Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Coolant Replacement

6444johnf

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR
Looks like I've reached the recommended coolant drain/replace point (5 years). I've done this sort of thing before on numerous other cars. But before I drag the big ramps, I'll ask if there is anything XLR-specific I might want to know. In particular, will there be any issues getting to or opening the radiator drain plug? Is there an engine block drain plug? As per the specification the correct coolant & distilled water will be used. From my research a vacuum pump & engine speed will remove the air pockets.
<!-- / message -->

I haven't changed my coolant yet so I can't speak about that. But good luck getting car on ramps..... I dont think you can do it, in fact I am considering throwing mine out....

I put my "X" on my Race Ramps a lot of times, no problem!

I have 'Race Ramps' as well and have no problem getting my XLR-V or CTS-V on them at all.

As far as changing coolant, I haven't done it, but am probably due. Let us know how it goes.

for the price, a coolant flush is not that high tech, just get it done at a local GM dealer.
i am going to the GM corvette dealer near my home rather than the cadillac dealer who is farther away.
the xlr is laid out very similar to the C6, and a flush and fill for around $100 is worth it.
and they will use the GM recommended coolant.
i'll probably get the transmission done at the same time.
at 50k miles i know i'll be set for a long time.
the flush systems are designed to replace 100% of the fluid, by using the cars own pumps to circulate.
its a simple safe process.
can only do damage if something is already seriously wrong with the vehicle..
the drain and fill on the coolant and the tranny are such a PITA without a lift,
i used to do it on my other cars, just not worth the hassle anymore.
and to test the proper fill on the trans, the car/trans has to be at temp, and you gotta go under again. ugh.
my local GM dealer told me all this so i know they know what to do, it was refreshing to hear somebody with a clue.
i'll watch them , make sure they do it properly!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom