Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Clicks behind dash

MPRCTCL

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR-V
As I threatened, I'm starting to post questions about XLR operation - what is normal vs what might be a problem.

When I get into the car, before starting it, I get a series of quiet clicks somewhere behind the dash. A get another set when I first step on the brake pedal and more when I shut the car off. It sounds like a relay chattering; like a fast ratchet sound.

It is along the centerline of the dash, somewhere around the radio.

Is that typical of the vehicle, or should I start searching for a problem?

Thanks!

I would say it’s normal. Both of ours do it, & my Base XLR does it even after putting in an aftermarket stereo (didn’t change the stereo because of that but did think it might stop it). Nothing bigger has come from it after 8 years of ownership. :wave:

I agree with Amy. Most of the sounds you are hearing, is the car 'waking up' after sensing the fob. Pressing on the brake to start the car, sends voltage to the solenoid that controls allowing the shifter out of park, another clicking sound you probably hear.

Yep, get used to the light clicking. It's inherent in these cars. Most of the time I don't even hear them anymore/pay attention to them anymore

I thought we had a explanation on this before. Some of the sounds are the "vanes" that direct air flow in the AC/heater. Wasn't it CClark that said something about this?

I would say it’s normal. Both of ours do it, & my Base XLR does it even after putting in an aftermarket stereo (didn’t change the stereo because of that but did think it might stop it). Nothing bigger has come from it after 8 years of ownership. :wave:

Thanks. That’s exactly the kind of thing a forum is so useful for. Knowing when to, and when not to worry about something.

I thought we had a explanation on this before. Some of the sounds are the "vanes" that direct air flow in the AC/heater. Wasn't it CClark that said something about this?

Correct. One set of noises is the AC rolling film mode door, and the click heard when depressing the brake pedal is the transmission shift lock solenoid.

CCC :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back