Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Brakes for my V

Rule62

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Sable Black XLR/V
So, my new (to me) '06 V has 40K on it and it appears to have the original brakes on it.

What's my best option to replace them without paying dealer prices? I have a local mechanic who I trust and who will install my parts.

Stoptech? AC Delco? Brembo? Amazon is full of suggestions.

Also, should I have the rotors cut or just replace them?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks- :dunno:

Welcome to this awesome forum you find great people with a lot of knowledge! Congrats on the purchase of your new to you toy..... also check out out the upcoming East Coast XLR gathering event in Myrtle Beach area first week of May 2015
Brakes are a easy exchange about the same as any car so your mechanic should be able to do them. As for the parts I'd say are more of what you like as for the rotors last I checked it cost about the same as buying new regular rotors unless you're upgrading to a new style with holes / slots and they may even surprise you price wise.
For the brakes pads maybe some guys that changed theirs can chime in with some advice. I know some are using ceramic!
Good Luck and wishing you plenty of topless rides!
Here in PA we are about done for this season and Roxy soon going into storage for the wintertime!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
Well I'm probably looking at either new tires or new brake soon( 3-5 more months) maybe. And maybe while they do the tires /brakes I could have my calipers powder coated.

So, my new (to me) '06 V has 40K on it and it appears to have the original brakes on it.

What's my best option to replace them without paying dealer prices? I have a local mechanic who I trust and who will install my parts.

Stoptech? AC Delco? Brembo? Amazon is full of suggestions.

Also, should I have the rotors cut or just replace them?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks- :dunno:

IMHO Replace the rotors. When shopping remember our brakes are the same as a C6 Corvette with a Z51 package. You will find lots to offer for those. Beware of changing to a "big brake kit" for the 'vette as there is a problem with fitting behind stock wheels. Check it if you have aftermarket wheels.

I just did this on my V and went with 2 piece DBA rotors in the front and single piece DBA in the rear. I went with Hawk HPS pads. I also changed the lines to braided while at it.

Don't loose sight that this is a street machine. Brakes are one area that what is good for the track does NOT work well on the street.

HTH

20140518_155327.jpg

Thanks phred. I'll keep this in mind for when I'm looking for new brakes.

Guy keep in mind if you want to keep the XLR lettering on the front calipers you may want to have your original front redone!
0316911fdf588da6360e11c37c75097b.jpg

The rears don't have the letters on them!
dbf72dba4a4269375c79b451de6578e3.jpg

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
Guy keep in mind if you want to keep the XLR lettering on the front calipers you may want to have your original front redone!
0316911fdf588da6360e11c37c75097b.jpg

The rears don't have the letters on them!
dbf72dba4a4269375c79b451de6578e3.jpg

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes that I know. That why when she's ready for new shoes. Then that's the best time to get this done.

When I mentioned the Z51 package I was talking about Vs only, like the OP has.

IMHO Replace the rotors. When shopping remember our brakes are the same as a C6 Corvette with a Z51 package. You will find lots to offer for those. Beware of changing to a "big brake kit" for the 'vette as there is a problem with fitting behind stock wheels. Check it if you have aftermarket wheels.

I just did this on my V and went with 2 piece DBA rotors in the front and single piece DBA in the rear. I went with Hawk HPS pads. I also changed the lines to braided while at it.

Don't loose sight that this is a street machine. Brakes are one area that what is good for the track does NOT work well on the street.

HTH

View attachment 4663

I LOVE the red calipers!! Did you paint/powder coat them yourself or did a shop do it for you?

What kind braided lines did you purchase and where? Perhaps, you wouldn't mind messaging me the detail on model numbers for the rotos and pads I'd be very grateful.

This is exactly the kind of set-up I'm looking for. Thank you so much for posting this!

Last edited:
I LOVE the red calipers!! Did you paint/powder coat them yourself or did a shop do it for you?

What kind braided lines did you purchase and where? Perhaps, you wouldn't mind messaging me the detail on model numbers for the rotos and pads I'd be very grateful.

This is exactly the kind of set-up I'm looking for. Thank you so much for posting this!

I just painted the calipers. Not as durable as powder coated, but so far so good. I'll powder coat in time.

The lines are Goodridge.

Everything can be found here KNS Brakes

I also used ATE SL.6 fluid.

Hey Phrede - is this the fluid you mentioned above?

Amazon.com: ATE 706402 Original SL.6 DOT 4 Brake Fluid - 1 Liter: Automotive

What's the capacity of the XLR-V braking system?

That's the stuff.

I used about 1.5 cans. It's not so much the capacity but how much is used for bleeding. I screwed up once and let the master cylinder go dry. It was early in the process but still..... I was by myself using a vacuum pump.

FWIW I used my Tech 2 bleed routine that cycles the ABS when bleeding.

All ur rotors are powder coated and if yours are old they're probably rusted around the edge and close to the center, I would suggest changing out the rotors and go with GM parts no matter who you deal with, they won't dustup and make squeaky noises

All ur rotors are powder coated and if yours are old they're probably rusted around the edge and close to the center, I would suggest changing out the rotors and go with GM parts no matter who you deal with, they won't dustup and make squeaky noises

Sorry my rotors are not powder coated, they're anodized. I'm very happy with my DBA rotors.

Welcome to this awesome forum you find great people with a lot of knowledge! Congrats on the purchase of your new to you toy..... also check out out the upcoming East Coast XLR gathering event in Myrtle Beach area first week of May 2015
Brakes are a easy exchange about the same as any car so your mechanic should be able to do them. As for the parts I'd say are more of what you like as for the rotors last I checked it cost about the same as buying new regular rotors unless you're upgrading to a new style with holes / slots and they may even surprise you price wise.
For the brakes pads maybe some guys that changed theirs can chime in with some advice. I know some are using ceramic!
Good Luck and wishing you plenty of topless rides!
Here in PA we are about done for this season and Roxy soon going into storage for the wintertime!!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"
I use ceramic on all my vehicle. Better stopping power and les dust on wheels.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom