with my car. The bad strut, upper shaft is a little oily and there is some oil film on the lower shaft where the upper shaft enters the lower section. I bought 2 just incase. You need only the struts. No hardware is required. The strut is held in postion by a clip on both ball pins. Just pry them out with a pick and push back into place when mounted on the pins. Good luck. You will need to support the hood when removing the strut.

Well, good to know I'm not the only that has happened to. Sounds like it's easy to fix. :D

Are there different part #'s for the left lift cylinder versus the right lift cylinder?

I tried ordering on GMPartsdirect, and the only part # showing up is: 10446862

Thanks!

Hi All,

Thanks,
Mark

Mark, I think cold weather has a lot of effect on these shocks. I've noticed that my hood will stay up in my garage but if I leave it out over night in this cold weather, it won't stay up until it gets warmer or after it's been back in the garage for several hours.
I have the same problem with my 2000 Dodge Durango 4x4 toy hauler. The back hatch will not stay up until the weather warms up.
But none of mine show any sign of oil leakage like yours so I think you need to replace them.
Good Luck:wave:

struts

There is only part# because the strut fits fits both sides. They are gas charged under pressure, the cold will affect them the same way as it does with your tire pressure.

Aftermarket may have a fitment for less money than OEM.

Yes... check with your local Oreillys Auto Parts or similar. Just tell them the year, make, & model and they'll be able to fix you up for maybe around $20 ea.

Great.....thanks everyone.
We've had unusually cold weather here in SD- so I'm sure that's impacting the cylinders.
Thanks for the idea for using generic replacements....I'll check at PepBoys.

Great.....thanks everyone.
We've had unusually cold weather here in SD- so I'm sure that's impacting the cylinders.
Thanks for the idea for using generic replacements....I'll check at PepBoys.

As a plus... aftermarket struts are usually lifetime warranty!! Also, I wouldn't replace just one; replace both. When the hood is pulled down with one strong strut and one weak, the weak strut starts down and the strong one is still up, so the hood can twist ever so slightly and cause stress on the fiberglass hood...

My hood is having the same problem now. The last time I raised it for a show, the next thing I knew the hood slammed shut. Today when I was showing my moms friend. It started to go down on his head. Maybe I think the car doesn't want anyone looking underneath her hood except me.
The price list I have for these struts list them for $50.59. Part number 10446862

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No need to buy the GM-specific version.
The hood struts are very generic parts-----bought generic ones from O'Reillys, and they have worked flawlessly for 1/2 the price!

--------------------------------------------

My hood is having the same problem now. The last time I raised it for a show, the next thing I knew the hood slammed shut. Today when I was showing my moms friend. It started to go down on his head. Maybe I think the car doesn't want anyone looking underneath her hood except me.
The price list I have for these struts list them for $50.59. Part number 10446862

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a similar situation with my hood struts. Local XLR tech said both should be replaced even if one was faulty. My GMPP covered their replacement at a cost of about $53 ($50 deductible). Probably one of the last uses of GMPP as it expires in about 800 miles : (

Hood Struts

I have a 2008 with 47,000 miles. I now need to replace the hood struts a second time. I drive in Honolulu, so cold is not an issue. Thank you SanDiegoXLR for the O'Reilly tip. I will be there tomorrow. In my experience, a lot of GM accessory parts are junk.

You could also purchase hood strut clamps. You can buy them anywhere. I need not be concerned when working under my hood.

http://www.shockclamp.com

The 1st picture in the ad is an XLR in the best of colors including a 2 minute video.

Last edited:
Banging your head while under the hood,,,,

Many of the national parts stores that carry hood struts,,,their struts are made by Arvin-Meritor under several 'house brand names'. While they are OK, they usually don't last much longer than 2 years on the outside edge of time.

If you can't find them at your local parts store, here is a good online supplier: 2006 Cadillac Xlr Base Convertible 2door Lift Support

Depending on the brand name selected, cost around $23 to $25 each. Trunk struts also available at Lift Support Depot.com

** If you want to buy much better struts with increased gas pressure, better seals, and longer life, try: Lift Support Technologies Gas Springs - Custom to Spring Lift < > Highly recommend

I have a 2008 with 47,000 miles. I now need to replace the hood struts a second time. I drive in Honolulu, so cold is not an issue. Thank you SanDiegoXLR for the O'Reilly tip. I will be there tomorrow. In my experience, a lot of GM accessory parts are junk.

As it so happens I am having some major warranty work done on my XLR this week and decided to have my failing hood struts replaced at the dealer since they're actually covered under my warranty. :thumbsup

So the brand new struts I purchased several months ago from Amazon for $50 are available to the first taker, shipping included for the lower 48. I know this probably belong in the "for sale" thread and I intend to post there as well, but seeing as this is so specific to your need I just figured I'd give you the option.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom